New DST Q & A with Chuck (06/29/10)

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 S'Task

S'Task

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:I've been a TOS fan since I was 6, and a completist collector shortly thereafter. Much like the 25th anniversary of Trek brought with it many joyful memories (my first convention, the last, great multiplatform gaming experience... every single 25th ann. game was different and great!) so too did the 40th anniversary.<br /><br />While it does bring me down that the DTS line is being put on hold, I remain optimistic that one day I will finally have TOS Romulans to proudly display with my Playmates Bird of Prey.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

Click here to give it a read.

Bit disappointing that the future of the Chapel/Rand wake and the Salt Vampire was not touched on :/

And I also find it dumbfounding that people are still clamoring for Voyager/DS9 stuff. I';d rather finish stuff that's already out than start crews, with a danger of never being able to complete them (the fact that I personally think Voyager was the worst Trek show of all does give me some bias) But it's mostly the fact that at this point, expecting another full crew to be produced isn't likely.. or realistic.

#2 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (S'Task @ Jun 29 2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Click here to give it a read.

Bit disappointing that the future of the Chapel/Rand wake and the Salt Vampire was not touched on :/

And I also find it dumbfounding that people are still clamoring for Voyager/DS9 stuff. I';d rather finish stuff that's already out than start crews, with a danger of never being able to complete them (the fact that I personally think Voyager was the worst Trek show of all does give me some bias) But it's mostly the fact that at this point, expecting another full crew to be produced isn't likely.. or realistic.

Yes but that is just your opinion. I am one of the ones that would love for them to do a few more DS9 and then some Voyager stuff. I dont expect them to ever make a full cast of every one that ever showed their face on the show but I would like to see some Voyager love and a few more people from DS9. But what I would realy like to see is fo rthem to do Voyager itself. That would be one awesome ship done by DST.

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

I'd like to see what I consider "Core" cast of ea show! Of course, as we've done so many times 'round here, what I think is core, and what others think will be different!

But its alllll good! I wouldn't mind if every one got the figures they wanted... I might not buy them all, but I'd sure pick up more then my share if they did!

Every series has its fans and detractors. I, for one, think DS9 was the best of them all. But that doesn't take anything away from what TOS and TNG accomplished, as I don't think DS9 would have been possible w/o them. But if DST did nothing but make DS9 characters I wouldn't complain! To me DS9 had the most varied and largest cast of recurring characters that were the most deeply developed and I'd love to have everyone of them represented in 8" of plastic glory!

And I know there are people that think that way about Spock, or Kirk or other shows.

#4 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Bring it all on, I say! I like the ships, Tech, 19" figures, 7" figures and Minimates. I'd go nuts for a good DST 3 3/4" line! Could you imagine if DST did a bridge set or shuttles for 3 3/4" scaled figures. Not just for Trek, but Battlestar Galactica and Stargate and don't forget a small Marty McFly and Doc Brown for that time travlin' Delorean! I SERIOUSLY WANT A DST 3 3/4" LINE OF FIGURES TOO!!!!!

Back to reality though, I am very optimistic and hopefull that we will one day get some official TNG Mego-Type figures! Also I love Chuck's comment about how CBS thought that Playmate's line was what they felt was best for Trek 2009. I would love to hear CBS's take looking back. I hope this doesn't kill the chances for some nice movie product in 2012. If Playmates, by some miracle gets the license again in 2012. I hope ther are stipulations in their contract that will have DST involved earlier on. It greives me to no end that we never got to see TOS 3 3/4" prototypes that DST developed for Playmates. That and not getting Wave 2 from the movie are getting a model of the Kelvin!

#5 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (S'Task @ Jun 30 2010, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No-one must have asked about it. He seems to answer whatever questions he gets, even though the responses are all pretty much the same....so are the questions I guess too.

I very much appreciate all the Q&A's DST do, though I do often wonder why they bother doing them soo often.

