Mego reproduction figures on the way!

• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

Action-figure.com has posted an article about DST re-releasing the Mego Trek figures. Check out the link HERE.

Very cool news I think!

#2 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

Well, clothing styles from the 60's and 70's are making a come back. Why not toys. biggrin.gif

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:06 PM

On a good day these can still be picked up on Ebay for close to that amount. Why get a repo? They found a ton of these in a warehouse back in the mid 80's and so they are not that rare. Now of they did repo's of the Aliens, then they would be on to something.

#4 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

I think this is pretty neat! I hope they make them all, including the Romulan.

#5 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

I also would like to see them do the entire line...

#6 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Jan 24 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a good day these can still be picked up on Ebay for close to that amount. Why get a repo? They found a ton of these in a warehouse back in the mid 80's and so they are not that rare. Now of they did repo's of the Aliens, then they would be on to something.

Around 1990, I bought Kirk/Spock/Klingon (through Diamond) from that warehouse find.

I'd buy Scotty or McCoy if DST made them available.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

I didn't know that the originals were still widely available, but I've never really looked before. I still think its cool and nostalgic. Maybe they will revisit the aliens and then who knows what will happen to the prices of the originals.

#8 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:27 PM

I think they are pretty cool looking.

If they expand, it would be nice if they could tweek Uhura's paint job to help her out this time around!

But imagine if this is not the only two figures they will be releasing??

This could be peoples first chance in many, many years to complete this line. Sulu, Checov, Chapel & soo many other names that could be added to the line that never got the chance first time around.

Yes yes, I know...it may just be Kirk & Spock...& that is still cool. A little bit of nostalgia is always welcome.

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:44 PM

I'm all over these! I really hope they try and repoduce the cardback as well!

I too would love to see the entire line re-issued. The Alien Originals are just too pricey for me to get, but I'd get repos in a heatbeat!

#10 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:17 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

#11 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:48 AM

Now I have a dilemna, pick these up or the 9" Playmate figures unsure.gif

#12 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:35 AM

I do prefere the 9" playmates. But nevertheless I love the Megoes.

But... Why do they reproduce the most easy to find and inexpencive Kirk and spock Mego figures? They should do McCoy and Scotty and especially the Romulan and the Andorian Mego. That way people who can afford original Kirk and spock figures could finally get that Romulan or Andorian they always wanted.

And yes, I'm aware that that would deminish the price of the originals. But who cares?

#13 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

Well, I think this could definitely play into the rest of the line being done, depending on sales. I don't care about the original prices either. I have always looked at these with longing, but never picked them up, knowing one day I would have to sell some very important left side appendages to get the entire line.

#14 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Jan 25 2007, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do prefere the 9" playmates. But nevertheless I love the Megoes.

But... Why do they reproduce the most easy to find and inexpensive Kirk and spock Mego figures? They should do McCoy and Scotty and especially the Romulan and the Andorian Mego. That way people who can afford original Kirk and spock figures could finally get that Romulan or Andorian they always wanted.

And yes, I'm aware that that would diminish the price of the originals. But who cares?

I agree but I doubt that it would bring the price down that much because they would still be rare and that's what costs you the money. You can get repo's now if you really want to, they are out there.

#15 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, repros won't have too much of an effect on the value of the originals.

I'm eager to see the packaging for these.

#16 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:24 AM

If they produced the Romulan again, I would buy one. tongue.gif

#17 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:43 AM

Yeah, if they release the rest of the crew and the rest of the line and the price is right, I might be game. Especially since I would probable buy two sets, one to take out of the package and one to keep in. Did everyone just hear that? That was FHC's heart exploding at the thought of someone taking a Trek toy out of it's packag tongue.gif

#18 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Jan 26 2007, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, repros won't have too much of an effect on the value of the originals.

Oh yes it will. Many will try to sell the repros as the originals. This will undermine trust. This will also make the originals seem less rare. This will also deminish the demand for originals, since you can then complete your collection with repros. Originals will still be rare, but the demand will be less. Therefor the prices of the originals will go down, though maybe not that much.

#19 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:23 AM

I would love to get these new Mego style Star Trek figures, repro or not i dont care. I have been waiting several years now to purchase a set of them on ebay MOC , but i havent found the right price. I do have a couple of MOC Spocks, and a MOC Kirk, but the others are too expensive, and the Aliens are out of sight for my limited budget. I would certainly buy a couple of sets of every crew member and all the aliens if we get fortunate enough for them to make them all.

#20 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Jan 26 2007, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yes it will. Many will try to sell the repros as the originals. This will undermine trust. This will also make the originals seem less rare. This will also deminish the demand for originals, since you can then complete your collection with repros. Originals will still be rare, but the demand will be less. Therefor the prices of the originals will go down, though maybe not that much.

I don't think a MOC Romulan or any other MOC alien from the line will lose any value from any repros. Sure, there will be Ebay scammers, but there always have been and always will be scammers on Ebay. As someone else pointed out, Mego replacement parts have been around for years. If someone wanted to make a fake Romulan with fake packaging and all, they could have done it already. Packaged reproductions aren't changing anything and there are still many collectors who, even though a reissue is available, will still want to get the originals if they can afford them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users