Photo

The Future of the Diamond Select Star Trek line

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

Poll: Expanding DST's Star Trek licence (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to see DST get a licence to cover both the JJ Abrams movies and the new 2017 TV series?

1. Yes absolutely I'd love to see DST produce product for both as well as the older shows and films! (13 votes [39.39%])

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

2. No, some other toy company needs to take on Trek. (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Yes but just product based on the JJ Abrams movies as well as their already established TOS - ENT era product (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes but just product based on the new TV series as well as their already established TOS - ENT line (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

5. No but continue with the TOS - ENT era of the Star Trek franchise. (7 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:15 PM

DST doesn't usually put stuff up until they have a working prototype.

It isn't terribly surprising the Reliant or Phaser aren't up for preorder.

#242 Ensign Ricky

Ensign Ricky

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

Picard: "Report."

http://trekmovie.com...more-new-merch/

#243 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:35 AM

Chuck also revealed that DST “have not planned our role play items beyond the TNG phaser.” He also noted that it is “unlikely” they will re-issue their Star Trek: Enterprise Phase Pistol and Communicator set, and it is unlikely their next Star Trek vehicle ship toy will be the USS Voyager.

As a fan of Trek Tek its a bit disappointing to think that they may not produce any more items... but not expected... the TOS Phaser / Communicator have to be the best seller, and I can see keeping that in stock. 

I actually have a Roddenberry Phase Pistol Kit I need to finish. The DST version, fun as it is...  was undersize... I think its about 3/4 scale. I'd actually like to see Roddenberry come back with its kits.... which is probably a better niche market for Trek Tek like items.

#244 Ensign Ricky

Ensign Ricky

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

I wish DST would re-release their stuff during these long product hiatuses. Waiting for the next release is agonizing, and there are some things that I did not get that I would like to get now.

And I also agree, if they are not even going to bother and put in effort into Trek, then I would rather they sell Art Asylum to someone who cares, or they split up into different companies like before. A relationship can only go so far before one realizes it's just not working out. I'm sure Art Asylum would love to devote their existence to making Trek toys.   

#245 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:43 AM

I wish DST would re-release their stuff during these long product hiatuses. Waiting for the next release is agonizing, and there are some things that I did not get that I would like to get now.

And I also agree, if they are not even going to bother and put in effort into Trek, then I would rather they sell Art Asylum to someone who cares, or they split up into different companies like before. A relationship can only go so far before one realizes it's just not working out. I'm sure Art Asylum would love to devote their existence to making Trek toys.   

Art Asylum are DST I'm afraid. The reason they keep the AA logo on their boxes and have their own dedicated AA website was to continue on the legacy created by Digger. But separating Art Asylum would be effectively dismantling DST.

No I think if CBS aren't interested in expanding DST's range of product they can do then this line has and expiration date because there's only so many things left for DST to really do with the line that would make sense;

After the Reliant and Borg select, there's perhaps a handful of ships there to be done and a number of selects they could do that would sell - ultimately though I think if DST don't get the licence to do Discovery toys, we'll probably see them drop Star Trek once their contract is up. If you're not being given the opportunity to develop product on the current TV show, especially when you've had the Star Trek licence longer than anyone else, where do you feasibly take your line?

CBS are undoubtedly going to push Discovery merchandise over merchandise from the older shows either before or after they've seen how popular Discovery turns out to be so to not give DST a licence would be a pretty big vote of no confidence in DST.

I really do have a feeling that if CBS don't give DST the licence to do Discovery, it's over in terms of Star Trek from DST. The Reliant and Borg drone select will be it.

#246 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

I don't think Art Asylum is really anything separate from DST at this point. As I recall, DST purchased them, and has pretty much branded its in house design team as Art Asylum, but I don't think its really a sub-division that they could spin off anymore.

AA really went bankrupt when it expanded into trying to reach into retail... and basically they are once again a design house and the design branch of DST. 

I don't even know if they do projects external to DST... but even if they did, they would only do the design anymore because doubt they would have the resources people and resources to take a product all the way to the retail floor anymore. 

