26 replies to this topic

#1 gotham_knight

gotham_knight

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Most things toys and sci-fi

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

Is anyone else finding it hard to expand on their collections due to the spiraling postal costs of retailers online or on ebay?

I currently am trying to fill out my DST collection as i had missed a bunch of releases, so ebay is one of my main outlets to get some of these missing pieces. However some of the shipping costs are a bit crazy for items coming from the US to the UK. I know that due to the change in the US $ strength against the UK

#2 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (gotham_knight @ Jan 11 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is anyone else finding it hard to expand on their collections due to the spiraling postal costs of retailers online or on ebay?

I currently am trying to fill out my DST collection as i had missed a bunch of releases, so ebay is one of my main outlets to get some of these missing pieces. However some of the shipping costs are a bit crazy for items coming from the US to the UK. I know that due to the change in the US $ strength against the UK

#3 gotham_knight

gotham_knight

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

To be honest id rather not say the sellers name just incase i open a can of worms.

But i have to say ive noticed a lot of retailers in the US listing prices as high as this for shipping to the UK, now i know a lot of retailers are also very wary of sending anything out without tracking which i can also understand as i work as part of a mail order company myself. I just cant see that the shipping prices quoted on some of these auctions are justified.

I could even see the reason for those prices if it was a large and heavy item that was ordered but $28-$30 for a 6"-7" figure is just a bit out there.

#4 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

Thus the reason I don't buy from AFX anymore- I've asked them twice in the past about their shipping costs, and both times (spread out over a year at least) they said they know it's a little higher and they're looking into other methods.

#5 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

I normally try to balance shipping against paying Tax. It helps.

#6 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

The falling value of the

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, Rick at New Force is an awesome Seller and I would go through them for sure.

#8 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ Jan 11 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The few places I have bought from are New Force Comics and Sci-fi Genre who both ship at fair and reasonable prices and don't rip you off. Give them both a try.

I will second any statement that says good things about New Force. I've bought almost my entire collection from Rick, and it's the best place out there that I've found. Being in the US I have no idea about international shipping... but still.. highly recommend NFC.

#9 gotham_knight

gotham_knight

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

Im glad, i just bought stuff on ebay from New Force biggrin.gif

The problem is the stuff thats not avaialable in the UK through retailers or web-retailers which force me to have to buy from ebay stupid postage people.

Case in point, i ordered from a site called Star Store who claimed they had some FC Datas in stock...next day i recieve the sorry we dont have that in stock email. I had the same from them 3 weeks earlier when i tried to buy a Locutus from them...i ended up buying the Locutus from someone in australia.

Anyone got any hints on where to find FC Data?

#10 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (gotham_knight @ Jan 12 2009, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im glad, i just bought stuff on ebay from New Force biggrin.gif

The problem is the stuff thats not avaialable in the UK through retailers or web-retailers which force me to have to buy from ebay stupid postage people.

Case in point, i ordered from a site called Star Store who claimed they had some FC Datas in stock...next day i recieve the sorry we dont have that in stock email. I had the same from them 3 weeks earlier when i tried to buy a Locutus from them...i ended up buying the Locutus from someone in australia.

Anyone got any hints on where to find FC Data?

for FC Data...try CMDstore.com they have him in still...thats where i got mine

#11 gotham_knight

gotham_knight

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for the info, i think i can order from them but the ugly postage rears its head again they want $32.95 for shipping to the UK...more than double the cost of the actual figure.

#12 gotham_knight

gotham_knight

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

Ive managed to order the FC Data from CMDstore.com, i managed to get a friend in the states to accept delivery of it and they will ship it out to me once they recieve it. Shipping in the us was $7.95.

I dont quite understand how $7.95 in the US would become $32.95 for outside the US.

#13 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

Cool...whatever you do... DO NOT order from Toynk Toys....AKA Ronmad on Ebay. They are the WORST seller I have ever dealt with. they charged a CRAZY shipping price, Every time I sent them an E-mail they sent me back this crappy unpersonal "copy and paste" E-mails, and when I received my package, one of them is literally barely hanging to the card, and I still haven't received any response from them, and it has been 3 days.

#14 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

Paperwork, forms filled out, got to pay someone to do that? Also you can have free boxes if you ship US by USPS but out of U.S., you have to buy your own packing and boxes ect...

Taking some guesses here.

To mail U.S. I can mail the box at any of 20 places in town but out of the U.S. must be done at the main post office on the other side of the city and I have to full out the forms. In the U.S. They will even pick up at my house if I call them and ask.

#15 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

I've only used Toy NK once. It was slow but I got them in the end. Star Store is a disaster. They work out of a shop in Meadowhall Shopping centre in Sheffield called The Last Picture Show. I visited there last year and asked why their site lists all this stuff that they dont have. They said that they dont have time to update their website so theres hundreds of out of stock items still listed there. It's bad trading practice if you ask me.

Batson Toys is an ebay seller in the UK that has a few Star Trek items at really good prices. Check them out. And Play.com is great so long as you dont want your package mint as they send them out in jiffy bags. As an opener it doesn't bother me that the packaging gets damaged in the mail.

#16 gotham_knight

gotham_knight

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ Jan 12 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Batson Toys is an ebay seller in the UK that has a few Star Trek items at really good prices. Check them out. And Play.com is great so long as you dont want your package mint as they send them out in jiffy bags. As an opener it doesn't bother me that the packaging gets damaged in the mail.

Ive contacted Baston Toys about combining postage on multiple items but theyve yet to reply to me, i sent another message today. I didnt even realise Play stocked the figures ill have to check them out.

And im an opener so some damage to the packaging doesnt bother me...i dont like keeping my figures in little plastic prisons biggrin.gif

#17 gotham_knight

gotham_knight

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Jan 12 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paperwork, forms filled out, got to pay someone to do that? Also you can have free boxes if you ship US by USPS but out of U.S., you have to buy your own packing and boxes ect...

Taking some guesses here.

To mail U.S. I can mail the box at any of 20 places in town but out of the U.S. must be done at the main post office on the other side of the city and I have to full out the forms. In the U.S. They will even pick up at my house if I call them and ask.

I understand your guesses as i do work for an online mail order company myself as well as a store, but i still think some of the prices are a little out there when it comes to reality even by putting something on top for staff costs. Shipping and handling is what its supposed to cover but i still think some shipping prices are over exaggerated to give a little more profit to the seller.

#18 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Jan 12 2009, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool...whatever you do... DO NOT order from Toynk Toys....AKA Ronmad on Ebay. They are the WORST seller I have ever dealt with. they charged a CRAZY shipping price, Every time I sent them an E-mail they sent me back this crappy unpersonal "copy and paste" E-mails, and when I received my package, one of them is literally barely hanging to the card, and I still haven't received any response from them, and it has been 3 days.

I have used ToyNK many times and have never had trouble. It has been a while since I last used them though.

#19 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

In some cases I could see that. As I understand it sellers only make about 10% on figures. Some prob do use it as an income maker.

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

international shipping prices are very expensive right now for the average shipper so companies are also passing that along. To ship 4 figures to england moc it cost me right around $20. Toynk ...Ive ordereed through before and never received my product nor an email. I had to contact my credit card to get the charges reversed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users