• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#21 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:47 AM

I am also looking forward to the 3rd Trek Movie from the "non Prime Universe".

I loved the first JJ movie and am okay with the second but I have to say.... I TOTALLY agree with 1701D.... A prime Universe TV series needs to happen... I also agree it should be a futuristic jump into the 25th Century.

#22 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

Oh I just simply do not understand the mentality over at DST. It just feels as though they are always one step behind other toy companies of the same ilk by being overly secretive and kind of slap dash.So ok Star Trek is not Marvel nor is it a line that has been all that popular beyond an established fan base and whilst I do feel that they have been royally screwed by CBS by not being given the rights to produce new movie product to keep their line fresh beyond the fan base, this has gotten silly!!!! Something at DST has got to change. This secrecy and belief that if they show something that isn't quite approved or ready yet will cause fans to implode and go all Godzilla on DST is really backward. Fans of anything are passionate and will get irritated by delays etc but DST are pissing us all off even more by not showing anything but yet promising new product, For a year now there has been a new federation ship in development, surely that has gone through some stage of development? There has been sparse information on the next select figure beyond this forum, yet nothing beyond it. All DST are doing now is killing off any interest fans had in their line and if they think that by not showing or saying anything at all is going to somehow keep people invested in their line up to the point they do reveal something noteworthy then they are mistaken.They run the risk of loosing fans interest in this line full stop and never coming back to it. They could show off a huge Star Trek display next toy fair and it wouldn't matter. With other companies out there producing Star Trek product, leaving it long periods of time without showing new product will eventually kill this line dead. That's a shame because with just a bit more attention given to it, this would be the definitive Star Trek toy range on the market. We're not talking about much here guys [at dst]. A nice, exciting display of Star Trek product and development stuff to get fans excited about your stuff again. Even a poster created in Photoshop teasing a new figure or a new ship or both under the banner "Star Trek at 50... New product from DST Launching 2016" would be something. But instead we get a handful of items we've already seen. Surely a line as established as Star Trek deserves a bit more pomp and ceremony even if it isn't Marvel.My hope is this, that DST will wow us at NYTF 2016 with a very special 50th anniversary display. A display of items that they have produced over the 12(?) years that they've had this licence and another display of new items that showcase the next phase of DST and Star Trek. Three select figures, two new ships with a third being shown in development, props and role play and a poster announcing that at SDCC, diamond select and CBS consumer products will be venturing into the alternate universe with product based upon JJ Abrams 2009 "Star Trek" motion picture with a teasing image of DST's Enterprise from that movie.

These are my thoughts exactly. Very well said.

#23 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

Small addition to any future prime show - forget the Romulan issue. Romulus and Remus are still there, but now have to co-exist. The Federation was close to the Romulans after Nemesis, so let's expand on that. :)

#24 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

SOOO happy I'm not Trekkin' right now! Looking forward to the new movie of course,loved the other two,but there's no merch I'm just DYING to get,which is good,saves me heaps of money! Might get that communicator coming next year though,but I consider it more of a high end collectible than a toy,lol!

Not spoken much with Zach at the con yet,but apart from Megablocks there isn't much Trek happening. And don't get me started on the Eaglemoss booth! But I'll save that for the actual EM thread. Going by Megablocks booth again tomorrow,don't have a ticket for today which is fine,I could use a day off,lol! Only thing they're giving away at that booth is a bag with the two Megablocks licenses they are highlighting at the con,so didn't bother picking one up even thought they tried to get me to take one.

Took a couple of pics of the Trek stuff. I asked the guy if I could and he said,take all the pics you want. And the girl wanted me to sit in the Captain's chair but I said no thanks,I'm good. lol. Yep,some booths are politely pushy,while others just wish you weren't there. Oh well.

J-R!

#25 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:54 PM

And don't get me started on the Eaglemoss booth! But I'll save that for the actual EM thread.

Was this the staff not having enough knowledge of the product? I ask because I've heard something similar before on the facebook page from people who attended an event they were at in London.

I found a video from the same guys who covered Eaglemoss covering the DST booth - 8 minutes long as well - but they didn't even show the Star Trek stuff off. Just from my opinion, there's plenty to be excited about Trek-wise (Eaglemoss ships/shuttles/specials, and the snap-kits coming from Round2), but the feeling I get coming from DST is that they're playing it down - it's not a big line for them almost. 

#26 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:08 AM

Apart from the lady I spoke with I would say they were pretty clueless,yes. Off to the con again now,see if I can talk with Ben instead. He's usually NOT clueless,lol.

Plenty to be excited about?! Hmmmm,not the impression one gets walking around this con. But I know there's cool stuff coming out at some point. What you mentioned,Mega blocks,communicator,and a few other items,so yeah,there IS something at least. DST.....think I'll leave now. lol

J-R!

#27 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

I think the sad part is that DST is comfortable with their current, and past, performance. I think they have no need to change the status quo. Thus this is just another complaint which may be responded to but ultimately will not be answered.

I think if DST didn't make statements they usually don't back up fans wouldn't get irritated. I understand the annoyance that delays create... Especially when DST promises us a lot then has a rep tell us that wasn't exactly what they promised.

