Nigel's Content

There have been 18 items by Nigel (Search limited from 27-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#95736 McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

Posted by Nigel on 17 February 2019 - 10:43 AM in Everything else.

I really wanted a Spock to go with my Kirk....oh well...I have lots of DST Spocks lol

#95532 McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 09:55 PM in Everything else.

Does anyone know if these are selling well? Are we going to get a Spock?

#95528 The reason Trek Canon Is being erased?

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 05:42 PM in SciFi news.

nope. they pretty much just kept building on the film continuity for the I:m movies...

The first film had the Jim Phelps character (like Star Trek 2009 has Kirk and Spock) but played by a different actor (same as 2009). The film established a new continuity within the film series apart from what we saw in the original series 66-73 and the newer series 88-89. And yes, there are fans of the original that don't like the Tom Cruise film series....

#95526 The reason Trek Canon Is being erased?

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 05:12 PM in SciFi news.

Well, it's not an exact comparison...but the two franchises are related if you know the history. There was a brief comeback of M:I in the 80s but it wasn't all that good or well liked (perhaps like Enterprise wasn't?) so in 1995 we got the feature film which did great but, to me, diverged from the formula of the original series (Greg Morris reportedly hated it, I'm not sure how Nimoy or Graves felt). So M:I went on to be a totally different thing. The same happened with Star Trek 2009. Big, blockbuster film that departed from the formula of previous Treks and it hasn't been the same since. People say "well, there were people who said the same thing about TNG when it came out," but I was young when TNG came out and I grew up watching it, DS9 and Voyager. I didn't discover TOS until the 2004 DVD release (I had seen it before but wasn't able to see much). So I guess there are people now who have "grown up" with Chris Pine as Kirk and I guess the recent news would be not so great for them, they have my sympathy. I just "know what I like" and that is mainly TOS after the past 15 years. I re-watch it a few times a week. Sorry if I seem brash at times, I am not always as sensitive about things as I should be when I get talking online. I still love collecting Trek which is why I still come to these forums to see what people have to say about the new collectibles. Perhaps I shouldn't have waded into this subject and kept my mouth shut? Who knows.

#95517 New Star Trek Series starring Patrick Stewart

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 03:04 PM in SciFi news.

The destruction of Romulus and potential collapse of the Romulan Star Emprire has so many great story opportunities.

Really looking forward to this series.

Will it have TNG Klingons or Discovery Klingons I wonder? I hope this show does well. They say it will be a "different Picard" I am not sure what they mean besides him being older and in a different occupation.

#95514 The reason Trek Canon Is being erased?

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 02:35 PM in SciFi news.

I have no problem with diverse casts. Like I said, Star Trek and M;I have been diverse since the beginning. I grew up idolizing black NBA players as well as people of color on shows like Trek. There's more to disliking the new stuff than race/gender/orientation.

#95512 The reason Trek Canon Is being erased?

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 02:14 PM in SciFi news.

Poor, victimized Discovery because of a few mentally ill alt-right nerds.

#95510 The reason Trek Canon Is being erased?

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 01:50 PM in SciFi news.

Seriously, you guys might as well just say it plainly: "If you don't like Discovery you're racist"

#95509 The reason Trek Canon Is being erased?

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 01:45 PM in SciFi news.

the flicks are suddenly shoving some SJW agenda down their throats by hiring women and non-whites in key roles? Are people complaining it isn't "free" anymore because they have to buy a movie ticket?

Both the original Star Trek and the original M:I had diverse casts so I'm not sure why you're trying to make me out as a racist/sexist other than you can't stand that I don't like what you like.

#95507 Star Trek 4 (14)

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 12:56 PM in SciFi news.

They're still real fans, just fans of something pretty different, detached and divorced from the original timeline and canon. I am glad people get something out of the JJ films and Discovery. I wasn't hoping Star Trek 14 would get shelved. I can see Discovery going for several seasons. Just doesn't interest me. I am commenting because it is a relative event in the history of the franchise. I just hope if these Drekkies watch TOS sometime they won't get offended by everything.

#95506 The reason Trek Canon Is being erased?

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 12:48 PM in SciFi news.

They aren't interested in canon, continuity or fans. Just with making money by exploiting the franchise and its name. They did the same thing with Mission: Impossible when it became a feature film franchise.

#95504 Star Trek 4 (14)

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 12:30 PM in SciFi news.

I wrote a long paragraph but decided to delete it and just say this: most likely the Star Trek that VulcanFanatic and I like is never coming back. I'm ok with that. But it doesn't mean I'm "not a real fan" just because I don't embrace this new stuff they slap the star trek name on.

#95501 Star Trek 4 (14)

Posted by Nigel on 10 January 2019 - 10:03 AM in SciFi news.

The JJ films will be completely abandoned and forgotten just like any other modern action/superhero series (unless they do a film with some kind of alliance of jj trek, transformers and spiderman and then people will all go see that and say it's amazing then forget it exists a year later). 

Edit: I take that back somewhat, they'll forget it until someone else reboots it again with yet another Kirk and Spock....then reboot it again 10 years after that....

#95461 Merry Christmas !!

Posted by Nigel on 05 January 2019 - 08:11 PM in Random thoughts.

Sorry I am late but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you guys. My goal for the new year: finally get a DST Classic Communicator.

#95341 Toys R Us stores closing down

Posted by Nigel on 30 November 2018 - 07:34 AM in Everything else.

Toys R Us is still alive here in Canada but I don't think they're selling any DST or McFarlane Star Trek stuff.

#95340 Status of DST's Star Trek license.

Posted by Nigel on 30 November 2018 - 07:31 AM in AA / DST

I noticed some re-issues of the TOS phaser and communicator showing up online with the brand new packaging look. I think there are some other re-issues also. It's the same packaging design as is being used by McFarlane. ebay had a 10% off deal on toys yesterday and I picked up a DST TOS phaser. It's my first ever DST role playing toy, can't wait to get it. Of course this means I'll have to get a Captain Kirk costume eventually and a communicator and tricorder :P

#95339 DST Bird of Prey Reset?

Posted by Nigel on 30 November 2018 - 07:26 AM in AA / DST

I had similar problems a few years back but the fresh batteries did the trick. I love my HMS Bounty with the landing gear but I wish it had the sounds from the Star Trek VI model. :P

#95303 McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

Posted by Nigel on 22 November 2018 - 12:00 PM in Everything else.

I got my McFarlane 7" Kirk and although the packaging is a bit minimal compared to AA/DST I think it is a better figure than the DST Kirk. I hope we do get Spock and the whole TOS crew (including Chapel & Rand).