• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#21 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

Having not read the Q& A as yet, I hope I understand the information...
Salt Vampire is being released?? I realize the cast has been set, but. That throws a new spin on the "not continuing on any AA lines", the said NO to that figure, so if it is going ahead, what about the other NEVER figures, like Enterprise.
I do think they should do a Romulan, at least so we can buy a bunch and make others, including Kirk as Romulan...

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

Salt Vampire is not being released, it is just a contender if they decide to do another TOS wave. DST always says "never say never" except when it comes to "Enterprise". And it's not like they haven't made TOS figures since they've taken over the license, they've made several. If they make a salt vampire, though, it will most likely be a completely new sculpt rather than being based on the previous prototype. It's like how the new Borg figures are not based on the previous Assimilation line.

As for 24th century Trek Tek and the Voyager ship, it sounds like DST has everything for the next year or two planned out and some stuff waiting in the wings for after those items are done. So I can understand why they are saying they won't get to those, it's just too far in the future for them to be able to promise us they will get to them. If, in a few years, if they still want to continue with the license and they've exhausted what they already have on their list, I'm sure those will be the most obvious options.

Considering they said they aren't considering 24th century Tek and the assault phaser isn't at the top of the list for what's next, I would have to guess the "Cage" laser is the next release after the TWOK phaser (other than a possible TMP variant of the TWOK phaser, of course). TOS sells the best and it is the only other item other than the assault phaser that hasn't been exhausted. HMS made a prototype for it for MR and they opted not to produce it, so it would be nice for DST to release one. They could do a ST3 phaser, but the design isn't as recognizable nor is the film memorable enough to warrant it. If they won't make 24th century Tek, I doubt they will make a ST3 phaser. They could do a movie era comm or tric, but a phaser is usually more exciting and recognizable. If 24th century Tek is out, then it would have to be a "Cage" laser followed by an assault phaser.

#23 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

I don't know guys, to me it sounds like their license is almost up. With quotes like: "I don’t think the Voyager is one that we’re going to be able to get to," and "before its all said and done." That gives me the feeling that they have the rest of the line planned out. With 2 more ships planned, that could be two more years. (ideally)
Now, take a look at these old photos from the '06 ToyFair. I noticed this back then, but just remembered it after reading this new Q&A:
http://www.action-fi...g2_itemId=17788
http://i.toynewsi.co...b...800&start=0

Notice the words 'production timeline' on the card in the background of the first pic and 2010 being the end of said timeline in the second link? (man, I feel like a conspiracy theorist) Anyway, it seems like their license is up in 2 years, but I may be totally wrong. It's just a guess.

On topic, I will be sad to not be able to add the Voyager crew, but will hope for at least Janeway to complete the Captains.

#24 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:28 AM

Shh, be easy on the apocalypse talk, you'll frighten the natives. In fact, my knees are already trembling in fear.

...where's the button to activate the signal to get DSTMatt to post...

#25 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:37 AM

I'm sure that is when their license expires, but they and Paramount can choose to renew it. I think, in all likelihood, they will. The line appears to be picking up, especially with TRU picking up select items to carry in-store. Only time will tell, but I think things look good. If they continue along this trend, I'm confident the line will continue. Of course DST can't predict exactly what will happen, therefore they can't predict what they will be working on two or three years from now and so can't announce it.

Just keep in mind that only a month before the TWOK figures were announced, they were still saying "we'll see" or "maybe in the future, if we get the chance". A few weeks before the S1 Picard and Riker and even a few weeks before the TMP two-pack, DST was saying "we've discussed it, but we have no defnite plans" and other similar responses. So you never know with DST. They can't and won't say anything about a product unless they know for sure they will have an opportunity to actually release it, so don't be disheartened just because they gave a negative answer in the Q&A. As Chuck is fond of saying "Never say never".

#26 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:13 AM

I do hope that DST do keep the line past 2010. I have been impressed with most of their offerings. I spose the whole "we'll not do all of Voyager" could change if what they do offer does really well. The one thing that would annoy me a little is not building the USS Voyager. I mean, the intrepid class design was just awesome and is one I'd love to add to my collection (without spending hundreds of pounds on a playmates version).

#27 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE(A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Sep 5 2008, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd rather they give us a Romulan... any TOS Romulan... than the Salt Vampire. (But hoping said figure would be Mark Lenard) Doesn't mean I hate the idea of the S.V., I just think that Romulans have made such a greater contribution to the Trek universe that they scream out for treatment of some kind.

Rommies would sell like hot cakes! I've never understood why DST hasn't given us at least the BOT commander and Sela from TNG.