I honestly have lost my excitement for Trek altogether.... The franchise is just too difficult to get amped for.

Ive branched out into other things now that I have money coming in.  I agree with losing the excitement for Trek.  The merchandising and movie/lack of tv has almost killed it for me.  Star Wars has movies,tv, comics and shit tones of merchandise.  Ive even started buying some Transformers.  It almost feels like those in charge want it to die.

#28 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

Qcjoe, on 11 Oct 2015 - 11:02 PM, said:

Ive branched out into other things now that I have money coming in. I agree with losing the excitement for Trek. The merchandising and movie/lack of tv has almost killed it for me. Star Wars has movies,tv, comics and shit tones of merchandise. Ive even started buying some Transformers. It almost feels like those in charge want it to die.

I'm certain that even though it feels like CBS and Paramount aren't bothered about Star Trek, they are totally committed to it.

That being said, in my personal opinion, I do worry when I hear rumblings that Paramount are looking at Star Trek scratching their heads wondering why it hasn't yet made a billion world wide at the box office and are wanting Star Trek Beyond to be more like Guardians of the Galaxy... That has red alert klaxons going off in my head because it tells me that what they want from Star Trek isn't so much a faithful continuation of a timeless franchise but a massive cash grab from a movie that entertains people for 2 hours but does nothing to advance the storytelling or the mythology of the universe Roddenberry put together.

What I so wish would happen is for CBS to turn to the BBC and ask them a very simple question: "How did you get Doctor Who, a cheesy, 1964 show that had been canceled yonks ago, to become so successful and to such a wide audience?"

Doctor Who IS the British Star Trek. Not because they are similar shows but because they are both godfathers of Science Fiction that have this hardcore following of fans and that have both had something positive and groundbreaking to say and that have seemingly defied all the odds of remaining popular to this day. When the BBC revitalised that show, they went to a producer/creator at the very top of his game after creating some ground breaking, taboo smashing British TV, a guy who understood the demands and requirements for making a modern TV series but also someone who had been a huge fan of Doctor Who. The result was this explosion in popularity for this franchise from everyone, established Whovians, families, teens, studens... You name it, everyone was talking Doctor Who, a show that had been ridiculed and put down in the past for being overly silly and cheesy. It has remained silly and cheesy but it still has something positive to say, it's good fun and people love it! Why? Because it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't, it continues the Doctor Who mythology without worrying if new fans haven't seen the series with the first doctor in it. It doesn't rely on David Tennant's 10th Doctor or Matt Smith's, it just continues on through space and time!

So when we have Paramount (bless em') trying to make Star Trek more this or that... I can't help but feel a bit cheated when what they really need to do is realise it's a TV property and make something that is more like... STAR TREK!!!! No other big franchise, with a huge mythology attached to it, has gone back to the beginning and begun again or tried to be something it's not. Fair play if you're doing something new and take your inspiration from other things but Star Trek is a 50 year old universe with a rich, colourful history to it. Throwing all of that down the toilet in favour of an, all be it enjoyable, movie series kind of feels like Diet Star Trek.

The best thing for everyone is for Star Trek Beyond to be a story that involves the Guardian of Forever, Kirk and Spock jump through the time portal and in a bit of Cinematic wizardry akin to the DS9 episode, Trials and Tribbleations, they meet Shatner and Nimoy's Kirk and Spock and bada-bing bada-boom, the timeline is reset and Star Trek Beyond returns us to the prime timeline for an announcement in October from CBS that in partnership with [Bad Robot, Netflix, HBO] Star Trek will return to the small screen, airing in the fall of 2017, continuing the legacy onboard the new USS Enterprise NCC - 1701 - I, with a new crew in the 25th Century. A serialised TV series, 13 episodes long airing on Netflix worldwide and following a successful launch, rolling out to worldwide broadcasters like the BBC.

You Know Star Trek belongs to the fans, yes it would be awesome to see a new generation take Star Trek on as they've done so with Doctor Who but like Doctor Who, Star Trek has always survived because of its fan base. Whoever comes into the Star Trek family to produce and create a new TV series has to be a fan.

So I think I've gone off track here... DST, It's not so much quantity as it is what you're showing, you guys need to get a steady routine going where you showcase entirely new product every year at SDCC with graphics advertising your next selects, props and ships beyond the physical prototypes shown. Making sure that at least half of the shown physical products are available at the very least by the following Toy Fair.

#29 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:38 PM

This was (as far as I can find) the extent of DST's display at NYCC:

Tji7LMFl.jpg

Hi-res from toyark: http://news.toyark.c...ar-Trek-001.jpg

#30 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:48 PM

Here's my two cents; I feel we are lucky that DST is doing any Star Trek.  As soon as Stargate Atlantis went off the air they pulled any plans for any more Stargate.  Star Trek has been off the air officially for a decade at this point.  The fact that they said something along the lines of 'the Enterprise D sells out and original Enterprise sells out at preorder' is why we are getting ships without the name 'Enterprise'.  The market just isnt there for what we would prefer to see.

