Photo

Star Trek game for Xbox 360 and PS3

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

I think having a futuristic looking forklift is far more believable than having some guy moving stuff with a piece of imaginary tech. It gave that scene so much life and energy, I loved that balance between high tech trek tech and normal machninery/tech, I mean not everyone has an ipad these days and no one has the kind of tech that NASA or the millitary use and since we never actually saw a loading bay of that scale at Starfleet before the 2009 movie then who's to say older versions of Star Trek wouldn't have use forklift's had they ever gone to a Starfleet hanger... They did use Work Bee's to construct or fix starships in dry dock in various Star Trek's so by your logic why not just use replicators and transporters to build starships? I think going against everything you know about Trek is a little OTT because at the end of the day the most important aspect of Star Trek are the characters and the stories, everything else is a creative decision made by the produces/directors of the day and these creative changes are not unusual for Star Trek it's just before JJ Abrams we became so used to and comfortable with 18 years of Star Trek under the same creative team. Before Berman, Star Trek looked a lot different under Bennet and Meyer AND Roddenberry so I think we need to stop the hate and embrace change.

The tech IS NOT as important as the characters in Trek and this is such a shame that fans think that - I mean for fans who think that IMO is in itself disrespectful to the importance of equality Trek pioneered in the 60's! All the tech in Trek was created as a means to save money and to move the plot along. Transporters were used instead of incurring the cost of landing the ship each week and whilst a lot of the tech is cool and has inspired others to invent real-world tech, Trek tech is there only to move the plot along - if we're going to start pulling movies and episodes apart because there happens to be a forklift in the background then man thats just so sad.

I'd actually argue that JJ Abrams Star Trek is far more blievable and intelligent in the way it uses Trek technology and focuses it better, makes it more believable than any other Star Trek before it. It was hugely clever in the way it showed us a far more believable and human Earth. The addition of a forklift, of a Nokia futuristic mobile phone, a vintage car just gave Star Trek another awesome layer.

Anyway, my eyes hurt due to playing the game a lot today, I'm really liking it! Its just cool to be playing as Kirk and Spock in this kind of video game! I think as for the future of Star Trek gaming, it may be wise for Paramount to license it out to a better developer like Rockstar? They could do a really AWESOME GTA type game for Star Trek (all be it Star Trek in tone, I don't mean Kirk killing hookers and pimps) based on exploration and I guess in free roam mode you could potentially go rouge if the player wanted to do that.

I mean it could be called "Star Trek: Five Year Mission", playing as Kirk and you could start out in the 2009 move storyline and it could then go through some of the stories told in the comic books, then Into Darkness and then beyond. This kind of game would be vast in scale too because rather than driving round the streets of Liberty City, you pilot/captain the Enterprise across the galaxy meeting aliens like Gorn, Klingons...

#22 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

That binder thing's hilarious, but hey - it made for a good prop! 

1701, my problem with the forklift is just that it goes against everything I know about Star Trek. If we were talking about Aliens/Prometheus, or even Star Wars, then I'd accept it without question as it'd either be a perfect fit for those universes, or be a quirky gimmick (as in, "hey, a forklift!"). But here, in a universe where in previous films/TV shows, we've seen tractor beams and anti-gravity trolleys/carts/medical beds, it stands out to me. They're trying to put across that the area they're in is a 'loading bay', and obviously a forklift helps that along to no end. The only thing is, in previous Star Trek's, that would've been a guy using Star Trek's technology to move those cargo containers, and even if it was just a background scene, it would've been a stand-out little moment of "Whoa, a tractor beam placing a container onto a floating thingy so that guy can push it - cool!"

Forget all my criticism of the new films generally, as that's not influencing me here (honestly). This is a bit of an error in my opinion - a small one, but still just plain odd. Also, regards your why fix it comment, I'd argue against that is this is Star Trek - the show where the technology is as-big a character as any of the crew. And they don't use money, so there's no excuse not to use the tech (which is much safer than a forklift). :P :)

I would also bring up filming part of the ship at a Budweiser plant. I have more of a issue with that then the forklift.

#23 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Destructoid and IGN gave the game very bad reviews.  They all said they were huge Trek fans as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users