djc242's Content

There have been 32 items by djc242 (Search limited from 28-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#97568 New Star Trek Series starring Patrick Stewart

Posted by djc242 on 08 March 2022 - 09:48 PM in SciFi news.

In Belanna’s case it was her Federation citizen human dad that was disappointed in how Klingon she turned out to be. I can only imagine what that type of parental rejection does to a young child. Worf was also a pretty bad dad. There were all kinds of human conflict in the earlier Trek series. The way things were shown or not shown was different.

I think that is why I lean more towards DS9. They wanted to explore situations that they could not do in TNG and VOY. Really a missed opportunity to have the Maquis in Starfleet uniforms by episode 2 of VOY. There could have been a lot of great drama to mine getting the two crews adjusted.

#97564 New Star Trek Series starring Patrick Stewart

Posted by djc242 on 08 March 2022 - 01:16 PM in SciFi news.

I think the father issues make sense. That seemed to be a common thread in Trek with Sarek/Spock, Riker and his dad, Tom Paris and the admiral. Belannas dad was also a jerk to her.

#97561 New Star Trek Series starring Patrick Stewart

Posted by djc242 on 07 March 2022 - 02:50 PM in SciFi news.

Really liking where this is going! The Stargazer is awesome, inside and out.

I might be in the minority but I am not a fan of the STO ships. It is cool to bring in visual references that many fans love though. Just not for me. I was really hoping one of the ships in the fleet was a Galaxy class but it was a different class.

I also felt Guinans scene was off. She normally illuminates some key part of the story or helps another characters journey. It felt like a catch up scene which isnt how she has been used in the past. If Picard had given her a little bit of his family issues that would have made sense. Maybe we will see more of her.

Someone I know is serving on the editing team for season 3 and says that it is really good. The only tease I allowed him to give me was that the show runner is a big fan of the Kirk era films. So maybe this means we will see elements from those stories. Really bummed this will only have 3 seasons but maybe characters will be seen in future spin-offs.

#97560 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by djc242 on 07 March 2022 - 02:44 PM in SciFi news.

This season is a mixed bag for me. I like the concepts a lot. Many things in the early seasons of the show are just not great and hard to fit into the overall timeline. The thing that bothers me most is that by the distant future warp is still the mode of travel. In Voyager alone we had so many faster than warp options that after a few decades or even hundreds of years would have been perfected. It should also be easier for them to replicate the 23rd century technology of the spore drive, especially almost 1,000 years later.

They should have waited for the season to finish before airing Picard - it overshadows Disco in my mind.

#97545 Top 5 Figures You Want to See in the Relaunched Lineup

Posted by djc242 on 07 February 2022 - 12:00 PM in Playmates

Captain Boday or nothing.

#97540 Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Posted by djc242 on 04 February 2022 - 11:57 PM in SciFi news.

Beautiful poster! I feel like we are in a gold-pressed latinum era of television/series. There are so many great things to watch! Just hate that they are across too many streaming platforms - just call it Cable 2.0 all ready and bundle it haha. Im also looking forward to the Halo show.

#97515 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by djc242 on 29 January 2022 - 12:56 AM in Playmates

Micro Machines would be cool. Just hope they are better than the last Star Wars line they did for The Force Awakens, Rebels, and Rogue One. Not as good as their first offerings for either franchise.

#97514 Top 5 Figures You Want to See in the Relaunched Lineup

Posted by djc242 on 29 January 2022 - 12:52 AM in Playmates

I didnt even think about Enterprise! Got to get the main crew and at least Shran. Morgan is right that Shelby, Ezri and Martok are a must.

Id really like:

Admiral Janeway from Endgame
Ensign Nog
Colonel Kira
Capt. Jelico
Chancellor Gorkon

#97506 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by djc242 on 28 January 2022 - 12:32 AM in Playmates

There are so many other sources for more detailed, more expensive highly breakable ships and other collectibles. This is a concept that appears to have been lost over the many years that products like this have catered solely to collectors, lets make a toy for kids to play with and that parents can buy without breaking the bank. If theres no toys or video games to keep new generations entertained the way this traditionally would occur, then the whole thing just dies on the vine. I suggest Eaglemoss for the detail you want. That big Enterprise D electronic kit they have that you get one component at a time is really nice. Just no way I see anyone buying Junior that no matter how great a kid he is!

I’m not suggesting they make collectible grade stuff. Some of their 90s ships were spot on, like the Vorcha, Warbird, DS9, and Voyager and rugged as hell. I’m sure mine were thrown into the couch a bunch. Just thought having the oldest Enterprise as the first offering was odd. If anything, TWOK refit would make sense to go with the first figure wave, or the Disco-prise. Still the 1701 but seen on the current shows. A Discovery or Protostar would have also been a good first ship IMO.

