Photo

What are peoples thoughts on DST?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Poll: What do people think of DST? (56 member(s) have cast votes)

What do people think of DST

1. Fantastic, couldn't ask for more (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

2. Happy but could do better (48 votes [64.86%])

Percentage of vote: 64.86%

3. Could do better (11 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

4. Unhappy, but some great items few and far between (8 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

5. Shows potential but honestly are lacking a lot (3 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

6. I'm done with DST (1 votes [1.35%])

Percentage of vote: 1.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (The_Donster @ Feb 13 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I have to ask, how many times do we have to argue about the same thing over and over? I think that's what I'm frustrated at more than anything. I seem to remember the same argument when Adam Unger posted in the old AA forum about why they did head/body swaps and that was when AA had the license directly. Now we're still arguing the same point 3 years later, only now it's DST who's getting the brunt of the blow.

Well, that's easy to answer isn't it? Maybe some of us are still finding the same thing annoying three years later, and in the three years, it seems that whichever toy company we're talking about still hasn't found a better way of producing the range of product that the collector desires without undercutting the quality of the product that the collector also requires.

So when you ask yourself why doesn't DST listen to the Trek fans as much as they do the Minimate fans, I think all you have to do is look in the mirror. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but if the shoe fits, wear it. Because in the end, it's the same old thing, grown people arguing about toys. Which is sad, since this is supposed to be about something that brings us joy. That's why I agree with the sentiment, let your wallet do your talking for you.

Well, I tried, but my husband had other ideas. I mean, look, I'm only back here because of the recent delivery which brought DST back into my stream of consciousness (that is, apart from the times I have dolly carnage to clear up) and there were not only all the old problems cropping up, but a new one with the glue in the packaging. I haven't visited this forum in ages, but when I did, yesterday, I found this thread and I read your post, and I thought you were being harsh on other members, and I well remember how these threads used to head south over at AA for precisely the same reason, and that is members complaining about members complaining, and if you want to question the maturity of anybody who starts a thread wanting to express some honest opinions about the company and maybe checking out who else feels the same way, then I have to point the finger at those who complain about people expressing an opinion as being even less grown up. It's not a crime to be disenchanted with a product, especially when it used to be absolutely top-notch and cutting edge. Are we seriously supposed to kiss DST's collective ass for undercutting their already compromised quality with figures that aren't even attractive, let alone of merchantable quality? because that's what we're talking about: toys that would never stand up to being played with by your average kid, and collectables that don't stay looking good. I don't see a conflict here. I mean, this is a toy forum right? So, as long as people are discussing toys, I really don't see what your beef is. If people need somewhere to vent, or maybe even check out if they're the only one having problems with a product, I don't see why that is such a negative thing. In fact, in DST's case it ought not to be a negative because, very often, when people vote with their money and withdraw from buying a problem, companies may not get to hear exactly why, and if they don;t know what's amiss, how can the improve?

The disappointment is that DST has always acted like it's doing the collector big favours and have not, in three years, sought to rectify the quality issues that earnest and sincere collectors have brought to public notice time and time again.

QUOTE (FHC @ Feb 13 2009, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If nothing else it's nice to see Jules come back for a visit. Although, I would have thought that an English teacher in training would use a better word in the second paragraph, like for example, complain. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the welcome FHC! biggrin.gif

Of course, being a trainee English teacher, I am a veritable thesaurus, however, I was quoting Donster's choice of describing the way people express their concerns right back at him!

AS long as no one starts making this a personal thing, and it stays about the toys, I have no problem with the thread here. People start taking it personal, and.... smile.gif

Nope, not making it personal, but as you know, once one person starts using words like "bitching" and calling into question the maturity of others, then it's a one-way ride south. wink.gif

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Feb 13 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Juels! I was just thinking the other day about a number of members that I had not seen post in awhile, which included you. It's good to see you post.

Hey! It's lovely to be remembered! wub.gif

As for having the same old arguments (as Donster points out), I've come to the conclusion that it's inevitable on such collector forums.

Ain't that the truth! I just find it surprising that people are still surprised that it happens.

The reason is that people just aren't always going to agree. I certainly don't agree with everything people have said, some of the points that are made out do echo a basic sentiment. e.g. I don't mind reused body parts in my toy lines. I know it's a fact that all lines use them at some point or another to cost out figures, however, too much reuse will hurt a line. Points to this effect I've made in other threads include, 1. we've gotten 7 different Women in the TNG era, but they are all made with 2 basic body sizes, 2. The TNG Data Mold is flawed. It should have been broken and never used after that initial wave, yet they continue to make figures based on it. 3. DST does have quality issues. Heck My BSG starbuck figures arm just snapped off last night for no reason!

With the notable exception of Uhura, female figures are somewhat disappointing since they always look as though they were made as an afterthought.

I'm into NuBSG in the worst way (like it better than Star Trek these days), but I haven't got into collecting the toys because the likenesses are well off. Not only that, but since when did the gloriously proportioned Katee Sackhoff end up being the same size as Sharon ~ 'cos that's what it looks like!

