Star Trek Select

• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#61 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Aug 26 2012, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im also curious to see how much taller the STS Spock is compared to the AA Spock. In the Facebook thread, DST stated that its going to be the 7" scale compatible with the TNG line.

Which are relatively chunky figures compared to the original AA TOS figures which I still think are pretty fine quality compared to some of the dross that showed up later.

In a way it's utterly brill that 7" Trek figures are going to be made again - it's my favourite scale, but - ugh - again - sorry - more Kirk and Spock!!! I know Kirk and Spock sell and sell well, but wouldn't it be awfully fab to have a 7of9 in her alcove? The Devil in the Dark might be a memorable episode, but isn't doing a horta (which is a multi-coloured puddle of puke0 and a few rocks - well - a little bit easy...

..or am I being a curmudgeon again?

#62 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Sep 6 2012, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which are relatively chunky figures compared to the original AA TOS figures which I still think are pretty fine quality compared to some of the dross that showed up later.

In a way it's utterly brill that 7" Trek figures are going to be made again - it's my favourite scale, but - ugh - again - sorry - more Kirk and Spock!!! I know Kirk and Spock sell and sell well, but wouldn't it be awfully fab to have a 7of9 in her alcove? The Devil in the Dark might be a memorable episode, but isn't doing a horta (which is a multi-coloured puddle of puke0 and a few rocks - well - a little bit easy...

..or am I being a curmudgeon again?

Overall, I agree with you...though I think the Horta will be a great addition. I hope it's removable...I'd rather display it and save Spock for if and when we'd get a complete crew in this slightly taller scale...BUT...what I'm holding out hope for is that the third figure is from TNG...that they will "legacy" line it a bit. If they do that, I'll be more likely to commit. Really, the third figure should be Season One Data in Soong's Lab or with Lore OR Voyager's Seven of Nine either in her alcove or facing off with the Borg Queen. I guess it depends how much this "second entity" in this line plays a role. Khan is the "other" in the Kirk figure...so I'm not sure what to expect or what kind of articulation would be there. The Horta really won't answer that question. We'll see what's next.

#63 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think the notion is that this is a completely new line that although may be compatable with what DST has done before - ultimately charts its own course with different sculpting, articulation, better detail, elaborate bases and under the DST "Select" banner.

Whilst it is yet another Kirk and Spock - for those who have not collected the previous line - its the perfect chance to start without having to pay through the nose on ebay and who better to kick off this new line with the most iconic characters in Star Trek. As Paramount and JJ Abrams would like people to think, the same could be said with Star Trek: Select - this isn't your father's Star Trek action figure line - it's something new. I sold my AA/DST action figures a while ago and I'm pretty interested in collecting these, start all over again from scratch.

I'm hoping for this line to go beyond TOS like everyone else but I'm guessing we'll get the more iconic characters rather than the less well-known. If the line is a success, TNG is a given I think... DS9 and Voyager? Not so much.

Picard, Data, Worf, McCoy

#64 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I am having to retract my initial "I'm so in!"

Kirk and Khan are far too static for my collecting tastes. These are more statuesque than they are what I define as an action figure.

If they had been like NECA and only partly static with natural poses, I would still be in. The only way to display these 'figures' is on this base, and I don't want to have to buy extra figures to get natural standing poses.

I am sorry for me and my restricted definitions, but glad for all of you who are excited about them.

#65 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

If I do buy this set, the bridge piece will be going in my TOS display.

Don't know what I'd do with the staction figures. Guess they would go in a box. Like Slayer above I am an action figure collector, & while I don't require 40 points of articulation or anything crazy like that, I do like basic movement. Knee's & hips are essential.

#66 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

I'm a little out of the loop, so forgive me if this has already been addressed:

Is the Select line open to any and all Trek, aside from the Abrahms movies? As in, could we possibly see Next Gen, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise characters in addition to the Classic Trek and Movie-era classic crew?

Also, I saw some 2-d artwork of the Kirk/Khan set. Were photos of the protos ever unveiled?

Thanks!

Matt
aka Iron-Cow
(totally longing for a Quark/Morn set eventually)

#67 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Sep 8 2012, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a little out of the loop, so forgive me if this has already been addressed:

Is the Select line open to any and all Trek, aside from the Abrahms movies? As in, could we possibly see Next Gen, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise characters in addition to the Classic Trek and Movie-era classic crew?

Simple answer: yes. More complex answer: But we'll have to see how these two sell and it's unlikely we'll ever get to a point where we're seeing Tom Paris in his Captain Proton garbs. DST began with Kirk and Spock to see how the two most popular characters sold. If these don't sell as well as DST would like it's probably never going to get past Kirk.

Also, I saw some 2-d artwork of the Kirk/Khan set. Were photos of the protos ever unveiled?

The only imagrey we've seen of Kirk/Khan has been a video uploaded by DST onto their facebook page. A full Spock/Horta prototype was shown at this years SDCC.

#68 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

so mixed on this line! I want it to succeed, yet I don't see myself paying $20+ for accessories and background dioramas. I think i'll be shopping for the loose discounts on ebay...

#69 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

DST have put up a photo of their Kirk Select figure - looking cool biggrin.gif

See the image here!

#70 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

I remember watching a scene exactly like that one night, except it wasn't Star Trek. The guy said he was a plumber.

