• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#61 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 03:01 AM

After watching this online ...I think people are letting the fact that they have wanted to see a Star Trek movie for so long affect their attitude with this movie. There are plot holes, far too many moments of convenience, and some bad direction and acting. It lacks the heart of the original back when substance was more important than flash. Speaking of flash the lens flairs are used to a point of nauseum because Abrams is trying to look fancy as opposed to simply directing. What is good? Quinto is great, as is Bana, so is Greenberg (although I liked Hunter's Pike better, Greenberg is simply one of the best actors working today but I found him more Kirk-like than Pine). The Kobyashi Maru test was funny but Abrams had to hit the humor with a hammer instead of just letting it happen. The special effects are top notch but the same thing "the onion" criticized previous treks for (too much thought and dialogue) is why it is sad to see Star Trek dumb downed for a new generation. I'd predict that this movie does well initially due to the bubble gum mentality nowadays they will quickly loose interest in chewing this gum when a new flavor comes out and they will move onto the next "thrill".

#62 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

I liked it except for one thing, Kirk gets beat up more then Archer. LOL .

#63 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

I'll be seeing it for a third time today. I have minor problems with it, but that's what they are- minor. I overall loved it and can't wait to see it again.

I don't think this is spoilery, but if you haven't seen it, you may want to skip this-

I got chills at the scene where the Enterprise rises out of the debris cloud around Saturn. I honestly can't remember the last time a movie really, REALLY gave me chills.

Sallah

#64 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (DavAnthony @ May 9 2009, 04:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After watching this online ...I think people are letting the fact that they have wanted to see a Star Trek movie for so long affect their attitude with this movie. There are plot holes, far too many moments of convenience, and some bad direction and acting. It lacks the heart of the original back when substance was more important than flash. Speaking of flash the lens flairs are used to a point of nauseum because Abrams is trying to look fancy as opposed to simply directing. What is good? Quinto is great, as is Bana, so is Greenberg (although I liked Hunter's Pike better, Greenberg is simply one of the best actors working today but I found him more Kirk-like than Pine). The Kobyashi Maru test was funny but Abrams had to hit the humor with a hammer instead of just letting it happen. The special effects are top notch but the same thing "the onion" criticized previous treks for (too much thought and dialogue) is why it is sad to see Star Trek dumb downed for a new generation. I'd predict that this movie does well initially due to the bubble gum mentality nowadays they will quickly loose interest in chewing this gum when a new flavor comes out and they will move onto the next "thrill".

We seem to be in the minority it seems. The Kobyashi Maru IMO seemed very rushed and contrived. Some sets were terrible, like enginnerring which looked like one on those chemical warehouses on "24" with all the pipes and stuff. Did we really need the Scotty humour there? The snow chase seemed straight from "Galaxy Quest". And in the end, movies 1-6 can't have happened because of a specific planet no longer being there.

Trek works with a revenge plot line if its believeable. It carried us through movies 2-6. First Khan, then Kirk and the Klingons. That hate of the Klingons by the end and him putting it behind for the greater good, gave us a Klingon alliance and the future with TNG. Now they have gone with revenge here that was settled, (unless Spock goes after a certain enemy in a future endeavor) and also the Death Star plot line. Where else can they go from here? New life and new civilazations might make good TV episodes, but not good movies, as in Insurrection.

#65 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

I've skipped most comments... and I am leaving in about ten minutes to drop the kids off at my in-laws and my wife is taking me into town to see Star Trek on the big screen. I am so excited right now! I have waited all week to see this. laugh.gif

#66 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

I knew going into this movie that it wasn't going to be the same old Star Trek, and after reading the reviews it seemed like the movie had something special that made up for it and could stand on it's own as a new Star Trek. I was prepared to accept this but I found that there was really nothing substantial that made it worth it. I think the movie can be enjoyed by a traditional Star Trek fan because it has those moments where it reminds you of Star Trek and it has been a long time for us since we have seen new Star Trek. The movie seems to be a dumbed down version of Star Trek a bunch of flashy effects, big name actors, and edgy camera worked wrapped around a very empty and flawed space based action movie. That on it's own wouldn't be that bad but the viewer is asked to give up so much. When you are dealing with something like Star Trek it is more than just a movie it's a whole fictional universe, this is what Star Trek fans are drawn to. Now with this movie we are told within this fictional universe that everything we have watched from the past 40 years simply didn't happen now. So now there is a dilemma as a fan we can choose to watch this movie and accept it as part of the Star Trek universe and everything in every other movie and series is changed or just watch it enjoy it and not associate it with other Star Trek. Now there is the potential in the future movies that they could correct this but that would be almost as bad since it would ruin the movie, it would be like the season of Dallas that was all a dream.

On another note I think this movie will do great things for the Star Trek toy market. It is most definitely a movie for kids. In fact I could easily imagine a cartoon based on the movie, and hey the Enterprise already looks like a cartoon version.

