• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:04 PM

I wonder though... if The Orville was a straight to subscription service series whether it would find a bigger audience than Discovery? I wonder if Discovery would of had as much success on network TV as it had on All Access and Netflix?

Well then we wouldnt know because there would be no public numbers, the same way we dont know how Discovery is doing. For all we know Orville has double the audience of Dicovery.

#22 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

Not to be flippant... but does it really matter?

Just one more example of why they are truly different things to me. I don't sub to Netflix, showtime, HBO, or anything else besides Amazon and CBS that has their own exclusive content... so I only hear about alot of stuff based on the buzz it generates, and then I really only see it if my local library decides to buy the series when it comes out on DVD... and that means I'm basically years behind.

The only thing that ever matters is how they monetize it... and right now AA has said this is the way they are going until they decide not to. 

#23 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

I'm really only interested in comparing the success of The Orville to the success of other Fox series. Every network has its own criteria for what makes a series profitable. No network executive says, "Well, gee, these are terrific numbers for a much smaller network so let's keep it on our schedule!" (Not if they want to keep their job.)

Fox gave it a second season. They must be happy with its performance despite losing over half its audience. So long as it's profitable they'll keep broadcasting it. The question is how to draw in a larger audience. 

#24 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

I'm really only interested in comparing the success of The Orville to the success of other Fox series. 

Ok, On that note... I absolutely find LA to Vegas hilarious.  its rating numbers aren't that much off what Orvilles were...  I'll watch both... but I honestly find LA to Vegas more entertaining. 

We'll see if they renew it or it gets cut short. 

#25 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

Gotham has been a roller coaster ride for me. I'm a lifelong Batman fan and I've come to grips with the notion that this is yet another Elseworlds tale. It's enjoyable and imperfect but it has its audience, including me.

Unfortunately its ratings have been trending downward, lower than those of The Orville. By that measure, I can understand why Fox renewed MacFarlane's show given its much higher ratings.

I'm just not sure if they should offer more of the kind of humor his fans expected or more sci-fi that attracts folks like us. I guess it depends on which fan base is larger. They can't continue sitting on the fence because they'll end up watering the show down. That's why the Rotten Tomatoes scores were initially so low.

I still want to see a time travel episode that's an homage to TOS.

#26 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Well... according to the cancel bear... the fate of Gotham is currently a tossup..

#27 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:38 AM

Yeah, the Rotten Tomatoes scores for Gotham have gone up but ratings have continued to slip. The current season had a low of 2.53 million viewers, compared to The Orville's first season low of 3.32 million. That said, I have to wonder which series is more expensive to produce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users