Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Here is one you don't see everyday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

Someone is outta their mind!

#3 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

I would tend to agree

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

First

There was only 500 of them made and they were given away, none of them were sold on the open market. If you have one you had to get it as someone that Paramount was trying to promote either the syndication of TNG or (going on at the same time) the upcoming release of First Contact. It maybe the most rare Trek Figure out there. It's just not as old as the Mego Romulan, but more rare. IF you just want the figure buy a first wave Borg, it's the same figure

Still, at the moment with the market as low as it is, that is a high asking price, but (and I may be mistaken) New Force at one time would pay close to $500 to $600 or more to buy one and resale it. It it's low point I think that New Force was selling them for $500 to $600 (their cost) before they got out of the market. They have in the past sold for very high amounts

I have one, (shocked?) I have to admit that I got mine at a steal of a deal and it's in the best condition of any I have seen. The last owner said that he knew I would care for it and that I didn't smoke, so he wanted to price it where I could afford it. LOL

#5 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

Is he any different from the regular Borg figure that Playmates produced?

#6 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Mar 24 2007, 03:14 PM) View Post
First

There was only 500 of them made and they were given away, none of them were sold on the open market. If you have one you had to get it as someone that Paramount was trying to promote either the syndication of TNG or (going on at the same time) the upcoming release of First Contact. It maybe the most rare Trek Figure out there. It's just not as old as the Mego Romulan, but more rare. IF you just want the figure buy a first wave Borg, it's the same figure

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Mar 24 2007, 04:07 PM) View Post
Is he any different from the regular Borg figure that Playmates produced?

No one reads my posts do they. rolleyes.gif

As I have said a few times, (a few hundred? LOL) packaging can make all the difference.

Let me say this he is the same as what we will call the standard Borg first wave figure. There were some paint variations on the first wave Borgs but this was built from the most common.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Mar 24 2007, 05:09 PM) View Post
No one reads my posts do they. rolleyes.gif

As I have said a few times, (a few hundred? LOL) packaging can make all the difference.

Let me say this he is the same as what we will call the standard Borg first wave figure. There were some paint variations on the first wave Borgs but this was built from the most common.

Sorry, as I do data entry for a living, I sometimes scan through a post and miss some of the detail. I swear, I read it up to Mego Romulan part, skipped that sentence, and went on to the rest. LOL

This isn't worth my time since its the same figure. If I were wealthy, maybe I would worry about it, but right now, no.

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

Well the market is not what it was at one time. About 350 would be closer to right at this time, sadly. There was a time though that anything Trek would sell but I fear those days are gone.

#9 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Mar 24 2007, 06:13 PM) View Post
...but I fear those days are gone.

For now, probably. These things have upward slopes and dowward slopes.

During the height of Trek's popularity numbers like 500 and 1701 were extremely low. These days, 1701 is just about right to satisfy demand, and 500 is a perfect number for a packaging variant.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

I have a first wave Playmates Troi that is numbered 175,182. Back in those days you could even get a bit more money for a figure numbered less then 10,000

#11 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

Yeah. Back then you could sell 500,000 of a figure easily. Now, you can't even push 5000.

#12 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:27 PM

#13 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE(LwaxanaLover @ Mar 24 2007, 11:27 PM) View Post
I was at that Huntsville convention and *if* I remember correctly Playmates auctioned one off there. Playmates was there auctioning off low-numbered figures and I got a set of wesley's #'ed in the 50's. Either way I didn't stick around to see what anything went for after I got my Wes figures. Oddly enough I didn't care one way or the other about the #'s I just didn't have any Wesleys so I opened them up and played with them. I seem to remember cadet Wesley bragging to Troi that his number was way lower than hers. Then she smacked him laugh.gif LL

I was at the con also and the figures went for little or nothing, I did not pick any of them up at the time including the Borg Figure. My Bad, it sold for 25.00 if I recall.

#14 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

Yeah an old timer like yourself would have to see a Mego to appreciate it tongue.gif Did you pick up these at least?

These would have been available at the Spencers Gifts Booth there. If you did did you get them signed?

A $25 Trifold Borg, wow I would take 4 cases of them!!

#15 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

I have the Huntsville duo, I have them in plexiglass boxes that I originally received them in. I should check the number, but I do have a "variant", my Sulu has a hair sample right inside the bubble. I dont know if it is George's or the asian that packaged him, but my sulu "comes with real hair"... I think I might dig them out and check on their numbers, bye

#16 Bender

Bender

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

So the difference between the $5 dollar, pick it up everyday on Eaby figure, and this one is $375 + in packaging?

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

well, that is one way to look at it. Depends on how and what you collect. However, the item needs to be a whole. The package it's self would not be worth anything without the sealed figure inside. I should also point out that the "standard" first wave borg had many different paint applications. I can show at least 3 that I own. I have never compared to see which one the Trifold is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users