• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#61 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

If it turns out that we will be able to get this figure after all, i will try my best to get one and continue my collecting of this line. I am wondering why we are hearing conflicting information concerning this figure. Why was it announced as a retailer only freebie and it is now being given away at the Baltimore con for a purchase of 60 bucks? Seems to me that Rick and Pat would have heard about this already. Maybe this is the surprise that Rick was referring to.

#62 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 10 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

^^ We can only dream ... and hope ... and pray ... and chant ... and channel ... thats what he meant VF! biggrin.gif

#63 jason

jason

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

I will buy $60 bucks worth of stuff from Rick if thats what I have to do to get her. I just want to be able to get one.

#64 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

I will second that! Are you reading this DST???

#65 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

QUOTE(knightone @ Sep 10 2006, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best Buy still has the Q collective for $20. With the $5 shipping, it's about as cheap as you're gonna find anytime soon.

As far as the figure being "sold" anywwhere, technically that's not possible. It's a promotional give-away, so it can't be sold. However, if any stock is left over after the offer expires, they can be given away. DST can choose to mail the remaining stock out to Radicals or DST or New Force or anyone else can give these away with purchase.

The same is true of the Troi exclsuive. It can't be sold because it is being given away as a promotional gift, but any remaining stock can be given away in some fashion.

I'm not sure if it's true that a "promotional give-away" can't be sold. It was true with the Marlena figure, but I believe that was a rights issue with the character and the actress.

For example, the FCBD Stargate figure was also a give-away, of a sort, but Time & Space Toys ended up selling them for DST.

I'd bet that, if Marina signed off on the likeness and CBS/Paramount gets their cut, DST could throw these up on their site for sale.

#66 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Sep 10 2006, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure if it's true that a "promotional give-away" can't be sold. It was true with the Marlena figure, but I believe that was a rights issue with the character and the actress.

For example, the FCBD Stargate figure was also a give-away, of a sort, but Time & Space Toys ended up selling them for DST.

I'd bet that, if Marina signed off on the likeness and CBS/Paramount gets their cut, DST could throw these up on their site for sale.

The FCBD O'Neill was a special case as the retailers had to buy the figures. So, technically, they could do whatever they wanted since it was a purchased item. DST, of course, did prefer these be given away, but couldn't do much about it because these were technically purchaseable by the vendors and therefore could be treated like any other retail item.

The Marlena figure can't be sold because DST never sold them to anyone. They were a gift with the purchase of the SDCC MM figures. Even New Force and AFX had to buy additional sets of the MM figures for each Marlena figure they wanted because DST could only give them away to the retailers in the same fashion.

DST does plan to sell he Marlena figure, but not as packaged for SDCC. It will be on an autographed card. This packaging variant can be sold because it was always meant to be sold. The bagged version can't because it was never meant for sale. The Troi will, in all likelihood, be the same way. So, if any stock remains, DST will have to find a way to give these to their customers.

#67 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:29 PM

Hey, I am not sure how this fits in with the "cant 'purchase' Marlena, cause she was free". I went to a comic store, and found, of all their non trek glory, a Marlena both signed and unsigned. There were no other figures anywhere, and my understanding was that the owner only bought these. He did not have any of the other MM figures, except for these. I bought the unsigned one for custom purposes, and went back for the signed one, that I dont know what to do about. How did he get them, not that I dont apriciate finding them.

#68 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:09 PM

Well he might have bought them on eBay or from other colletors that didn't want them...

If you bought the set at Comic Con each figure would have been about $12... AFX & NFC they would be $14 ea.

So if you paid more than $15 for the unsigned one I'd say you paid secondary market prices.

Point being I doubt they got them striaght from DST.

#69 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

I got the unsigned for $15 and the signed one for $20. Now before you go saying it was secondary, you should know those prices are Canadian, and cant forget the fact that they had to be brought into the country. I felt that they were the least expensive DST figures I have bought to date, and the guy should have had them all, I might even have bought them...
QUOTE(Gothneo @ Sep 10 2006, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well he might have bought them on eBay or from other colletors that didn't want them...