"No, we have no plans for that"

"We have no info on that"

"I can't answer that"

"We would love to do that but it's not likely"

"Please keep sending your questions in, I love repeating myself" biggrin.gif

#6 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (S'Task @ Jun 29 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would prefer DST give us the three most popular characters from Voyager (Janeway, Seven and The Doctor), as opposed to the C-level TOS characters people are clamoring for.

There is no such thing as "finishing" crews, because the definition is much too subjective.

#7 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

I think it was a shock to them that the Seven figure they were going to produce didn't garner enough retailer support. I do prefer complete crews and I want my TMP crew so I really want Chapel and Rand for head swaps. Just give me Decker and Ilia too so I can buy multiple copies and get customising!

#8 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

I think the best approach with respect to "complete" crews is the simplest. If the actor was in the opening credits, then his/her character should be part of the complete crew. Of course by that definition, TOS complete crew only consists of the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate, but for all other shows I think it works pretty well.

From a subjective point of view, I could care less about a character like Jake, and would rather see Garak made, but meh... we all have our preferences, and if I were looking for objective criteria, that would be it.

#9 X-Ray

X-Ray

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

At this point, I want figures that I'd get the best mileage out of. By that I mean, ones that'd be useful for customizing. Getting a Janeway, Paris and Tuvok would open up a lot of customizing options.

I know a lot of people are eager for a Chapel and Rand, but they honestly don't hold that much interest for me.

#10 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (X-Ray @ Jun 30 2010, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At this point, I want figures that I'd get the best mileage out of. By that I mean, ones that'd be useful for customizing. Getting a Janeway, Paris and Tuvok would open up a lot of customizing options.

I know a lot of people are eager for a Chapel and Rand, but they honestly don't hold that much interest for me.

Just those 3 would open a lot of DS9 (and a few TNG) customs.

#11 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'd settle for just the DS9 figures they showed but never released, namely the S4 Sisko (preferably with captain's chair) and Dax and Dukat. I'd also like a Bajoran uniform Kira. If I got those four figures, I'd be pretty happy.

#12 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:09 AM

Hello! It's been a long while since i posted anything here but i keep an eye on proceedings biggrin.gif.

I've not really followed much DST news of late, My feeling is this, sure no company these days can ignore the economic climate or sales and profit, but what i really find so frustrating is that after seeing so many amazing toys still come out of NECA and Toynami, Mezco, Hasbro... DST just seem stuck and unable to produce much at all - and it's not just Star Trek... their Marvel Select line has taken a tumble in quality - their recent Iron Man 2 figure was pretty lame and i know it shouldn't be this way at all but I wish these days that the Star Trek license belonged to someone else, anyone but DST! It just seems that they have really lost focus. They have these great brands just doing nothing! The way they judge sales just isn't right, it must have something to do with the perceived (by DST) lack of interest in Star Trek - you can't base the popularity of a figure on pre-sales when you know your company is bad at keeping to release dates! I've never pre-ordered a DST item because i know I'm going to have to wait longer for it than stated online... I'm just so disappointed with the lack of anything coming from DST. Aside from issues i've had with the quality of product i get for my money, I've just given up on this line, it's so dull and boring these days and with all do respect to DST - they have done some amazing things! - but i think it's time to pass the torch onto someone else - if someone else wants it - if not then i think it's better off dead.

#13 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:53 AM

I personally wouldn't want DST to lose the license if only for the Trek Tek and Starship Legends lines. No other company has done as much or as well with role-play toys or vehicles of any type or for any license than AA and DST has done with Trek. Their role-play toys and ships are second to none and I want to see them keep coming.

I'm not sure what the deal is with DST's figures, but perhaps a change of business plan or venue is in order, along the lines of MattyCollector, perhaps or some other change. But the present business plan for the figures is simply not working.

#14 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (1701 @ Jul 1 2010, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello! It's been a long while since i posted anything here but i keep an eye on proceedings biggrin.gif.

