#41 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

First owner-photographed 2013 Enterprise-D I've seen:

By Reddit user Defenseman.

One observation: The light bleed on the bridge module has been reduced. I'd say that's indicative of a different plastic being used, rather than a painted interior. My reasoning is that DST hasn't had much in the way of light bleed complaints about this ship - so they wouldn't order any interior painting. We know the BOP is using different plastic, so perhaps this is too.

It's nice how the only notable hotspot is around the observation lounge windows.

#42 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jan 11 2013, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The light bleed on the bridge module has been reduced. I'd say that's indicative of a different plastic being used, rather than a painted interior. My reasoning is that DST hasn't had much in the way of light bleed complaints about this ship - so they wouldn't order any interior painting. We know the BOP is using different plastic, so perhaps this is too.
Destructor, DST was criticized for the light bleed on the Enterprise

#43 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

All excellent points, Alex. I was unaware of the complaints about the bridge dome back in the day. And yeah, the plastic of the Enterprise-D seemed more robust than other ships - but I thought that was more due to the design of the ship - it's the meatiest ship in the DST fleet.

But your point about Magnets is good, too. I could imagine those monsters ripping through the hull plastic of the TOS Connie that DST put out.

#44 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that DST had changed plastics for their fleet - if they are all being produced in one factory and the Klingon Bird of Prey uses a thicker plastic, why wouldn't they use the same plastics as they have done for their new ships for their re-releases.

I think we need to ask Will Decker if the plastic used on the Klingon Bird of Prey is as robust or more robust as that used on the D.

#45 Will Decker

Will Decker

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jan 12 2013, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wouldn't be a stretch to think that DST had changed plastics for their fleet - if they are all being produced in one factory and the Klingon Bird of Prey uses a thicker plastic, why wouldn't they use the same plastics as they have done for their new ships for their re-releases.

I think we need to ask Will Decker if the plastic used on the Klingon Bird of Prey is as robust or more robust as that used on the D.

I'll do another review monday night when I get my Ent-D!

#46 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jan 12 2013, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All excellent points, Alex. I was unaware of the complaints about the bridge dome back in the day. And yeah, the plastic of the Enterprise-D seemed more robust than other ships - but I thought that was more due to the design of the ship - it's the meatiest ship in the DST fleet.

But your point about Magnets is good, too. I could imagine those monsters ripping through the hull plastic of the TOS Connie that DST put out.
Thanks, Destructor. smile.gif Here's a "chicken or the egg" question for everyone; was the plastic on the BoP actually the plastic introduced on the Enterprise

#47 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Minor nitpick: I don't think this release of the BOP features the landing gear, and I think, when the ST:III/IV version comes out, the gear will be in the form of interchangeable battery covers, as that's where the feet are tucked on the mould.

But your point stands with respect to the stresses created by the variable geometry wings.

#48 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Jan 12 2013, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Minor nitpick: I don't think this release of the BOP features the landing gear, and I think, when the ST:III/IV version comes out, the gear will be in the form of interchangeable battery covers, as that's where the feet are tucked on the mould.

But your point stands with respect to the stresses created by the variable geometry wings.
Destructor, as far as I can tell, the ST:VI release that we've just received indeed lacks the retractable landing gear, as DST stated it would. I merely included it as a reason for the thicker plastic because DST would be designing the ship to accommodate the landing gear on a future release. As I mentioned and you've also pointed out, the stresses of the variable geometry wings would be the larger cause for concern here, although the landing gear may have played a factor if DST has spare parts from this release that they may intend to use on future runs of BoPs.

I think that you might be right about interchangeable battery covers, but it's also possible that DST would just include a single alternate battery cover with the functional landing gear. Another possibility is that there's a section on the mold that's covered where DST will be able to attach the landing gear when necessary, which is a technique that they've used before. I personally think that the lack of landing gear is a nice way to distinguish Chang's experimental BoP in ST:VI from other BoP's. The ST:III/IV variant would be a B'rel

#49 Will Decker

Will Decker

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I got my standard enterprise D and she is a beaut!! Video review on youtube here:

#50 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thanks WD....Great review!!!

#51 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Magnificent review.

Is your saucer switch on? On the original release, the saucer impulse engines would light along with the rest of the ship. If they've changed that... That's pretty amazing.

How does the legal copy look?

Can we see a shot of the unlit deflector? It's glared out in the video.