I’m not expecting hyper accurate anything from Playmates. If it happens, great. As a kid in the 90s some of the stuff was too off the mark for me. I skipped the Excelsior, Defiant and a few others. Fingers crossed this new line makes it to a better Defiant. Hoping for a Cardassian ship too.

#97503 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by djc242 on 27 January 2022 - 01:49 AM in Playmates

The more I think about, the more I'm cool with the 5" scale. Even if it's not exactly the same as the 90's figures. I'm not sure they'll be able to make new playsets with the way things are priced these days, so the option to use the old playsets in this scale is nice. Plus, with these new figures, I don't have to have Riker and Worf ready to tackle someone while at their bridge posts. There's a Q &A on youtube, and it sounds like these will retail for around $13 per figure, which is a relief now that I'm paying $23 plus for 6" Legends, Black Series and G.I . Joe.

Here's a link to that Q&A

Thanks for sharing that! Good info. $13 is pretty reasonable I think.

Yeah, kind of odd that the TOS ship and phaser are up first. Those are clearly reaching to the ahem, senior officers out there, who by now have any number of more accurate versions. They should have started with something more recent for the new, younger fans. I would be fascinated to know how many people have watched TOS for the first time during our Years of Hell.

#97471 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by djc242 on 24 January 2022 - 03:37 PM in Playmates

Im happy they are doing a variety. Wave 2 better have some DS9! Maybe even from Lower Decks and Picard.

#97468 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by djc242 on 24 January 2022 - 01:38 PM in Playmates

So when they say 5 inches is that exact or the approximation that was used for their original run?

#97467 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by djc242 on 24 January 2022 - 12:18 PM in Playmates

Wow!

#97460 Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

Posted by djc242 on 19 January 2022 - 02:38 PM in Playmates

I want the line to be awesome but at the same time not, so I wont have to spend a bunch of money haha.

#97444 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by djc242 on 07 January 2022 - 02:37 PM in SciFi news.

Sounds like the show isn’t your cup of Earl Grey. After watching a few seasons you definitely gave it a shot. Just curious why you are still watching in season 4. It likely isn’t going to change enough to suit your taste. But if it is “hate watching” then that is some serious dedication.

#97443 Star Trek: The OTHER Animated Series announced

Posted by djc242 on 07 January 2022 - 02:33 PM in SciFi news.

Wow was episode 6 really wonderful. I hope we see more of that type of thing throughout all the new shows.

#97440 Star Trek: Discovery. Series talk and discussion

Posted by djc242 on 04 January 2022 - 06:55 PM in SciFi news.

I'm enjoying this season a lot. I feel like they are taking more time with scenes and not rushing to action all the time. They are missing something as far as characters go. My first thought is a Worf type person.

There will always be things from the first season that just don't quite fit for me. I'll file all that right alongside the ENT finale, TOS finale, TNG's "Shades of Gray," and VOY's "Threshold."

#97412 The Happy Birthday Thread!!

Posted by djc242 on 22 November 2021 - 09:24 PM in Random thoughts.

Happy Birthday WORF22 wherever you are!

#97411 Playset and Vehicle Values

Posted by djc242 on 22 November 2021 - 05:00 PM in Playmates

Just a crime you dont have pictures of that modification. Take away his replicator rations.

#97407 Status of DST's Star Trek license.

Posted by djc242 on 16 November 2021 - 11:14 AM in AA / DST

They are too busy making a Darkwing Duck figure apparently. I didnt have that on my DST excuse bingo card.

#97394 Status of DST's Star Trek license.

Posted by djc242 on 28 October 2021 - 10:05 AM in AA / DST

Hoping someone else can do the same type of ships soon.

#97389 Status of DST's Star Trek license.

Posted by djc242 on 14 October 2021 - 10:28 AM in AA / DST

Maybe someone has mentioned it all ready but the new DST website has zero Star Trek. Nothing comes up when you search either.

#97388 WIP USS Defiant 3D-print build.

Posted by djc242 on 05 October 2021 - 07:01 PM in Custom ships

Temba, his arms wide.

#97353 DST Bird of Prey Reset?

Posted by djc242 on 26 August 2021 - 07:10 PM in AA / DST

Worth it for the “double dumb ass” sound clip alone hahaha.

#97347 WIP USS Defiant 3D-print build.

Posted by djc242 on 21 August 2021 - 03:30 PM in Custom ships

Just perfect! When you are ready my wallet is at your mercy.