Photo

Newbie here, with some newbie questions!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:02 AM

Hey gang!

I've been mostly a DC/Batman collector and customizer for most of my life, but I've been picking up most of the Nemesis-styled releases from Art Asylum.

Anyway, I freaking LOVE Deep Space Nine, the show, but the figures seem a tad bland to me. I've seen some customizers tweak some of the Next Gen figures to be more accurate, but I honestly never knew that some of the design elements were missing until I saw some of the comments here. Does anyone have some links to some Nemesis-type uniform fixes? Just curious to see what people did. I'm tempted to rework the Nemesis Picard and Data to better match the DS9 crew, but I'm not familiar with all the subtle differences in the outfits.

In the meantime, I'll dig around here a bit. Having fun exploring all the threads...

Matt
aka Iron-Cow

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

I always love more cutomizers! I redid some of the Nemesis figures susing the DS9 styled body by DST. I think the FC Data is pretty much OK if you dont need the front zipper. There really isnt a good Picard to work with. Here is the link (from the gallery) that show the basic changes I made:
http://www.trektoy.c...t...=si&img=181
Basically I added the zipper to a standard Sisko body, modified the AA Nem Picard head to fit and repainted the undershirt.

Welcome!!
Andy

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

Welcome Iron-Cow!

I'm more than familiar with your stuff from other site around the net! It's nice to see you over here at trektoys!

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

For those who aren't familiar with Iron-Cow, you should check out some of his work at http://www.ironcowprod.com/main.html Truly one of the best of best customizers (among other things!) out there!

So again! Welcome Welcome!

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Welcome to our little corner of the net. smile.gif spock2.gif

#5 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Nice to have ya! If you need anything ... let us know.

#6 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (slayerone76 @ Jan 16 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice to have ya! If you need anything ... let us know.

Thanks everyone!

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions once the next batch of figures come out.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Matt
aka Iron-Cow

#7 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

Okay... here is what might be a dumb question, and I'm sure it's been asked before, but just in case:

The uniforms from First Contact, Nemesis, etc... are these the exact same as the ones on Deep Space Nine? I'm assuming that the DS9 figures accidentally had the front zippers omitted, but that they were supposed to be there.

I also saw some photos of Picard with the 'flat' cut across the bottom of the pants (as opposed to the slit front upside down v shape). Was that an intentional variant? Or just something I shouldn't bother thinking about too much?

I'm toying with the idea of tweaking my DS9 figures to make them a little more accurate (and maybe repaint the faces to add a little more expression to them), but I wasn't sure of all the subtle errors on them.

#8 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

Well I think there are two styles of the FC/Nem/S7 DS9 styled uniforms. On the first type you can clearly see a zipper in the front most commonly found on Sisko and I thought Picard. The other style is more like a jumpsuit that characters wore from time to time. The only paitning difference I can think of off hand is Sisko doesnt have eyebrows in the show but the figure does. Im also not clear on your Picard question are you speaking of the movie or figure?

#9 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 18 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im also not clear on your Picard question are you speaking of the movie or figure?

Well... both, I guess? The Nemesis Picard figure has the zipper, and the straight pant-bottoms, not the v-notch like the DS9 figures. BUT, I saw a photograph of Picard from the Nemesis movie, and in the movie, he's got the straight pant-bottoms.

http://images.allmov...nemesis_012.jpg

But... well, looking back, maybe I'm wrong? It looks like Worf and Riker have the v-notches on the bottom of the pants, Troi doesn't, and Data and Picard are kind of hard to tell.

Ultimately - not a big deal, I guess. It was just something I was curious about.

#10 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

I got you now. I didnt think about the bottom of the pant leg so I was confused. This is actually the first I am hearing about this. We've had debate over the zipper v. jumpsuit concept in the past. The Nem figs done by AA IMO are not as good as the DST figs. They lack the painting detail and articulation but did have better head scuplts and more accurate uniforms. The link you posted wasnt working very well, but I dont think they had the V cut in the pant leg making the AA more figures more accurate in that respect too.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

I think most of the DS9 Nemesis Style Uniforms (Season 5 (part of), 6 & 7) have zipers... or they are supposed to...

Look at Bashir in this shot...

http://ds9.trekcore....tostand_038.jpg

and Sisko...

http://ds9.trekcore....tostand_269.jpg

but getting foot shots is more rare...

If anything I doubt the screen used wardrobe met the "unofficial" standards on most peoples web sites...

Most show the leg with a V-notch.

But in this shot... (of J Dax)

http://ds9.trekcore....rophets_582.jpg

It looks more like the pants have stirrups to keep the uniform looking tight.

#12 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Jan 18 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The uniforms from First Contact, Nemesis, etc... are these the exact same as the ones on Deep Space Nine? I'm assuming that the DS9 figures accidentally had the front zippers omitted, but that they were supposed to be there.

I also saw some photos of Picard with the 'flat' cut across the bottom of the pants (as opposed to the slit front upside down v shape). Was that an intentional variant? Or just something I shouldn't bother thinking about too much?

Yeah, the uniforms from the movies are the same as the ones used on DS9. However, for some reason DST stopped making the zipper when they released Data and LaForge with caused quite an uprising. Since the DS9 figures came after that, they do not have the zipper. If you are going for accuracy, then yes - add the zipper in the front.

The NEMESIS figures that AA did of Picard and Data did have the flat cut. DST's didn't because they reuse body parts.

#13 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Cool, cool, cool.... I'll probably just leave the figures as-is, though the zipper is a nice touch. Actually, I'm thrilled to have some great DS9 figures, I just wish they were painted as nicely as the Nemesis Picard headsculpt. The DS9 expressions are just a hair generic for my tastes.

Still, grabbed the Ensign Ro yesterday, and that was a pretty nice figure. I passed on the Nemesis Crusher for the time being, though. I need her to complete my TNG line-up, but the figure just seemed so bland. Is there a better Crusher headsculpt out there I could maybe swap?

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Chalksquared @ Jan 22 2009, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NEMESIS figures that AA did of Picard and Data did have the flat cut. DST's didn't because they reuse body parts.

But is that true for DS9 too? There really aren't a ton of shots of the feet!

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Jan 23 2009, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I passed on the Nemesis Crusher for the time being, though. I need her to complete my TNG line-up, but the figure just seemed so bland. Is there a better Crusher headsculpt out there I could maybe swap?

I think only different head sculpt we got was the AGT Crusher-Picard, but the general consensus has been that the paint job is what really held this figure back, not the sculpt... Also the way the hair is positioned can change the look...

#15 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

There are definitely better Crusher heads out there. I came across three different versions in the end ... the Zombie Bev, a second less Zombie Bev, and then a beautiful face that was what the figure should have looked like.

I think the sculpt is really nice. Like Gothneo said, its the paint and hair apps that made a big difference on this figure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users