• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#101 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Well I got mine today and I'm absolutely blown away by it! What an awesome ship!

Here's my review: http://de1985.blogsp...enterprise.html

The coin is identical to the one Art Asylum produced for their line back in 2001/03 so it has the weird AA logo on the back of the Enterprise patch. 

#102 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Holy crap!

That's an unbelievable improvement!

That paint app is phenomenally crisp and accurate, so far as I know. The sheen on the hull is just crazy-good. Before I saw the side-by-side, I didn't realise what a Quantum Leap (hehe Bakula) this is in quality - and that's saying something - the AA original was really, really good, despite its oft-noted shortcomings.

What's more - look at those rich LED lighting colours!!! And isolation again - no lightbleed evident! Goddamn - I wish I had the disposable income/interest in Enterprise to get this one, because it's a frickin' beautiful model...

Well done, DST, keep it up!

EDIT: 1701D, just read your review - great photography and excellent review! I really, really love the lustre of the hull!

#103 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:36 PM

Great pictures, great review. :)

I hate nitpicking, but I think all of us look at these pictures for faults etc. My bar isn't too high with stuff like that (I don't mind a wonky small decal, paint smudge etc - as long as the thing has no gaps and is stuck together properly), but I do scour these pictures as it were, and this ship appears to be faultless. Indeed, it appears to be a QUANTUM LEAP over the original version!

Putting this paragraph here to clarify that Destructor's post appeared as I was typing this one, and that I thought of the Quantum Leap pun all by myself! I concede that I've been beaten to it though, and award ten points for its glorious use. ;) :P

#104 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:48 PM

lmao :D

#105 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:25 PM

I hate nitpicking, but I think all of us look at these pictures for faults etc. My bar isn't too high with stuff like that (I don't mind a wonky small decal, paint smudge etc - as long as the thing has no gaps and is stuck together properly), but I do scour these pictures as it were, and this ship appears to be faultless. Indeed, it appears to be a QUANTUM LEAP over the original version!

The bubble looking things at the back of the nacelles are silver instead of copper. I was looking at the CG model alongside OAD's pics to do some prep work for when I do my video, and that is the only fault I can find in the paint job. 

#106 mynameschris

mynameschris

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:00 AM

Wow this is gorgeous, always liked the NX-01 (though I am with Dough Drexler that I wish they had done her with the more TOS styled white hull) and I am very much looking forward to seeing this in store and hopefully picking it up.

The texturing and paint apps on the hull look great and I love that this one has very little light bleed in comparison to the original and even some of their more recent ships!

#107 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:47 PM

BBTS now has this up for preorder. 

I'm curious if me contacting BBTS and mentioning it to Zach on Facebook had anything to do with it. I doubt it, and I will probably never know. 

#108 tuvok47

tuvok47

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:05 AM

So yeah. They should have left out the coin and made the stand black.

#109 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:57 AM

The coin is a nice touch and actually I really like having it back.

The stand would have looked nice in black but doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's a lovely model and really respects the work and choices Art Asylum made back in 2001.

The only negative is that the stand seems quite delicate.

#110 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:55 AM

So my NX is in Iowa right now... I imagine it won't actually get here today. Hopefully it gets transferred to the post office today so it will be delivered tomorrow. 

I hate FedEx Smartpost....

#111 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Holy crap!

That's an unbelievable improvement!

What's more - look at those rich LED lighting colours!!! And isolation again - no lightbleed evident! Goddamn - I wish I had the disposable income/interest in Enterprise to get this one, because it's a frickin' beautiful model...

Jaw=floor. Destructor, I couldn't believe the improvement in quality myself when I saw those pictures. The light bleed at the front of the original version's saucer was actually intentional if memory serves me correctly though; I seem to recall that it was meant to mimmic the forward "beam" of light that was at the front of the saucer on the series. Supposedly this was considered for the Enterprise–A as well, (it also has that "beam" at the front of the ship,) but ultimately excluded as Art Asylum couldn't find a way to work it into the design without breaking the bank. (Had DST done it with the TWOK 1701 the entire saucer would have lit up because of pearlescant paint scheme so I doubt they ever considered reviving the idea.) Still the new NX–01 looks significantly superior to the original design, and it's truly amazing how little things like painting thrusters and using tampos for hatches can make the ship look a thousand times better than before.