#52 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Will Decker, thanks for the review of the new Enterprise

#53 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

**UPDATE**

Sorry to "bump" this, but BBTS now has the standard Enterprise

#54 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

I have the original 1701-D by DST, which I bought when released a couple of years ago. I never played with it. I tried it the day I bought it and never again until this weekend. Now I cannot get the saucer section to work, as far as lighting on its on or the "saucer sep" sounds. Whatever the LR44 batteries power seems to be the issue.

Saucer switch is on. I tried TWO different sets of new batteries in the saucer and there's new batteries in the lower hull. I also tried the saucer re-set button numerous times. The other lights and sounds (lower hull, warp, and impulse engines) work.

Can anyone help with this issue? Or do I just have a dud? Thanks!

#55 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jan 20 2013, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the original 1701-D by DST, which I bought when released a couple of years ago. I never played with it. I tried it the day I bought it and never again until this weekend. Now I cannot get the saucer section to work, as far as lighting on its on or the "saucer sep" sounds. Whatever the LR44 batteries power seems to be the issue.

Saucer switch is on. I tried TWO different sets of new batteries in the saucer and there's new batteries in the lower hull. I also tried the saucer re-set button numerous times. The other lights and sounds (lower hull, warp, and impulse engines) work.

Can anyone help with this issue? Or do I just have a dud? Thanks!
Hermey, if I'm understanding you correctly, the saucer section won't light and some sounds are missing, correct? I know that you've already replaced the LR44 batteries twice, and I realize this is a real "duh" solution, but you might want to double

#56 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hi. Thanks for the reply and assistance. Yes, you understood the issue correctly. Batteries are inserted correctly. I don't have the AGT, but I'll try taking out the batteries for a while, as you suggested, and see if it works. Really aggrivating that there are so many electronics issues with DST toys (sped-up sounds, etc.), but I understand this is a small company with small production runs and it's not really a surprise. Thanks again.

#57 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Got the D today via Entertainment Earth and UK postage company Parcel Force. It's nice but not as good as the Klingon Bird of Prey. Really it's the quality that's not as good, the plastic used isnt as nice, it lacks the attention to detail too and something about it jut looks a bit off? Like the proportions are off. That being said, it's still a very nice display ship and since this isn't available in the UK I'm happy I got it.

This may just be due to this being a reissue and not a new ship so I'm sure the B will be as good as the BoP

I've put up my own review of the big ole D at www.enterprisingyoungman.blogspot.co.uk

#58 Hermey the Elf

Hermey the Elf

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Alex,

Thanks again for your help, as it worked! I kept the LR44 batteries out of the saucer section for about five days. I then put in a new set and at first the saucer, on its own, was still "dead." But then I connected it back to the secondary hull and something clicked and it obviously did a reset and now the ship fully works. So now it's all good. Take care,

Hermey the Elf

#59 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Excellent news, Hermey!

1701, I meant to compliment you on your BOP review when I found it in one of my obssessive bi-daily google image searches for customer shots of new DST ships! ( I need help)

You run a neat site there.

EDIT:

I've read the review. The net effect of this is that so far, the D has been the high water mark for the DST ships - when it came out, it was praised by all-comers. Some whispered quiet grumbles about the innaccuracy of parts of the sculpt, or the contrast of the hull markings on the windowless neck, but they were always outweighed by the lighting, play features, and well-chosen, interactive and large selection of sound clips. In general, it was hailed as the best ship toy ever - the feedback was roughly 9000% positive.

I still hold my original release D in high esteem - It's always the first bridge dome to get pressed!

So if the BOP can overshadow it to this extent... *rubs hands together* whoah mama!

I'm really looking forward to my BOP!

Which is slightly surprising, given that my whole focus over the last 2 years has been the reissue of the Enterprise E. The BoP and the B were sideshows, in my mind - I wasn't even going to buy the B, I was going to wait for the Excelsior. That has changed a lot now. The E still has a kind of weight assigned to it dictated by events in my own life, but I'm looking forward fervently to the BOP and the B now, and only moreso knowing that one of them can eclipse DST's most accomplished ship thus far with such apparent ease.

I for one, really like the black sensor strips... I'm not sure why, but they rock!

#60 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Hermey the Elf @ Jan 25 2013, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alex,

Thanks again for your help, as it worked! I kept the LR44 batteries out of the saucer section for about five days. I then put in a new set and at first the saucer, on its own, was still "dead." But then I connected it back to the secondary hull and something clicked and it obviously did a reset and now the ship fully works. So now it's all good. Take care,

Hermey the Elf
Hermey, I'm glad that I was able to be of assistance! smile.gif If it happens again at some point, this procedure will usually work. I think I mentioned it before, but I actually had to do this on one of my Enterprise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users