#71 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

In that picture it looks like the elbows are a pin joint maybe even a ball joint which would make the Kirk a little more poseable. Is it really too much to ask for maybe one set of somewhat articulated legs? I just dont get the thinking here. I too want this to be successful but they are making it very difficult for me to want to spend my cash on this.

#72 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

I think the theme they're going for is to have both pairs of legs as static so as not to create a fully articulated figure like they already made previously. Also, from the video with the guy talking about Kirk he mentioned that you can use Spock's legs with Kirk so it seems like they want to encourage you to buy other figures for desired poses.

#73 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Obviously I think DST need to pose this set better but as a set I think it looks really good and it's going to look really cool standing next to the Select Spock.

Apparently the next figure isn't going to be TOS so looking forward to seeing something pop up on that one biggrin.gif

#74 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

i think it would be nice to have one set of legs in some sort of dynamic pose and then give us a second set that is articulated. Why just articulate the arms? Isnt leg movement just as important?

#75 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

The more I think about it, the more I realise it is unlikely I will buy these. Especially as I would simply be buying them for the bases & to help sales. Plus with DST telling us it won't help our chances at getting that Nurse Chapel figure, I just don't think they are worth it to me.

I already did the 'buy the Kirks & Spocks & that will get us Nurse Chapel!!'...it ain't gonna happen. But please, wake me if they do ever show my beloved nurse. Actually scratch that...wake me if you actually see her ON STORE SHELVES. Prototypes mean nothing.

#76 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Personally I'm not too fussed about not having leg articulation. For me these will be set up in their poses and then displayed on a shelf. If anyone has the Universal Monsters Select figures, they only have leg articulation if the diorama demands it.

#77 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I like these diorama type figures and bases but I think we might start to get bored if they keep doing the same characters over and over. I would love to see Kirk and Spock from Amok Time with a Vulcan base, A Guardian of Forever Base. This concept would be better if it included lights and sound clips! It would have been great if the Horta would light up. I think alot more could be done to add to the collectibility factor here! Just maybe Hasbro will give us a 3 3/4" Star Trek action figure line and we will have the articulation we are hoping for. Maybe that is what Hasbro means by not making "collectible" figures, they will instead be making something that kids can use with playsets of bridges and shuttlecraft (I hope!)

#78 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

eh for me an action figure is supposed to be able to display...action. Action meaning movement and poseability. These are statues and although they look nice and I always like to see Star Trek succeed (unless it was Abrams version of Star Trek) I just can't spend my money on these. I don't like preposed figures and that was my main reason for getting out of Playmates Trek back in the day. I also don't believe in spending more money to get less on my figures. Yes we are getting display bases but the bae is not an action figure. I expect figures to be able to be posed and when they can't, I don't care how nice it may be I won't be spending my money there.

#79 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

OK. lets be real here for a minute. The old DST figures are nice and all but you cant get a decent natural looking action pose out of them for anything. So lets not start trying to call out the new ones because you don't like pre posed legs. At least when AA did the first TOS figures they put in thigh cuts and swivels at the boots along with torso articulation so you can get a better pose but with the DST stuff you are pretty much stuck with a standing straight up pose. I guess that is great for a either a standing group shot or a transporter display but not much of anything else. I like them but I also like the new ones too. I say we give them a chance. If you absolutely don't like them then don't buy them. These have articulation and no matter how people may define them to themselves these are still action figures.

I say instead of complaining about what you don't want. Since we know this is the direction they are going lets talk about what figures and bases we would like to see from throughout Trek. These have a lot of potential to be something cool.

We know we will get at least one Kirk and Spock a year which will probably pay for the other figures so who do you want to see? What version of Kirk or Spock would you like to see?

Maybe a two part guardian of forever base that each half comes with Kirk and Spock or McCoy.

Nazi uniform Kirk and Spock

Gangster Kirk and Spock
A proper TWOK Spock death scene Kirk and Spock

And for the rest how about: Janeway and the head of the borg queen being lowered to a static body
7 or 9 in her Alcove.

Sisko and Dukat fighting with a cave display

Picard and an injured Dathon with a camp fire base

Quark and a section of his bar with a static Morn on a bar stool

This is supposed to be a fun hobby for us. Lets have fun with it. Just because this is an internet forum does not mean we always have to argue and complain about everything.

#80 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Certainly the skill and the detail in Art Asylum's Enterprise, Original Series and Borg Assimilation lines were second to none, DST can't compete with what AA originally put out. They were just jaw-droppingly brilliant but these Select's look a lot better than DST's last few Star Trek AF lines, certainly in keeping with what they do for Universal Monsters Select and Marvel Select. By the time we got Data and LaForge the old line was all but dead. This line seems a lot more exciting and the poses are way better than anything an action figure of the last line would have been able to achieve. I'm with JMW326, we should give this line a chance and actually appreciate the fact that DST are bringing Star Trek action figures back when really based on the lack of popularity to the last line even when they were doing Riker & Worf, DST should be running a mile from Trek action figures.

I'm hoping that we'll see a broad range of figures from various parts of the franchise but my one wish is that they do a captain's box set - Archer, Kirk, Picard, Sisko & Janeway - maybe with their captain's chairs or maybe just with a cool looking base but I'd love to see all 5 captains in scale with one another and from the same line of AF's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users