• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:04 AM

I was taken by surprise when I received notification that there is an upcoming Deanna Troi Season 1 DST Femme Fatales statue available for pre-order from BBTS.  But I see that it had been mentioned in the SDCC 2015 thread.

Now we know what she will look like.  I find the S1 mini skirt choice to be a tasteless selection, sending the unfortunate message (once again -- see also 7 of 9 statue) that maximum sex appeal is what matters in the 24th century future of Star Trek if you are a woman.  Yes, I know that "sex sells" and all of the femme fatales are made under that mandate, but that's not a philosophy the female Star Trek market generally believes in so I hope DST enjoys alienating that segment of fandom with this decision.  Well, we all can imagine it is mostly men buying these statues ... but for this and a host of other reasons I doubt this item is going to do very well.  I wish they would give up the post-TOS portion of their license, already.

#2 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:03 AM

Come now.  "Sex appeal" has always been a part of Trek.  You've seen TOS right?  :rolleyes:

#3 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

Of course it has.  It's a television show produced in a culture wherein just about everything is designed with appealing to the male gaze as first priority.  The fact that this is most pervasive in TOS is just one reason it is my least favorite series (while ironically being the one Roddenberry, with his allegedly humanist/progressive ideals, had most control over -- but it would be a major digression to begin to analyze why that may have come to pass).  There is, after all, a reason I qualified with "24th century future".

All I'm saying is that the Trek fan who understands the problems facing women (so in other words, probably mostly the females, such as my wife) will not be happy to see Deanna Troi being reduced to a set of legs in go-go boots, particularly when that getup represents a small percentage of her actual screen time.  Not that her other outfits save Season 7 were much better, and once again you can thank our male-centric culture for that.  But that is the culture the femme fatale line is born of and for.  So don't expect this to matter to anyone.

#4 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

While I get the whole sexist thing, I am actually really happy we are getting a different uniform than previously.

#5 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:43 AM

I agree...that uniform has never made a figure appearence

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

I actually think thats a rather nice likeness.

Not sure I think of Troi as a "Femme Fatales".

give me someone like Seska... heck yeah. She worked Chekote and the crew of VOY ten different ways!

#7 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

To be fair they had the men wear that uniform also.

#8 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

It's a nice sculpt; shame it doesn't look like her

#9 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:20 AM

It's her first-appearance outfit. It's not like we made up a sexy outfit because we couldn't find one that was sexy enough. It's not even a particularly sexy pose.

We could have shown her in a lavender or maroon pantsuit, but the line is about feminine beauty, and those outfits were not very stylish even in the late 1980s. She always looked like she was wearing pajamas while everyone else was dressed. The later uniform is certainly smart, but about as feminine as Picard's uniform. And we made all three of those outfits as action figures, and I think even a bust, but not this one.

Similarly, 7 of 9 is wearing a pretty standard uniform for her, and again, I think the pose is pretty neutral.

I have heard no other complaints from anyone, and I read all letters to us, and monitor all social media. I think most female Trek fans will like it, since it is a cute outfit that is not represented much in merch, but has certainly been worn as cosplay.

I thought we were doing better with post-TOS product, but I do not believe our license prevents anyone else from doing anything, if someone is dying to make more Troi product.

If it makes you feel better, Troi beat out Vina.

#10 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:35 AM

It never matters what it is.  There will always be some one that complains.

#11 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

We live in a culture where it's trendy to be "offended." I wouldn't worry about it, Zach.

#12 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

I don't really understand your logic behind saying this choice is supporting some "sex sells" thing, how is this better or worse than her "normal" look that actually showed cleavage? Because it's a skirt? DST didn't design her uniform, they based it on what was on the show. If anything, since they had men wearing this uniform in TNG, it's less of a sex sells thing than her normal one. 

You also mention 7 of 9, again they based it on what was done on the show. 

If anyone is sending a sex sells message, it's Star Trek itself.

While this figure isn't for me, mainly because I hate Troi, it's interesting/cool that they chose a look that hadn't been done before. 

#13 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

I'm sure they had men in mind when they cast hunks like Ricardo Montalban and Michael Forest as guest stars and that's not even mentioning Kirk getting his uniform torn in several episodes and being bare-chested. I think Trek has had sex appeal for both genders. As far as the figure goes, I am not interested enough to buy one and still pine for the days of the 7inch action figures.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

I kinda like it Zach. I think it does exactly what you set out to do!

Mirina Sirtis is a sweet heart, and I think its a pretty decent likeness.... has a bit of a pouty look on her face. I could see myself picking this up.

#15 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:40 PM

I love that people who have no interest or desire to own the Troi piece are coming in and arguing for it anyway. :D

We actually still make 7-inch action figures. The next one two should be pretty great.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

7" Star Trek Action Figures??!! are you referring to the select line or something else?!

#17 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

Pretty sure he means the Selects.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

I can always hold on to some shred of hope!

#19 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:33 PM

The Selects are 7-inch action figures, and poseable/interchangeable to varying degrees. I would not expect to see a return to the lower-price-point format any time soon.

#20 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

The Selects are 7-inch action figures, and poseable/interchangeable to varying degrees. I would not expect to see a return to the lower-price-point format any time soon.

Maybe you guys could make a select Troi in this costume. The select figures are nice but so far there hasn't been any that we didn't already have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users