Pluto no longer a planet?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:19 AM

It seems our solar system is about to get a bit smaller. After 50 years of teaching, text book printings, and belief in a 9 planet system, astronomers declasify Pluto as a planet. Damn them. LOL

Check out the article here ... Astronomers Say Pluto is not a Planet

#2 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

I heard that the scientists meeting in Prague to debate the issue decided to keep Pluto as a planet, but under a new type - plutons.

As I understood it that the number of planets in the solar system would now be twelve, to include three other pluto-like planets.

blink.gif I'm confused. huh.gif wacko.gif

Are there eight or twelve official planets?

#3 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:11 AM

Well they look like they are putting it into a new, or another category, according to this article. Dwarf Planet. This category will include Pluto, asteroid Ceres, and UB313. So 8 planets, 3 dwarf planets ... ugh. LOL

#4 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:57 PM

I always knew Pluto wasn't a planet. I know from childhood that it was ... a dog!

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 24 2006, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well they look like they are putting it into a new, or another category, according to this article. Dwarf Planet. This category will include Pluto, asteroid Ceres, and UB313. So 8 planets, 3 dwarf planets ... ugh. LOL

Yes... but are any of them a "Red Dwarf" laugh.gif

#6 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Aug 24 2006, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always knew Pluto wasn't a planet. I know from childhood that it was ... a dog!

Someone had to say it! laugh.gif

#7 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

No no no, a Red Dwarf is a dying sun (or an intergalectic mining ship, before you think I am dense), (like a dwarf sun). But it is not likely to be in our solar system, yet.
They should have named Pluto, "Goofy" anyway, and Cerus could have been "Pluto". I mean look at the erratic behavior of its orbit... and "Pluto" just tags along. No they couldnt have called either of them Mickey Mouse, that was who named them in the first place. Greek god, greek god,... animated Disney character, tv warrior... Gosh who else would use that nomenclature. lol

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE(Tiberius @ Aug 24 2006, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(or an intergalectic mining ship, before you think I am dense)

tongue.gif That's what I was refering too laugh.gif Glad to see you picked up on it!

#9 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

Wait! Did Bernsie make that Pluto is a dog crack? Oh man, I gave you far too much credit! LOL

#10 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

So there are eight "proper" planets and then three "dwarf planets" (perhaps four - I think they may have included Pluto's moon Charon as a dwarf planet too).

I'm glad that they've demaoted Pluto, it was always just a puny thing. When astomonomers discovered it in the 30s they thought it was bigger than it actually is.

That's how come this debate has gone on for so long. I hope that this is finally an end to it.

#11 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 25 2006, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait! Did Bernsie make that Pluto is a dog crack? Oh man, I gave you far too much credit! LOL

Don't get me started on Uranus!

#12 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:13 AM

huh.gif I knew it!! wait, never mind, walking away... nothing to see here happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users