#42 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 13 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The disappointment is that DST has always acted like it's doing the collector big favours and have not, in three years, sought to rectify the quality issues that earnest and sincere collectors have brought to public notice time and time again.

Thats my biggest problem too Jules ...well and the fact that people actually buy into it and start justifying it.

#43 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

^^^I really don't think that certain things can be justified. Certainly I don't think that poor quality control can ever be defended, especially by the collectors who are affected by shoddy workmanship. How easy is it to get a product exchanged?

Some reuse of body parts and sculpts could be justified in guaranteeing a wider range of characters if it wasn't so overdone and the figures themselves were of decent quality. That's the problem I have, the resulting figures don't stand well and when you have enough of them together on display in one place the amount of reusing sculpts becomes all too apparent.

It's lazy, and too often is being used to produce variant figures and second-stringer characters, like Ogawa, that nobody really wants.

#44 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 13 2009, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, not making it personal, but as you know, once one person starts using words like "bitching" and calling into question the maturity of others, then it's a one-way ride south. wink.gif

Hey! I live in the South! So I take offense to "Going South" as a negative! ohmy.gif

It's been sunny and in the High 60's low 70's here all week, which has been just lovely! tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure most of you in the "North" haven't had it so nice laugh.gif

#45 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 13 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's lazy, and too often is being used to produce variant figures and second-stringer characters, like Ogawa, that nobody really wants.

Hey all,

In all honesty, Ogawa was one of my favourite characters. For some reason I really liked the secondary, almost under-used characters of all the series so this wave has to be my favourite bringing us Ro and TNG O'Brien as well.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#46 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

DST Trek are like a box of Valentine's Day chocolate, you never know what you will get!! wub.gif wub.gif

Unless it's based on a Data body!! (rimshot).......

#47 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 13 2009, 07:02 AM)

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Feb 13 2009, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats my biggest problem too Jules ...well and the fact that people actually buy into it and start justifying it.

The notion that the Trek license would go unused if not for DST doing us the favor of picking it up is a true as the notion that Trek was dead after Enterprise was canceled.

Everywhere you looked in Trekdom, it was a funeral, and here we are with a major motion picture set to debut less than four years after Enterprise aired its final episode.

#48 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (pickard @ Feb 13 2009, 08:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...and here we are with a major motion picture set to debut less than four years after Enterprise aired its final episode.

The question I have, is has it been long enough? Too long? just right? We'll find out in May!

#49 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

There's some great discussion in here, hopefully DST gets the chance to see it at least. smile.gif I'm over-all pleased with the line, but there are many, many small problems that detract. People have already hit the points (paint, bad molds, cheaper products, etc.) so I'm not going to rehash all the problems, numerous as they are. Well, I'm not sure I've seen the delays mentioned here. The waiting periods can go beyond absurd at times..

On the other hand if there is a big problem, such as a leg falling off out of the package (which I've had happen), DST has had the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with. And it's nice they have the "Ask DST" section as well, even if we don't often get good news there. smile.gif

#50 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Feb 13 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey! I live in the South! So I take offense to "Going South" as a negative! ohmy.gif

It's been sunny and in the High 60's low 70's here all week, which has been just lovely! tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure most of you in the "North" haven't had it so nice laugh.gif

No offence meant ~ honest! I actually think I picked the term up from MisterPL on the good-old-bad-old days of the AA forum, but I've really no idea of how the notion of "heading south" came to have negative connotations. smile.gif

QUOTE (Sybeck1 @ Feb 13 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DST Trek are like a box of Valentine's Day chocolate, you never know what you will get!! wub.gif wub.gif

Unless it's based on a Data body!! (rimshot).......

Well I'm wondering exactly how Data delivers on that "multiple technique!! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (pickard @ Feb 13 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The notion that the Trek license would go unused if not for DST doing us the favor of picking it up is a true as the notion that Trek was dead after Enterprise was canceled.

I thought DST stepped in initially as a distributor more than anything because AA was proving too small a concern to deliver product efficiently.

#51 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Jules!!! You're back!!! When I click on "My Assistant" and I see your name (because it is right next to mine) I always think, "Whatever happened to that lass?" and I am so glad you are back... even if it is just a cameo appearance.

I was a little put off by Donster's comment about us being grown-up complaining about toys. I suppose it is true, and it does bring us joy, but when there is a problem there is nothing wrong with voicing it... ESPECIALLY here on the forum.

#52 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 13 2009, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offence meant ~ honest! I actually think I picked the term up from MisterPL on the good-old-bad-old days of the AA forum, but I've really no idea of how the notion of "heading south" came to have negative connotations. smile.gif

<tangent>
I majored in linguistics, so I felt compelled to look into the origin of "heading south." Here's an interesting read that links it to the phrase "going west" and to the business world:

http://www.worldwide.../qa/qa-sou1.htm
</tangent>

#53 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

No worries, I'm not really offended! (that's why I stuck all the smilies in there) But thanks for the link Gordo, The last bit that reads "Conversely, the American view of the south being connected with things that are unpleasant (at least to those living in the north of the country) may result from mental associations with slaves being sold down the river or to cultural echoes of the Civil War." is indeed how some people use and / or interpret the term here in the U.S.

