• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#101 bolorin

bolorin

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

Please give us a Captain Janeway in the 2rd wave! I mean if they are going to throw us another Locutus figure the least they can do is give us a Janeway.

#102 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jan 13 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also see they skirted the issue of the warped legs on the TMP set. It would have been nice to get a real answer on that one.

Yeah, It didn't really seem like something they wanted to discuss. I did however, like the way they kind of said that 3 3/4 inch scale wasn't going to happen, but then said maybe 2010. Makes me think that it might be up for consideration now. I guess it depends on how the movie figures from Playmates do.

#103 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

Brandon Giles:
Why? Why? Why is DST still using those horrible leg sculpts from the Data and Barclay wave? I noticed on the TMP Kirk and Spock Two-Pack that both figures have the defective legs that were used in the aforementioned wave. Sisko

#104 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

I love 3 3/4" scale if its done right. For example theres a huge difference even within companies ala Star Wars/Gi Joe = done right, Indiana Jones= not done right. Another good example of it not being done right is Infinate Heroes vs. Mezcos' Hellboy which are some of the most incredible figures ever captured in that scale.

#105 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

Something that I love about the 7 inch figures is the detail. I am not sure it's possible to get that with the 3 3/4 inch figures.

I never thought I would like bigger figures when I was collecting the original Playmates Star Trek line. Now I can't imagine going back. I guess size really does matter.
wink.gif

#106 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

The Mezco 3 3/4" line will change your mind about detail. heres a link to the figs and I own them and they look almost exactly like that so its not just cgi magic

http://images.entert...5CMZ15120lg.jpg

#107 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 14 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indiana Jones= not done right.

You and I are more or less in agreement on 3 3/4 " figures, but I think this is an overgeneralization. There are some jewels in that line. Henry Jones and Young Indy come to mind.

#108 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

From a scuplting/articulation point of view they were ok. From a paint application POV they were all pretty bad. Star Wars has the same problem sometimes too.

#109 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (pickard @ Jan 14 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You and I are more or less in agreement on 3 3/4 " figures, but I think this is an overgeneralization. There are some jewels in that line. Henry Jones and Young Indy come to mind.

The Temple of Doom Wave is also very well done. 3 3/4" figures have come a long way in recent years. I just hope DST will get in on the action! Pun intended. Boxed sets of the full crews would be awesome and if they did it like Hasbro's Battle Packs and made the box look like the bridge, I know I'd buy two. One to open the other to leave in the package. Maybe they could even do like the GI Joe collectors packs. The GI JOE logo actually played the theme song!

#110 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jan 14 2009, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love 3 3/4" scale if its done right. For example theres a huge difference even within companies ala Star Wars/Gi Joe = done right, Indiana Jones= not done right. Another good example of it not being done right is Infinate Heroes vs. Mezcos' Hellboy which are some of the most incredible figures ever captured in that scale.

Yeah those Infinate Heroes aren't that good. Hasbro is going to so own them when they release theMarvel Universe 3 3/4" figures. Too bad Mattel couldn't shrink The Four Horsemen's sculpts down 3 3/4" for Infinate Heroes!

#111 bolorin

bolorin

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:47 PM

If there going to go smaller, I know this isn't that much smaller but if they went the way of Dr. Who figures that would work for me, plus the likeness on those and the articulation is really good. I know they are considered 4.5 or 5 inch.

#112 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

In my mind the 4.5 -5" scale is the scale of the 90s with Toybiz doing it and for us Playmates. Im pretty much done with that scale because for customizers there are so few things to choose from that fits. Halo did some figures in that scale and I think they would have gone over a lot better in any other scale. In my mind and my taste the only tow ways to go are 6-7" or 3 3/4". Other than those two count me out but thats just my taste.

#113 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hi guys, I don't mean to go off-topic but as regards the last Q&A, did anyone else get a special 'freebie' for having their question answered? Mine was the one that asked about the Enterprise D having a play cover, and also enquired about the HD 1701. Shortly after submitting the question, I got an email from someone at DST telling me they wanted to give me a free gift, and that I should reply with my mailing address. After verifying the person was genuine, I did, and now have a 2007 Comic Con Exclusive 'Genesis' Khan figure. I'm just curious as to whether everyone gets one, or am I just a lucky b******?!

It was to thank me for my loyalty (which is fair enough, I've bought everything they've made Star Trek-wise except the figures funny enough!). Needless to say that even though there was never any doubt, I'll continue to buy every ship, phaser, tricorder and other tech they make! smile.gif

#114 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:31 AM

I got one back in October for asking a question.

#115 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:59 PM

Yes I got one too for asking a question!

I had one, but it was nice to get another!

#116 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:17 PM

That's really cool. It's nice to see companies still do stuff like that, especially in recent times. smile.gif

#117 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (Jay K @ Jan 18 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys, I don't mean to go off-topic but as regards the last Q&A, did anyone else get a special 'freebie' for having their question answered? Mine was the one that asked about the Enterprise D having a play cover, and also enquired about the HD 1701. Shortly after submitting the question, I got an email from someone at DST telling me they wanted to give me a free gift, and that I should reply with my mailing address. After verifying the person was genuine, I did, and now have a 2007 Comic Con Exclusive 'Genesis' Khan figure. I'm just curious as to whether everyone gets one, or am I just a lucky b******?!

It was to thank me for my loyalty (which is fair enough, I've bought everything they've made Star Trek-wise except the figures funny enough!). Needless to say that even though there was never any doubt, I'll continue to buy every ship, phaser, tricorder and other tech they make! smile.gif

I also recently got a Genesis Khan for posing a question on their Q&A section , it was a nice little bonus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users