BBTS now has this up for preorder. 

I'm curious if me contacting BBTS and mentioning it to Zach on Facebook had anything to do with it. I doubt it, and I will probably never know. 

I noticed that on the 22nd and placed my preorder last night. I'm not sure if contacting Zach on FaceBook or the fact that we discussed it here contributed to BBTS adding it, but for what it's worth, I e–mailed BBTS around the same time that you did and received the exact same form letter that you posted here as a response, so my guess is that BBTS was always planning to stock this and that their distributor was just slow in getting a deal done with DST.

The coin is a nice touch and actually I really like having it back.

The stand would have looked nice in black but doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It's a lovely model and really respects the work and choices Art Asylum made back in 2001.

The only negative is that the stand seems quite delicate.

Agreed on the coin; it kind of makes me with the Enterprise–E had included the NEM coin from the Art Asylum days as well, (I'm pretty sure the Enterprise–A also had a TOS coin originally, and wouldn't have minded that making a return either,) but I understand why it didn't. I know this will sound funny, but I always liked the Art Asylum coins, and was kind of disappointed when DST abandoned them after acquiring the company, even though I understand their reasons for doing so. Also agreed on your point about the stand; I know it was originally blue, but that was a design decision made when the thought was that each era would have a different colored stand. With everything else being black, I would have preferred DST opting to keep things consistent. Still, I can't wait to get my hands on this ship; it's simply gorgeous and having one that's in line with all of my other DST ships is simply thrilling. I can only hope that we get an Enterprise–C soon so that I can finally complete my collection of Prime Universe Enterprises (I know the Reliant is our next Federation ship,) from the 22nd–24th centuries. I'm kind of eager to rearrange my display, but don't want to do so without an Enterprise–C as part of it. The NX–01 itself is beautiful though, and as much as I dislike Enterprise as a series, I love this toy and am hoping for an NX–02 Columbia variant, and possibly an I.S.S. Avenger NX–09 or I.S.S. Enterprise NX–01 reissue as well.

#112 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

http://m.imgur.com/qV01q4N

I got my new NX, she's a beauty.

Unfortunately I'm not going to have time to shoot my video until Sunday evening. Stupid smart post screwing me over by being 2 days later than they initially said.

#113 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

Still no preorder up fm BBTS :(

#114 jk19

jk19

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

I think the pre-order is available at BBTS.

Just look under Star Trek: Figures & Replicas>Enterprise

It's marked as Star Trek Enterprise Enterprise NX-01 Reissue

March 2016

$59.99

#115 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

I think the pre-order is available at BBTS.

Just look under Star Trek: Figures & Replicas>Enterprise

It's marked as Star Trek Enterprise Enterprise NX-01 Reissue

March 2016
$59.99

Tks,found & PO it!

#116 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:42 PM

Got my review done.

It's 20ish minutes long, and took me over two hours to record and edit everything.

It's currently exporting, then will automatically upload to Youtube. I'll post it once I make it public after doing a watchthrough to make sure everything is good.

Edit:
Well Youtube seems to be stuck at 0% uploaded.

Going to export to my computer instead of directly to YouTube, and try manually uploading it tomorrow.

#117 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

Video is up. 

#118 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

Great video dude, nice parting shot, and yeah, she's an absolutely beauty. The primary things to check when picking one up at the shop, is the nacelles (as always, not that yours are wonky) and the deflector dish (easy to ignore all the same due to its size).

I absolutely love the bridge sounds with the lights-on feature. If Forbidden Planet's stores are charging the same price as their web stores for this (and not repeating what they did with the Excelsior...), then I'll pick this up as soon as possible.

#119 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

Great video. Fifty shades of grey... ROFL

#120 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

Man, I need this re-release! Looks so much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users