#67 Kordon

Kordon

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

There were some things in the movie i liked and some i didnt. Spoilers start here (highlight to reveal)>Vulcan destroyed?? So i guess there wont be a Tuvok. Delta shields on the kelvin crew? A wharehouse full of pipes as main engineering? spocks mom dead.< seems to me abrams didint even care about trek lore or cannon.
he just wanted it his way. There is alot to fix from this movie.

#68 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

I did get to see it to day, and I think Roger Eberts review sums it up for me...

QUOTE ("Roger Ebert")

#69 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 09 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

I saw it just a few hours ago and I have to say it was okay. I didn't love it, but I do think it will be new life for the franchise.

If you liked the camera play of the Transformers, where there are a billion things going on on the screen at at time and right in your face with a shaky camera, then this will work for you.

Things I liked: Everyone except Saldana, the story was pretty cool, the new designs of the ships, and some of the visual effects were stuning (ie Vulcan).

Things I didn't like: Saldana (she was just for T&A really), the battle scenes were too cluttered and busy for me, the lighting effects were a bit much with glare in the camera.

I think this move does appeal to the younger, less story driven crowd. I think it can appeal to long time Trekkies too f they go in with an open mind, but you will have to try a bit to accept the new stuff.

I agree that this was just an action packed, no thinking movie, but it is good at being that!

#70 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

I have just seen it again today. It rocked even more than before! My statements above seem to have been missed entirely. This movie is set in an alternate universe/timeline due to Nero arriving on the seen and causing a branch off. This is no diffrent than the "Mirror Mirror" Episodes and its sequels that have been worked into it in the other series, except that the crew and the Federation are not evil. The events of past Trek HAVE NOT CHANGED! The Original timeline continues on as it was. It greatly saddens me that so many Trek fans are so close minded to this that they can't accept change and new possibilities, even when its done in a respectful manor like this was. One of the things that Star Trek was suppose to be about was "charting the possibilities of existence," and "embracing change." So sad that some fans can't do that. Reminds me of those that bashed "Nemesis" and Insurrection" when they came out, despite them being good thought provoking stories. Seems that some people will never be pleased no matter what. Again its so sad. sad.gif

And to the person who remarked that those of us that liked the movie only do so because we haven't seen a new Trek film in 6 and a half years, how dare you! mad.gif How dare you imply and presume to tell us/me that we only liked the movie because you think we have flawed judgment, because you think we shouldn't like the movie because you don't, and seem to want everyone to hate it. mad.gif That remark is offensive and insulting. mad.gif

#71 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Keep in mind this is a movie with time contraints. This movie had to introduce new versions of the characters as well as show us a completely new universe in which the characters will have their adventures. On top of that, they had to tell a story that would keep the attention of the audience. That's a lot to do in just a little over two hours. There isn't much time or room to show the depths of the characters nor the intricacies of the world in which they exist.

I think a good solution for this would be to have a television series set in the Abramsverse. That way we can get to know this Federation and this reality and the events that are going on within it as well as the events that shaped it. The other Star Trek universe had 40 years to tell us all about itself. This one has had only two hours. And, if they rely completely on the movies to give us background, we'll hardly get anything that will even come close to creating the rich tapestry that comprises the prime universe.

#72 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

I am thinking of seeing it again tommorrow. I am so happy to have a new Star Trek movie and new merchandise in the stores, toys and glasses at burger king and renewed interest in Star Trek from some retailers and the public, but i have felt like the original Star Trek has died ever since i left the theater thursday night and have been grieving the loss since then. I agree with comments made here about this being a no thinking movie, but a action packed movie. Destroying Vulcan? Killing off George Kirk and Amanda Grayson? I am surprised that Abrams didnt just kill off the whole TOS crew and start over with new characters. Yes, if i can just open my mind, throw out everything i loved about the original Star Trek and be willing not think but just enjoy one action scene right after another it will be a good movie.

#73 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ May 9 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am thinking of seeing it again tommorrow. I am so happy to have a new Star Trek movie and new merchandise in the stores, toys and glasses at burger king and renewed interest in Star Trek from some retailers and the public, but i have felt like the original Star Trek has died ever since i left the theater thursday night and have been grieving the loss since then. I agree with comments made here about this being a no thinking movie, but a action packed movie. Destroying Vulcan? Killing off George Kirk and Amanda Grayson? I am surprised that Abrams didnt just kill off the whole TOS crew and start over with new characters. Yes, if i can just open my mind, throw out everything i loved about the original Star Trek and be willing not think but just enjoy one action scene right after another it will be a good movie.

This IS a thinking person story as well, for those that know what they are being asked to think about. Same for Insurrection, and Nemesis (movies that I will defend to my dieing day).

