14 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

MCW has a review up now of the Spock and Kirk 12" figures, HERE

He's a bit kinder to these, and I'm actually surprised at the score he gave them considering his opening statement (I figured He'd have gone 1/2 star higher!)

But, again, I think he's pretty much in sync with my thoughts on them.

If I see them on sale I'll get some.

#2 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

That review pretty much confirmed my assessment in the aisle at TRU.

I'm going to pick up Spock because of the better likeness, but I'm going to try to find it a little cheaper than $30.

#3 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

Huh, they look better then I expected. I really like the clothes on them. I'm assuming the pants are made of the sort of material that is black in real life but photographs looking brownish/purplish. I've seen that happen before. Still not sure if I'll go for these though because of the price.

#4 gibbspaulus

gibbspaulus

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:03 AM

Damn, darn, gosh, bums.

I wasn't buying these... until now.

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:28 AM

I do agree the outfits look nice!

#6 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

With no time to go looking around I guess that I'll know what they look like when my order from New Force shows up at the door. Anyone got any they would shoot me some nice high res photos of?

#7 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 16 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh, they look better then I expected. I really like the clothes on them. I'm assuming the pants are made of the sort of material that is black in real life but photographs looking brownish/purplish. I've seen that happen before. Still not sure if I'll go for these though because of the price.

Found these last night, and no, the pants do have that off-black color to them. Basically they look black until you see them next to the boots, which are actually black. I don't mind it tho, it offsets the uni a little and gives it some more character. Plus I think they make the shirts pop more. i actually really like the designs on the new movie pants, they look more military than ST ever has imo.

Not sure if I'll keep him or not but I did pick up Kirk. Of the 3 scales, this ones the clear winner for that character, even at the higher price. In his review MWC says that these are closer to toy than collectible, which for me is a good thing. I just wish they had released Nero in the first wave to go along with him.

BTW, even tho Kirk is the only one i picked up, both McCoy and Spock look a lot better than the Kirk does. Their heads seem proportioned better and they have better likenesses. McCoy actually looks the best of the 3 imo. I didn't take a close look at old Spock, but at a glance he seemed on par with the others.

#8 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

Okay. I was weak. I drove to get a Bridge and I ended up with all the 12'' figures. I'm going to have to be careful with entertainment money for the next week or so but it's worth it. The 12'' figures are amazing. Definitely my favorite of all the lines but for very different reasons. The clothes are great and fit very well. I even like the Kirk head. The accessories are really cool. It makes me sad they didn't just paint the roleplay phaser the same silver they used on the accessory version of the phaser. It looks great.

#9 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (JonWes @ Apr 17 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay. I was weak. I drove to get a Bridge and I ended up with all the 12'' figures. I'm going to have to be careful with entertainment money for the next week or so but it's worth it. The 12'' figures are amazing. Definitely my favorite of all the lines but for very different reasons. The clothes are great and fit very well. I even like the Kirk head. The accessories are really cool. It makes me sad they didn't just paint the roleplay phaser the same silver they used on the accessory version of the phaser. It looks great.

I agree, the accessories are a big reason I like these. Forgot to check when I saw them last night, does Bones come with any extras?

#10 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

Bones is the best value because he comes with a Tricorder! He's the ONLY figure in any scale so far to come with one! I'm mad Kirk and ESPECIALLY Spock didn't come with one frankly... still... beautiful figures. Though when I was taking them out of the package I noticed the top torso comes off rather easily from the legs on some. They reassemble and are sturdy after that but I think if you were playing with them that'd be a problem. Interestingly enough my 3.75'' Original Spock and 6'' Nero do the same thing.

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

I really like the 12" figures, naturally i like the Spocks better, but that Bones and Kirk look great, i am tempted to buy them too. I think the reason Spock didnt get a Tricorder was because he has an extra hand. Bones doesnt.

#12 anti-hero

anti-hero

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Apr 17 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really like the 12" figures, naturally i like the Spocks better, but that Bones and Kirk look great, i am tempted to buy them too. I think the reason Spock didnt get a Tricorder was because he has an extra hand. Bones doesnt.

My bday was yesterday so I was finally able to open up the 12" Kirk...love this figure! It's nowhere near as articulated as most sixth scale stuff out now, and the sculpt is kinda soft. Plus it has the squishy style head and it got a crack right through his ear, not too noticeable tho. But there's something about this figure that is just all kinds of fun. Picked up Spock and McCoy too, and now I'm definitely wanting them to complete the entire bridge crew!!!

Also, in his review Michael mentioned some older sixth scale playmates stuff...is there an archive of those somewhere? I'd really love to get a villain or alien or 2 to go along with these. I know about the 9" pm figs, but don't remember any 12".

#13 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (anti-hero @ Apr 23 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, in his review Michael mentioned some older sixth scale playmates stuff...is there an archive of those somewhere? I'd really love to get a villain or alien or 2 to go along with these. I know about the 9" pm figs, but don't remember any 12".

Check this site out:New Force Star Trek reference

#14 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (anti-hero @ Apr 23 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only 6" Figures that were released were the First Contact Movie Figures, and then the Warp Factor Combat Action Series, which the only Aliens that came out of those were a Cardassian, Jem'Hadar, Borg and Q. The rest were starfleet crew, Wave 1 was TNG wave 2 was DS9

#15 gibbspaulus

gibbspaulus

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:45 AM

Okay, so my 3 12" figures showed up this morning as promised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users