AA may have produced a better product, but in the end they were unable to make their venture commercially viable. Art Asylum would long ago have joined the ranks of other defunct toy companies such as Palisades if DST had not bought them, and maybe that would have been better for all involved.

#54 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Feb 13 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No worries, I'm not really offended! (that's why I stuck all the smilies in there) But thanks for the link Gordo, The last bit that reads "Conversely, the American view of the south being connected with things that are unpleasant (at least to those living in the north of the country) may result from mental associations with slaves being sold down the river or to cultural echoes of the Civil War." is indeed how some people use and / or interpret the term here in the U.S.

Yes, I was remiss in not pointing out that last paragraph, so thanks for bringing it up. It's too bad that the phrase has taken on that connotation, and I hope it isn't widespread to use that phrase to demean the Southern U.S. sad.gif

#55 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Feb 13 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought DST stepped in initially as a distributor more than anything because AA was proving too small a concern to deliver product efficiently.

Yep, Diamond Select Toys replaced Play-Along at first until 2007 when DST bought out Digger and his Art Asylum company. Diggers last series of Star Trek figures was TNG series 1 - after this series, no one involved with Star Trek when Art Asylum had the license was left when DST took over.

#56 Kassle

Kassle

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Matty-lad @ Feb 13 2009, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey all,

In all honesty, Ogawa was one of my favourite characters. For some reason I really liked the secondary, almost under-used characters of all the series so this wave has to be my favourite bringing us Ro and TNG O'Brien as well.

Take care,
Matty-lad

Just wanted to second this opinion. I like Ogawa - she was on the show for quite awhile - and has some nice featured roles in a few eppies. I definitely appreciate seeing her get produced, in the same way that I like seeing O'Brien, Ro & Barclay.

I can't say I'm too fond of the "smile" sculpt, but that's a different issue entirely. wink.gif

#57 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (pickard @ Feb 13 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everywhere you looked in Trekdom, it was a funeral, and here we are with a major motion picture set to debut less than four years after Enterprise aired its final episode.

Anyone have interest in seeing another TNG movie? While I agree that proclamations of Trek's franchise demise were overblown, Berman Trek DID die, and that was really what was being mourned. It should've died years before it did, IMO, but regardless - if you were a fan of any series other than TOS, what you knew as Star Trek was essentially over with the end of Enterprise, and it isn't coming back, at least not any time soon, if ever. There's an entire generation of fans out there that grew up on the spinoffs as their primary exposure to Trek, and don't know more about TOS than Kirk & Spock references. That effect is magnified because the internet is disproportionally represented by people under 40... exactly the type that never watched much Star Trek before there was a TNG.

The new movie proves the franchise itself isn't over, but it did mean that what we knew for what? over 15 years? as Star Trek is dead and cold.

Star Trek the franchise is Sci-Fi equivalent of the Superman, Spider-Man, or Batman of the comic books. It will continue to be reinvented and reinterpreted with each new generation. Batman did not stop or start with Adam West. Superman did not stop or start with Christopher Reeve. Star Trek did essentially start (apologies to Jeff Hunter's family) with Shatner, but will not stop with Chris Pine.

Spinoffs like TNG rarely have staying power, but rest assured, some as yet unborn actor will be "Captain Kirk" to our grandkids, no matter how competently (or incompetently) the current incarnation is executed.

#58 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

I actually wouldn't mind seeing one last TNG Era Movie. If they did something like that though, I'd like it to be an homage to all the TNG era shows, which would include DS9 and VOY as well as TNG. The only problem is I don't how do you do something like that and do justice to such a huge cast. Obviously some of it would need to be whittled down to mere Cameos and a number of characters are out of the picture, but if you could build something around Janeway and Picard, It could pique my interest!

#59 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

I could go for another TNG movie, "Nemesis" is a horrible note to end on.

#60 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Feb 13 2009, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually wouldn't mind seeing one last TNG Era Movie. If they did something like that though, I'd like it to be an homage to all the TNG era shows, which would include DS9 and VOY as well as TNG. The only problem is I don't how do you do something like that and do justice to such a huge cast. Obviously some of it would need to be whittled down to mere Cameos and a number of characters are out of the picture, but if you could build something around Janeway and Picard, It could pique my interest!

When was "All Good Things" set? 25 years after the end of TNG?

...I'd love to see a movie that has Q reunite the TNG cast (with select cameos from the other crews) in a follow-up to "All Good Things" as per the actual time-line that has unfolded since AGT. The time-line is quite different now that the Enterprise-D has been destroyed, Data is dead, and so on, and I think it would be fun to see Picard & co. put back on trial in this new time-line.

...If the trilogy of new-TOS movies does well, maybe Paramount will be prepared to give us a TNG movie for the 25th anniversary of AGT in 2019?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users