Photo

Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you interested in purchasing customs heads at the prices and conditions listed below?

1. Yes (15 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

Hi folks, here's an update on the resized heads:

Thanks to those of you who have emailed me with which sets you want. I'm keeping a running tally of everyone's extras and subs so that once the heads are resized and the molds are made, casting the heads and assembling everyone's sets will go as quickly as possible.

Also, I want to share a quick reminder that this venture was conceived as a pre-order, and to thank Tiberius, admiralsands, and Gothneo or being the first to pay your invoices. Your three payments, added to my own, will make it possible to order the Hydrospan by the end of this week. To everyone else...feel free to shoot me a quick email if money is tight, and you can't pay for the set(s) immediately. I'd still like to know which heads you'll want, any substitutions, and when you think you'll want to pay. It's always good to be able to plan ahead.

I've realized that 10-20 resin heads in the AA/DST scale are actually pretty heavy. From this point on, I'm going to ask a flat 5.00 for international shipping. I hope our European and Canadian collaborators will understand.

Thanks also to Tiberius, who not only found and loaned out several of the 9" Playmates Heads for resizing, but also has taken this project to the "PlayTrek" site, to significant interest among the members there. Hopefully a few more collectors will want to sign on. Maybe they'll even join the board.

So, this project is moving forward. Please email me at Rob(no space)Rostad(at)hotmail(dot)com if you haven't already, and I'll add you to the list and send you an invoice.

#22 Juan Martinez

Juan Martinez

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Feb 15 2012, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a pic...

Hello. Any chance of getting a couple of these heads in the 4.5 playmates size?

#23 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Juan Martinez @ Feb 24 2012, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello. Any chance of getting a couple of these heads in the 4.5 playmates size?

Hi Juan. Shoot me an email or a PM and let's talk.

#24 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thanks to everyone for paying their invoices this week. On Friday I ordered the resizing material from the Texas supplier and we are officially on our way. I can't say when the material will arrive, as they will make it next week and send it out UPS ground when it's ready. I imagine it should arrive during the first week of March.

Thanks to Tiberius for procuring the 9" Janeway doll. We're still looking for the rest of the Voyager crew, so shoot me an email if you have one to loan out or see a well priced auction or a good sized lot of these characters.

I have mentioned the modern 2000's TMNT line as a good source for in-scale three fingered hands. I found one at a thrift store and tried it out, and it worked very well. I wanted to share pictures. The peg pops into the AA/DST wrist sockets perfectly. Any custom Tellarites and Anticians will keep their full range of motion if you guys use these hands. Would anyone be interested in an AA/DST scale head sculpt of The Traveler as part of the TNG/DS9 set? I'll be making a few more molds while the materials are in transit, so any suggestions for the TNG DS9 set will be welcome.

#25 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Feb 26 2012, 05:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks to everyone for paying their invoices this week. On Friday I ordered the resizing material from the Texas supplier and we are officially on our way. I can't say when the material will arrive, as they will make it next week and send it out UPS ground when it's ready. I imagine it should arrive during the first week of March.

Thanks to Tiberius for procuring the 9" Janeway doll. We're still looking for the rest of the Voyager crew, so shoot me an email if you have one to loan out or see a well priced auction or a good sized lot of these characters.

I have mentioned the modern 2000's TMNT line as a good source for in-scale three fingered hands. I found one at a thrift store and tried it out, and it worked very well. I wanted to share pictures. The peg pops into the AA/DST wrist sockets perfectly. Any custom Tellarites and Anticians will keep their full range of motion if you guys use these hands. Would anyone be interested in an AA/DST scale head sculpt of The Traveler as part of the TNG/DS9 set? I'll be making a few more molds while the materials are in transit, so any suggestions for the TNG DS9 set will be welcome.

Hey,

I know it's probably a given, but I would love a Tasha Yar, Katherine Pulaski and Guinan head for TNG. Maybe a Benzite plus the Traveller and Kurn (is he still counted as TNG?) How's about a Calhoun (STNF) as a bonus? And some movie ones:- Ru'Afu, Anij & Borg Queen.

As for DS9, this is where the issues start. There are just so many of them. Garak, Dukat, Quark, Rom, Nog, Zek, Leeta, Jem'Hadar, Jake Sisko, Ben Sisko with hair, Keiko, Bareil, Sisko as a Klingon (think that's enough for now dry.gif )

Take care,
Matty-lad

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Feb 22 2012, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I want to share a quick reminder that this venture was conceived as a pre-order, and to thank Tiberius, admiralsands, and Gothneo or being the first to pay your invoices. Your three payments, added to my own, will make it possible to order the Hydrospan by the end of this week.

Thanks for the update Fat Valentino, and yes your welcome! I'm looking forward to this project working out, and hopefully, people will get on board for more sets as you get to leverage the success of these early efforts!

I'll echo Matty-Lad's vote for Tasha Yar, & Katherine Pulaski in a TNG set.

I think a Voyagur set will be quite popular once you can get the basic crew heads!

#27 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Feb 27 2012, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the update Fat Valentino, and yes your welcome! I'm looking forward to this project working out, and hopefully, people will get on board for more sets as you get to leverage the success of these early efforts!