#31 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:49 PM

Yep, that was it. Wow...

By comparison to Mega Bloks, this is just so lacklustre, an afterthought. Boo 😕

#32 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

Here's my two cents; I feel we are lucky that DST is doing any Star Trek.  As soon as Stargate Atlantis went off the air they pulled any plans for any more Stargate.  Star Trek has been off the air officially for a decade at this point.  The fact that they said something along the lines of 'the Enterprise D sells out and original Enterprise sells out at preorder' is why we are getting ships without the name 'Enterprise'.  The market just isnt there for what we would prefer to see.

Until Eaglemoss came along with the Starship collection, I would've agreed with you. Now though, I have the complete opposite view. If people are willing to have spent (at this point) around £600/$1000 on miniature ships, I'm positive there's a market for ships like the Reliant, Defiant, Voyager and Enterprise-C, within the $50-70 price range. Also, if I may say, Star Trek is still massive compared to Stargate SG-1 and its spin-offs.

Basically, the Starship collection opened my eyes purely in the sense that the facebook page has over 160,000 likes (bear in mind, this is just a page for magazines that come with little toy ships), and that they're now extending the collection past the original 90 issue run. What I'm saying, is that I no longer buy the argument that the market for Star Trek just isn't there, because it is...it really is.

#33 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

Redshirt Megos?

#34 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

Until Eaglemoss came along with the Starship collection, I would've agreed with you. Now though, I have the complete opposite view. If people are willing to have spent (at this point) around £600/$1000 on miniature ships, I'm positive there's a market for ships like the Reliant, Defiant, Voyager and Enterprise-C, within the $50-70 price range. Also, if I may say, Star Trek is still massive compared to Stargate SG-1 and its spin-offs.

Basically, the Starship collection opened my eyes purely in the sense that the facebook page has over 160,000 likes (bear in mind, this is just a page for magazines that come with little toy ships), and that they're now extending the collection past the original 90 issue run. What I'm saying, is that I no longer buy the argument that the market for Star Trek just isn't there, because it is...it really is.

Bingo!  

#35 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

You know what?  You're right.  hmmm.

#36 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:14 PM

Very well said.

Theres a huge market for Star Trek that diamond select just haven't gone out to find and so that market most probably has never even heard of DST doing Star Trek.

I'm just thinking that maybe while fans are willing to spend into the thousands on a high quality collection, they're not willing to spend the same amount on the ships, figures, Retro figures, mini mates and props that diamond select produce.

I think what a lot of fans see in the DST line is a range of toys rather than a nice collection. I think the fact that we've had to wait long lengths of time between product being released is another problem in that if the same were to happen to Eaglemoss, people would just give up collecting that line too.

What we have here is a nice line of toys that needs a bit of stream lining, maybe just focus on the tech and ships, dropping the figures altogether making the ships highly collectable by improving the detail and quality to each model and by making them more for the mid to high end collector rather than just filling them with cool but gimmicky sfx. That is until a new series comes out that they win the licence for and can hit fans with everything they've got!

I do agree though, over the 12 or so years DST has had this licence, they have stuck with it when Star Trek itself was in utter turmoil.

#37 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

I think the difference between DST and Eaglemoss has a lot to do with the sales model.

I'm an EM subscriber, but, to be honest, I'm starting to get apathetic about collecting. The lack of anything big from DST is a factor in that, but the main culprit is the hopelessness I feel about the future of the Trek franchise.

If I were buying EM ships on an issue-by-issue, want/don't-want basis, I'd have lost interest long ago. But because I am subscribed, I'm automatically getting a pair of new ships each month, and that's pretty nice. There aren't a lot of ships left that I really can't wait for (Norway class, Kelvin, and the shuttles), so I may be cancelling the subscription soon, but it won't change the fact that I've poured about €1000 that I really couldn't afford into it.

I can't be the only apathetic EM subscriber who's still subbed out of laziness - and the company is making a mint on us!

I don't begrudge them a cent of my ill-gotten gains, though, because their product is superb

DST cannot hope to operate a subscription service for their ships - it's just not practical - but from my layman's perspective, the path from warehouse-to-customer seems needlessly complex and expensive for them. Is there some regulatory barrier to them setting up a direct sales system via some online front-end on eBay or Amazon (or the like), and selling toys direct to customers China-to-doorstep?

I'm sure I'm talking out of my arse, but it feels like something somewhere needs a re-think.

#38 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

See, I dont know if this is substantiated or not

https://www.facebook...9E&size=571,532

#39 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 09:03 AM

According to several sources I've seen - all people who were at NYCC, that'll be the special after the NX-01R (so Kelvin, NX Refit, then Narada).

#40 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 03:43 AM

A good start would be for DST to get set up to sell their products directly through their store to fans world wide. They could offer exclusives only available through them such as figures that wouldn't sell to retailers who don't think demand is there.

Surely the technology exists for diamond to do this relatively cheaply.

But it's all about getting word of mouth out of there. I'm living in the UK and even in comic book stores and the forbidden planet's its hit and miss to find anything diamond related.

You know, how are DST meant to sell their own product without advertising it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users