#247 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

I wouldn't necessarily say they don't put effort into Trek, the products they make are usually pretty great. 

The issue is that Trek probably isn't selling very well, so they aren't focusing the same amount of resources to it as they used to. 

I do agree that they should try to re-release older products more frequently during the development cycle of their new stuff, especially the older role play items. 

#248 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

https://youtu.be/P_GkOqqK8AI

So in some of the above video you can see the Borg and Reliant, the Borg will feature both more articulation and interchangeable parts (ideal for army building the guy says) but also a very interesting bit right at the end where Zach suggests that they are in talks with CBS to obtain the licence to the newer movies... perhaps this line isn't as dead as it looks?

#249 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

About 8:10 is when they first show. 10:30ish when they talk about Trek. 

here is a crappy pic.

Km1lL5o.png

#250 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

Great catch, wonder if they'll show us it properly at some point?

#251 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

Probably in a year or so followed by another 2 year wait.

In the meantime they'll release another massive Ghostbusters diorama over the course of a year.

I am honestly excited about the POTC Selects. Depending on how they look, I may pick them up.

#252 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:35 PM

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, this makes me happy!

#253 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Just to be clear with my post, I meant some point soon (though being ambiguous about the time would also be a great joke at DST's expense, so I'm going with that lol).

I can't deny it - I want it badly!

#254 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:26 PM

Wow even from that video and pic it looks nice.  Seriously if its even half as good as the BOP we're in for a fine ship.

#255 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

Aren't the newer movies Paramount? Nothing to do with CBS? At least that's what people here keep saying,lol!

But I really do hope DST gets the license,would love the great ships that they do from the new movies that I love! There,I said it....YET AGAIN! LOL!

#256 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:15 AM

The way I understood it... Paramount basically has the movie rights... but ultimately its CBS IP... so like any IP licensed out... CBS probably has some finally say or review of scripts... I would expect that Paramount has to do something with the license in a certain number of years or it'll it'll default to CBS... ultimately CBS needs paramount to make money for it ;-) 

I'm just guessing about much of this... but I'm guessing based on the way we know licenses like Marvel are structured... Spider-Man to Sony, X-Men to Fox and the rest Marvel Studios/Disney... while marvel studios owns all the IP... Sony and Fox need to use them or loose them. It used to be quite fractured but bit by bit Marvel Studios has gained back its licenses.. 

#257 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

http://www.diamondse...rek-and-gotham/

The Voyager will not be out in 2017, we are currently working on the Reliant, but it is definitely a ship we are considering for the future, no pun intended.

But WHICH pun is he referring to?

#258 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

http://www.diamondse...rek-and-gotham/

The Voyager will not be out in 2017, we are currently working on the Reliant, but it is definitely a ship we are considering for the future, no pun intended.

But WHICH pun is he referring to?

The joke (pun) is actually on us for even trying to figure out if DST will ever make a Voyager or ship product in any realistic time frame.

#259 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

I'm really happy that there's going to be more articulation in the Borg figure. This news has actually made me revisit this line. I hope this continues and the figures we get from now on are more articulated. Maybe DST will revisit some of their older less articulated figures like Picard and Worf.

The news that they are also in talks with CBS about producing some product based on the Kelvin Timeline has me really excited too. Not sure what Zach meant by there being many other figures of Quinto and Pine because there's hardly any out there and even fewer that are actually good.

Would love to see them do the Kelvin, Enterprise and Franklin too. Even a Vengeance would be awesome. Spock Prime and most of the main characters in the new movies would be brilliant and perhaps this could be a wave done like their Ghostbusters line? Build a bridge?

Characters I'd love to see would be:

Kirk (09 uniform, Beyond survival jacket)
Spock (09 uniform)
Uhura (09 uniform)
McCoy (09 uniform)
Scotty & Keenser (09 uniform)
Spock Prime (Delta Vega costume)
Pike (STID uniform)
Checkov (09 uniform)
Sulu (09 orbital skydive uniform)
Nero
Khan (Q'onos costume)
Krall
Jaylah
George Kirk

#260 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Any release timing info on that Reliant at this point?

Have any other ships been confirmed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users