If you bought the set at Comic Con each figure would have been about $12... AFX & NFC they would be $14 ea.

So if you paid more than $15 for the unsigned one I'd say you paid secondary market prices.

Point being I doubt they got them striaght from DST.

#70 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:55 PM

Can someone PLEASE post pics of this new Troi?

#71 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(Mason @ Sep 11 2006, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone PLEASE post pics of this new Troi?

Haven't heard of any pics???

But I doubt it would be anything but a maroon Troi...

#72 Mason

Mason

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Collecting Action Figures, Collecting DVD's

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 11 2006, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I doubt it would be anything but a maroon Troi...

I know...I'd still love to see a piccie.

#73 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:13 AM

Yeah, this is a lot of sound and fury about a figure none of us has even seen.

Pictures, please!

#74 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Sep 10 2006, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Marlena figure can't be sold because DST never sold them to anyone.

Knightone,
I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know you're right?
Why can't DST give a figure away and then start selling it? What legal prohibition is there against this?
Dan

#75 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE(Tiberius @ Sep 10 2006, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the unsigned for $15 and the signed one for $20. Now before you go saying it was secondary, you should know those prices are Canadian, and cant forget the fact that they had to be brought into the country. I felt that they were the least expensive DST figures I have bought to date, and the guy should have had them all, I might even have bought them...

That's a pretty good price, even though there's not that much of difference between US & Canadian Money any more. sad.gif

And for the record I didn't actually say it was secondary tongue.gif

Maybe he went to SDCC and bought several sets and just sold the regulars already? I guese youd just have to ask him as all we're doing is speculating laugh.gif

But back on topic!

yes! a Picture of Troi would be nice!

#76 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Sep 10 2006, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it turns out that we will be able to get this figure after all, i will try my best to get one and continue my collecting of this line. I am wondering why we are hearing conflicting information concerning this figure. Why was it announced as a retailer only freebie and it is now being given away at the Baltimore con for a purchase of 60 bucks? Seems to me that Rick and Pat would have heard about this already. Maybe this is the surprise that Rick was referring to.

Glad to hear that VF, glad to hear that. As far as your question on it being a retailer freebie vs a con exclusive? My only thought is rumor and conjecture on some folks part, you gotta thank the internet for that laugh.gif In all honesty, I was almost hesitant on this and the WNMHGB Kirk being nothing more than that when the mass hysteria started in "the forum who's name shall not be spoke". I got the opportunity to meet Marina(along with Jonathan) this weekend and she's still as lovely as I remember. Sorry, lost my train of thought for a moment thinking about Marina tongue.gif I could see them doing the same thing with this figure as their planning on doing with Marlena and sellling a carded signed figure. For the completists out there, I hope this is the case. As I would probable value that one(if I wasn't a crazy opener), a little bit more than the bagged version. Thank god for Rick and Pat though, as someone said to me yesterday, "What would we do if Rick wasn't there for us?". Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and check out eBay to see if I can snag one of these up biggrin.gif

*Quick Edit* I kind of wished DST had made the purple version the con exclusive and the maroon one was EE exclusive. I recently watched a episode and found the purple one to be unflattering in certain angles for Troi sad.gif

#77 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Sep 11 2006, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Quick Edit* I kind of wished DST had made the purple version the con exclusive and the maroon one was EE exclusive. I recently watched a episode and found the purple one to be unflattering in certain angles for Troi sad.gif

This is exactly the reason why I have not picked up the Purple version.... and would have picked up a Red version. "Je Me Perfer Le Troi Rouge!"

#78 Kassle

Kassle

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

I preferred the maroon jumpsuit, because it looked more like a uniform to me than the lilac one (that's the one I used with my Playmates toys, til the uniformed Troi came out).

I would definitely like to get this figure...should be interesting.

#79 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:12 PM

I never liked either version. I was very happy when she started wearing a real uniform. To me neither jumpsuit version will be taking up any shelf space in my collection. But then again I have never been one to need to have every version of every character. I do hope that everyone gets the one that they want though.

#80 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:00 PM

Have ANY shown up on e-Bay yet? I have been looking several times a day and nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users