#1 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:50 PM

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:02 PM

Welcome aboard, it is always great to meet a new member. I hope that you like it here as much as the rest of us.

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

Welcome to the forum!! spock2.gif

#4 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hey LwaxanaLover!!

Good to have you onboard.

You can help me in the fight for Majel figures!! laugh.gif

One day.....one day we'll get our Number 1, Chapel & Lwaxana.

#5 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hey LL, its good to have you! I love the Playmates stories ... I get so nostalgic. I miss those days of finding figures on the peg.

#6 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:03 AM

Welcome aboard!!! spock2.gif

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:45 PM

Welcome! Glad your here!

#8 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:08 AM

Hi there! tongue.gif

Doesn't our own Artistix have a similar tale of a love-struck signing?? wink.gif

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

Majel Barrett looked the best as "Number one" in "The Cage". I never cared much for her blond hair as Christine Chapel, although i liked the character. I liked her as Lwaxana Troi the most when she was serious, rather than kooky. Majel Barrett is an attractive woman and the first lady of Star Trek.

#10 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

#11 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:56 PM

*sigh*...very well! biggrin.gif

I went to a Trek convention here in Australia to see Gates Mcfadden...back in the 90's.

I didn't know at the time that they had two lots of photo's...one lot, you could only get her signature....for the other lot you could get it personalised. I really liked a picture in the first lot...so I picked it up.

When I got to the desk for Gates to sign, I asked if she could write 'Happy Birthday Sam' as it was around my 18th birthday. She looked at me, gave me an odd smile...& said 'Sure...'

The official guy sitting next to her said that I wasn't supposed to do that in a loud & angry way....I just looked at him in shock...as I had no idea what he was talking about.

Gates handed the picture back & I walked off....I never went to another Trek convention! laugh.gif

here is the pic, though it was damaged in a storm:

IPB Image

I must have been one of the few people who actually appreciated the quirky nature of Lwaxana Troi.
I always found it a sigh of relief to see her...too many of the episodes were too serious.
I thought she brought a sense of realism.
It takes all kinds...as they say.

#12 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

#13 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 07:09 AM

Artistix

I can tell you from experience helping with security at more then a few of these conventions that it was not Gates's fault. The people that hire the stars and bring them in set the rules for things like that. The man next to her, I have no doubt, was provided to her by the Con management and was not "her" man. That man has two things that he does. One is to make sure that if a guest starts to do anything freaky, yes that happens, or to hold up the guest, he stops it and takes the role of the bad guy. This gets the star out of the equation and lets them look good and puts "This other person" the mean person role. Secondly, the con in many cases gets a kickback from the sales of photos. The "mean person" makes sure that the agreed upon rules between the con management and the star are not broken. Also, you very seldom ever hand the star any money, money is given to the "other person". I would guess that particular photo did not make any money for the con management when she signed it. Still, you did break the rules and poor Gates signed it anyway. She probably had to cover your photo with the staff!! I like her even more now!

#14 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

Cheers FHC...I feel much worse about it all now!! biggrin.gif

Yeah, I gathered all that. I have never blamed Gates in the slightest, I knew she did something she was not supposed to do. I just felt bad for making an uncomfotable moment for her.

The man sitting next to her was the guy who ran the Aussie Trek fan magazine at the time I believe...so I was aware he was not on McFaddens payroll.

It is not something I am bitter or angry about....just the only story I have to share about conventions.

LwaxanaLover....I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who have been let down after contacting celebrities. I would also like to think I would take the time out to talk to any fans who wanted, but sometimes people have a bad day...for all we know, Majel could have had scary experiences with people calling her at home.

But I'm sorry that happened to you.

It would have crushed me too biggrin.gif

#15 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

#16 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:16 AM

laugh.gif

Oh no, the guy from the Aussie Trek convention wasn't being that rude....as FHC said...in order for Gates to be the good guy, he needed to be the bad guy...& I kinda appreciate that...imagine if Gates had to say that to me!! sad.gif

I also felt terrible for not thanking her when she signed it...but I was in a state of shock for quite a while! biggrin.gif

Plus, he did have a job to do...& for all he knew, I could have just been some dodgy teenager trying to get something I had not paid for.

And Majel wouldn't be too bogged down with stuff nowadays...you should send her a letter or something.
She may just surprise you.

#17 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

^^^What I don't get is how Lwaxanalover gor her Majel's home phone number! blink.gif That must have been some kind of feat! tongue.gif

I haven't been to a con in years, and the thing that puts me off now is how huge and relentlessly commercial they seem to be. I may be a big girl now, but I don't think cons seem to be at all kid-friendly. Kiddies ~ especially star-struck kids ~ are always going to make mistakes with 'con ettiquette', but kids take dismissive attitudes shown to them by stars really personally, so that's a shame.

I know how stewards at cons have to keep the guests on-task and keep things going, but I have to say that I'm equally as puzzled as a friend of mine who told me the story of the time she met up with Tom Hardy. She had arranged to meet up with him at the 2004 Las Vegas Creationcon. He wasn't scheduled to be doing a talk or a signing at the time she found him, but they still got hassled by staff as they tried to have a conversation. In the end, he had to get quite severe with them in order to be "allowed" to chat with her.

I can see why staff would gets angsty if this took place in a queue of people wanting autographs doing a timetabled event, but sheesh!

Anyway, I think it's always a good idea to separate the actor from the parts the play, and not to imbue a celeb you don't actually know with the attributes you love about their character. Stars have their off-days too, although, judging from some of the convention tales I've heard, being professionally pleasant when ou're being paid a nice phat fee, ought to be de rigeur for all star guests.

#18 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have been told by a guest that I have helped (no I will not say who) that said if you don't mind I will always be the good cop and you play the bad cop. Get me to my room and back without being bugged by guests. It was made clear to me that they were going to act charming to guests that wanted to talk but no matter what make sure that they get to keep moving. To be honest I think that some might be a little scared of guests.

I also know someone that I trust 100% who said that they were assigned to work with a certain star. This star informed her that if they were approached by someone (either in the halls or even an autograph line where they paid money) that was mentally challenged to get that person away from them as soon as possible. They would not deal with them. The trouble was this lady works with people who have mental challenges and covered the cost for a few of the people that she helps to the con. Of course when they saw her they rushed up to her. It almost got ugly.

I have seen the rudeness come from both sides. You want insight volunteer to work security at a con. I will be doing one in April in Ohio.

#19 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:12 AM

^^^I bet you could tell some tales!! LOL! tongue.gif tongue.gif

I think it's a shame that a star would be so squeamish around mentally disabled people, but I also understand the fear about unsolicited and over-the-top behaviour that can be exhibited by some fans. Actually there are some pretty wierd people at cons who wouldn't fall into any kind of 'challenged' category, but who still act as though their living out some sort of personal fantasy. I find that scary too. Maybe, if I were a star at a con then I would consider it my duty to think of my nice phat fee and be equally pleasant to everyone who paid to be there. Dreams can be so easily shattered by a cross word or a harsh look.

.....but then, I'm never likely to be in that position so I can be as preachy as like! tongue.gif

#20 LwaxanaLover

LwaxanaLover

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users