I'll echo Matty-Lad's vote for Tasha Yar, & Katherine Pulaski in a TNG set.

I think a Voyagur set will be quite popular once you can get the basic crew heads!

I'm looking! It's bittersweet, as years ago I got two of the 9" Paris and one 9" Chatokay as part of a big ebay lot, which I then re-sold for a song. How I wish I had them now!

Is there sufficient interest to do a full 10 figure set with just TNG Characters next? I could make some more molds while the material is in transit. Lots of characters to choose from...

Tasha Yar
Katherine Pulaski
Guinan
Sela
Selay
Antician
Benzite
Kurn
The Traveler
Ru'Afu (F. Murray Abraham's ST Insurrection Villain, 9" Doll Sculpt, Maybe one of the bigger Darth Vaders could serve as a base figure?)
Anji (Is there really any interest in the Anji character from ST Insurrection? There was a sculpt produced, but I for one wouldn't be too interested in her...)
Zefram Cochrane (No hat, 9" Doll Sculpt)
Borg Queen (Including Spinal Column?)

Did AA/DST ever make a "Q" figure?!

Certainly something to think about and prep for, but maybe we should save any really serious discussion until after the initial two TOS sets have been produced and sent out...

#28 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Fat Valentino @ Feb 28 2012, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking! It's bittersweet, as years ago I got two of the 9" Paris and one 9" Chatokay as part of a big ebay lot, which I then re-sold for a song. How I wish I had them now!

Is there sufficient interest to do a full 10 figure set with just TNG Characters next? I could make some more molds while the material is in transit. Lots of characters to choose from...

Tasha Yar
Katherine Pulaski
Guinan
Sela
Selay
Antician
Benzite
Kurn
The Traveler
Ru'Afu (F. Murray Abraham's ST Insurrection Villain, 9" Doll Sculpt, Maybe one of the bigger Darth Vaders could serve as a base figure?)
Anji (Is there really any interest in the Anji character from ST Insurrection? There was a sculpt produced, but I for one wouldn't be too interested in her...)
Zefram Cochrane (No hat, 9" Doll Sculpt)
Borg Queen (Including Spinal Column?)

Did AA/DST ever make a "Q" figure?!

Certainly something to think about and prep for, but maybe we should save any really serious discussion until after the initial two TOS sets have been produced and sent out...

Hey,

Yeah, Q was produced in limited quantities. It was the 1 per case for series 4.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yes, I would def be interested in a TNG set, however, I'd like a set something as follows:

Vash
Tasha Yar
Katherine Pulaski
Guinan
Sela
Lwaxana Troi
Kurn
Keiko O'Brien
K'Ehleyr
Borg Queen

Apparently I feel the ladies are under represented!

#30 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

And, the hydrospan material arrived today. Now I need to organize the completed molds and then prep everything for the casting process. Expect an update (with pictures!) in a few days...

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

Any updates? FV?

#32 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:04 AM

Yes, Things are coming along... Right now I'm waiting on an order of silicone mold-making rubber. At this point all the Playmates scale heads have been cast in the expanding Hydrospan 100. Because of the extremely short shelf life on the Hydroshrink 400, I'm waiting to crack the seal until I receive the new silicone order, after which I'll touch up a final few molds, and then I'll get the shrinking stuff cast all at once. I've been expecting this order for a couple days...To be safe, I will say that the completion date will probably be pushed back until the week of April 7th (from the previous estimate of March 31)...

Pics soon...

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Cool!

Thanks for the Update!

#34 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Hi guys, sorry for being late on the promised updates. I have to leave for work in a few minutes, but here's the quickest of teaser photos. Things are moving along well, but I do have to move the target completion date on these guys, as it will definitely be another week or so before I can ship the first round of heads.

I'm getting great results with the dolls, for the most part, and wanted to share an image of Janeway resized to the AA/DST scale.

Not bad, huh? Lots more pics to share. More to come...

#35 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

That looks kinda cool and one would think before she took Command division she was working in sciences.

#36 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Wow. Did you get all the VOY figures? or is that just one you were prepping in anticipation of offering a VOY set?

BTW, thanks for the update!

#37 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

I believe there is more detail in the larger figures, and I initially wanted a Tuvok/Janeway, so I sent him some figures to do the Flashback pair. I am sad that there was no Torres released though. We are looking for an affordable Chapel and I would love for him to work with this http://warriorsgatep...54_orig.jpg?290

#38 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

The Voy figures for me are the tue light at the end of the tunnel...I cant wait to get those!! This truly is the definition of a teaser!!

#39 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

I just bought the larger size doll Chapel, it really is a much nicer sculpt than the 4.5" version.

That said, I'm not crazy about the 4.5" Koloth scaled up. Very cartoony compared to AA/DST Kor and Kang. If anyone likes the Sideshow Koloth Bust and wants to help me buy it, you'll get whatever you want to chip in discounted on a future order...

Let me know...

#40 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Mar 29 2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe there is more detail in the larger figures, and I initially wanted a Tuvok/Janeway, so I sent him some figures to do the Flashback pair. I am sad that there was no Torres released though. We are looking for an affordable Chapel and I would love for him to work with this http://warriorsgatep...54_orig.jpg?290

Wow that Rand is really nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users