#28 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(DS9_Fan @ Sep 6 2008, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do hope that DST do keep the line past 2010. I have been impressed with most of their offerings. I spose the whole "we'll not do all of Voyager" could change if what they do offer does really well. The one thing that would annoy me a little is not building the USS Voyager. I mean, the intrepid class design was just awesome and is one I'd love to add to my collection (without spending hundreds of pounds on a playmates version).

I agree. I'd be disappointed if they didn't make the whole Voyager Crew. I'd rather they put the efforts into that, rather than another wave of TWOK figures, except for Carol and David Marcus of course to complete all the principle characters from that movie.

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:29 PM

I prefer to think that they just needed an end point on that timeline chart so they picked the start of the next decade.

Maybe it ends in two years, maybe it ends next year, maybe it ends next month... or maybe it goes on for as long as it's deemed mutually profitable. Point is I don't think we know so I'm not going to worry about it until someone says fer sure!

#30 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(JulesLuvsShinzon @ Sep 6 2008, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rommies would sell like hot cakes! I've never understood why DST hasn't given us at least the BOT commander and Sela from TNG.

Yes I agree. We need some Romulan figures, and figures of a few other alien races that we saw on screen, like the Bolians. It would also be nice to have some other principle Klingon characters made aside from Gowron, and Worf.

#31 X-Ray

X-Ray

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(Thomas E. Johnson @ Sep 6 2008, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be disappointed if they didn't make the whole Voyager Crew. I'd rather they put the efforts into that, rather than another wave of TWOK figures, except for Carol and David Marcus of course to complete all the principle characters from that movie.

Agreed, I know TOS in any form sells well, but come on, don't bury us in it and not give us the chance to come up for a full Voyager crew.

#32 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:26 AM

I would be quite sad to see DST stop producing Trek. It would also be upsetting not to have complete crews (hello, Enterprise!). The reason a friend of mine, who was heavily into Playmates Trek, didn't bother with AA/DST Trek is he wasn't confident they could reach the wide variety of characters Playmates did. *sigh*

(though he did cave in with TWOK wink.gif )

I thought for sure the Defiant would be next on their ship list. sad.gif

#33 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

If not Defiant then what. They implied that it wouldn't be an enemy ship by saying they'd like to get to one before thier time was up. That leaves the Excelsior and Reliant, as they said it wouldn't be the Enterprise B or C. They might blow us all outta the water with a Deep Space Nine! But now I'm dreaming.

#34 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:31 AM

Yeah, somehow I don't see DS9 ever getting done. sad.gif

#35 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:40 AM

Lol...me either. Not if they wont commit to doing Voyager.

#36 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

I'll say, I'm very surprised with the ship situation. I've waited so long now for a nice model of the Defiant, and suffered so many setbacks (Bandai were about to release a snap-kit like the Enterprise-E and Voyager, then didn't, and then Corgi dropped the small die-cast version). I know there's always the chance to buy the Ertl kit, but I can't paint/make models, I'm rubbish! Hopefully they'll still make one after the next 2, and it won't be so bad waiting 3 more years for it (I've waited 12 already!). Such a shame, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what the ships will be. I'd rather have some than none at all. Still miffed though. sad.gif

#37 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

I'm predicting the Reliant. Although I would love a DS9, I too doubt they'll ever do it. They'll do the Defiant or a Runabout before they'll do the actual station.

#38 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:43 PM

I agree. The TWOK merchandise seems to be doing very well and DST probably wants to get as much out of it as possible.

#39 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:29 AM

If they did do the Reliant, I wonder if they would do any variations on it, such as Sisko's emotional burden the Saratoga, or maybe even the Bozeman with a coinciding release of a polybagged Captain Kelsey Grammer (or Captain Bateson, whatever one wishes to call him) figure. biggrin.gif

I'm quite sure they would do a battle damaged version for a retailer exclusive.

I just really hope the second ship they have planned is a Klingon Bird of Prey. With raising/lowering (I'm okay if I'm require to move them myself) wings. This could be nicely followed by the Defiant (since there were plenty of K-BoPs in DS9), and then Excelsior as they should be getting around to, or have already gotten to TUC by then.

Plus, could you imagine a clear plastic version of a Klingon Bird of Prey? Or even a black transparent plastic... The thought of it has me near giggling in giddiness.

#40 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:03 AM

If it isn't the Defiant (which we know it isn't) then I'm hoping for the Excelsior. I know people may argue that the Reliant is the most logical next ship, what with TWOK figures already released. But I'm hoping that an Excelsior release may coincide with the release of a TUC 2 Figure pack, and hopefully one of those figures will be Captain Sulu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users