I've not really followed much DST news of late, My feeling is this, sure no company these days can ignore the economic climate or sales and profit, but what i really find so frustrating is that after seeing so many amazing toys still come out of NECA and Toynami, Mezco, Hasbro... DST just seem stuck and unable to produce much at all - and it's not just Star Trek... their Marvel Select line has taken a tumble in quality - their recent Iron Man 2 figure was pretty lame and i know it shouldn't be this way at all but I wish these days that the Star Trek license belonged to someone else, anyone but DST! It just seems that they have really lost focus. They have these great brands just doing nothing! The way they judge sales just isn't right, it must have something to do with the perceived (by DST) lack of interest in Star Trek - you can't base the popularity of a figure on pre-sales when you know your company is bad at keeping to release dates! I've never pre-ordered a DST item because i know I'm going to have to wait longer for it than stated online... I'm just so disappointed with the lack of anything coming from DST. Aside from issues i've had with the quality of product i get for my money, I've just given up on this line, it's so dull and boring these days and with all do respect to DST - they have done some amazing things! - but i think it's time to pass the torch onto someone else - if someone else wants it - if not then i think it's better off dead.

I agree with some of this but not about the Marvel Select line. They seem to be slowing down on everything but that line. The Ironman 2 MK VI, MK IV (Borders) and War Machine are some of the best figures they have ever put out and some of the best in my collection. Like knightone I wouldnt want DST to loose the license just so they could keep making ships and tech. I am starting to think that another company would be better suited for the action figurte part of it though. After picking up the Terminator figures from Neca and seeing what they are doing with the Predators license I wouldnt mind seeing what NECA could do. But I would still like to see someone like Hasbro do smaller 3 3/4" figures.

Now back on topic. According to one answer they would be up for making Voyager (the ship) but feedback from sales and buyers dont look good. What I want to know is who they are contacting as far as buyers go. That way we can all start emailing and callling to tell them different. I would shell out good money for a nicely done DST Voyager. These "buyers" must not be to in touch with the collecting community if they dont think a Starship Legends Voyager would get any interest.

#15 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:39 AM

So they must have solicited the figures enough times for them already; like directly to previous buyers, by preorders, and by the toyfair type avenues. I wonder if they have tried resoliciting any figures, to try and regaging new interest? Any failed attempt might have caused the preordering/waiting for visual evidence, fans to revolt. If I were to expect a solicited figure to arrive at retail, or wherever I would not be happy to see them go. maybe my interaction with said entity, might make them realize they were mistaken in the first place.
If they were to reintroduce the figures to the buyers, maybe they might take a bigger bite the second time.
A retry of First season Sisko in Chair, might garner a bit more interest a second time. That might make DST interested in a first season Dax... etc.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jul 1 2010, 04:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I personally wouldn't want DST to lose the license if only for the Trek Tek and Starship Legends lines. No other company has done as much or as well with role-play toys or vehicles of any type or for any license than AA and DST has done with Trek. Their role-play toys and ships are second to none and I want to see them keep coming.

I have to agree with that. I was as disappointed as anyone else over the demise of the action figure line, but I really like the Trek Tek line. If all I get are a couple of new role play items, then I'll take that over nothing.

#17 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hmmm? Doesn't Hasbro also own Master Replicas now? Trek Tech like those amazing lightsabers might be nice.

#18 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

I was always surprised MR never did a Trek FX line. A lower cost Trek line might have done them some good. Maybe not.

#19 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

While I don't collect the ships or tek, I have seen them and they are pretty cool. I wonder. Could DST keep those items going but relinquish the action figure license to a new company? If they did...could/would that company build on what we have instead of starting in a new scale? OR...well...I could go on and on with the what ifs. I don't imagine any of them will come to be.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:54 AM

Why re-linquish it if they don't have to? I mean no one else is clamoring to get it, and it probably doesn't cost them anything if they don't use it... the main thing is that AA/DST does have a lot of capital investment into the line in the form of molds. So I think they really do want to find ways to recoup that investment, but if stores just won't buy the line what are they to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users