#74 Pike

Pike

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

I just saw it today at the IMAX in Hamilton, NJ. It was great. I loved every minute. I thought the story we well thought out and the small pieces of TREK history fit in well. Better to have a Trek that is viable and still well thought of in this world rather than keep watching dvd collections. The past is the past, I have great memories of watching STAR TREK with my brother late into the night. All the incarnations of TREK and the previous TREK MOVIES obviously are fond memories that I do love to have. Today is today, Trek is cool again with some sacrifices, but Trek is epic again. This franchise just got a great shot in the arm and a new lease, let's enjoy it for what it is...entertainment with good stories and good characters. I still love the old STAR TREK, but I know Im going to love the new STAR TREK as well and I do.

#75 neoworx

neoworx

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

Liked it. Didn't love it. Much to admire, but many stupid things as well.

#76 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ May 9 2009, 05:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked it except for one thing, Kirk gets beat up more then Archer. LOL .

Yeah, but just like Archer he went down fighting biggrin.gif As a Trekkie, I can say honestly say it brought new life into the franchise. This, like Batman and Bond before it, was a successful reboot. So I appreciate anything that brings Trek to another generation of fans. Who knows, maybe it will entice the younger generation to pick up some of the old shows and check them out wink.gif With it being a alternate reality, it doesn't or shouldn't get bogged down with over 40 years of history and can stand on their own merits. For those poo-pooing the movie, I say you didn't go in with an open mind. Then again, you pretty much said you wouldn't before this movie even hit production and was only a rumor. Way to get the original message of Star Trek guys. The actors did a fine job making the character their own, while paying homage to TOS cast. As an expected parent, that opening scene was gut wrenching and heartbreaking to both me and my wife. Which brings up another point, this movie isn't just flash and no heart. Our theaters were packed (old and new fans) and the IMAX cinema was sold out up until the 10:30 pm. When we got out of the show, there was a line and the 10:30 IMAX was sold out. So don't dismiss it just because it wasn't the Trek you grew up with. Give it a chance and remember the true meaning of Trek.

#77 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (The_Donster @ May 10 2009, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but just like Archer he went down fighting biggrin.gif As a Trekkie, I can say honestly say it brought new life into the franchise. This, like Batman and Bond before it, was a successful reboot. So I appreciate anything that brings Trek to another generation of fans. Who knows, maybe it will entice the younger generation to pick up some of the old shows and check them out wink.gif With it being a alternate reality, it doesn't or shouldn't get bogged down with over 40 years of history and can stand on their own merits. For those poo-pooing the movie, I say you didn't go in with an open mind. Then again, you pretty much said you wouldn't before this movie even hit production and was only a rumor. Way to get the original message of Star Trek guys. The actors did a fine job making the character their own, while paying homage to TOS cast. As an expected parent, that opening scene was gut wrenching and heartbreaking to both me and my wife. Which brings up another point, this movie isn't just flash and no heart. Our theaters were packed (old and new fans) and the IMAX cinema was sold out up until the 10:30 pm. When we got out of the show, there was a line and the 10:30 IMAX was sold out. So don't dismiss it just because it wasn't the Trek you grew up with. Give it a chance and remember the true meaning of Trek.

WELL PUT MAN!!! spock2.gif

#78 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 03:24 AM

For those who didn't like the movie, think of it this way: At least it keeps Trek relevant and shows Paramount that the franchise is still capable of making a lot of money. That gives more opportunity to see other Trek projects get off the ground that might just have the depth and meaning of the orginal. A couple of years ago, Trek was dead. No one wanted to touch it. No one wanted to watch it. Today, it's a box office hit. At the very least, the doors are starting to reopen for Trek because of this movie. We'll have to see what comes of it, but at least there is a future for the franchise now.

#79 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

That's exactly the way I look at knightone. It was a fun movie and I enjoyed it. But it's not a great movie IMO.

Also lets remember that Star Trek means different things to different people so let respect peoples opinions, both those that don't like it and those that do.

#80 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:30 AM

Saw it yesterday and I loved it! Great special effects and writing. My favorite scene was....

SPOILER

Kirk taking that test eating the apple. Classic! "Sir, three Klingon warbirds (anyone else catch that?) are surrounding us." Didn't the writers make that same mistake in Enterprise as well? Anyway, I loved how Kirk was laid back eating the apple the whole time.

Negatives for me:
At times, in the battle sequences it was very paced paced and difficult for me to follow.
The musical score I felt lacked the epic spirit of Trek. I remember when you Kirk arrives at the Enterprise I remember thinking, "this is the music they choose for this moment?" Which is funny because I have heard this composer before and always have liked his work.

To all the people who didn't like it, I suspect they went in closed minded.
There is also speculation as to who the next villain should be...I say bring on the Klingons!

Btw, has anyone see the new Burger King commercials with...KINGONS? Oh man, I was laughing out loud when I saw that. The marketing people did a great job there. laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users