• Please log in to reply
1901 replies to this topic

#1721 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

If the promo's are similar in quality to Discovery than I don't see any issues. 

#1722 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Someone on a forum I visit posted this screen capture of a program that is available on CBS All Access:

https://i.imgur.com/FjIalL2.jpg

If the image quality really is that bad, then for the people that want to watch this in the US, you have my sympathies as that's just horrendous.

I read somewhere that some have had problems with the app, but I haven't seen any problems with the Xbox one app so it may depend on what device your using, and maybe router settings.

#1723 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

Maybe I should raise my offer from a Sawbuck to a Grant!

I guess I'd have to go big... like a C note...

cause even then... my money would be safe!

CBS also announced that All Access has had the best week and month ever for sign-ups due to the launch Star Trek: Discovery in addition to their other content, including the fall kick-off of NFL on CBS.

#1724 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

I guess I'd have to go big... like a C note...

cause even then... my money would be safe!

Be interesting to see how it looks next month when those that didn't like Discovery ditch the service.

#1725 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

Be interesting to see how it looks next month when those who keep reading about what they're missing finally subscribe.

#1726 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

I think the show will do well. As MrPL said, it's more likely that fans curious about the good buzz surrounding the series will prompt them signing up.

This vastly different take on Star Trek has got me thinking though... has Star Trek succeeded where Star Wars has failed?

Comparisons between the two have always been a fun thing to mull over but I'm wondering that while Star Wars is perhaps more recognisable and "popular", have Lucasfilm failed to develop Star Wars the way CBS seem to be pushing Star Trek?

It's not pleased all the fans pushing Star Trek into a new era but it has garnered fresh interest, I just wonder if this sort of free form, canon/continuity flexibility is something good rather than it being very strict like Star Wars where everything has to tie into everything else.

I do wonder if when all is said and done, as a body of work that reflects the world we live in rather than something that is so restrictied by its own continuity, is something to be pretty happy about. After all Star Trek is about the message it sends out to people today, making us think about issues surrounding race, equality, sexuality etc... rather than ensuring the ships and sets all look like they did 50 years ago.

#1727 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

This vastly different take on Star Trek has got me thinking though... has Star Trek succeeded where Star Wars has failed?

Where exactly has Star Wars failed compared to Star Trek?

Lucas was always reluctant to put Star Wars on TV because he didn't want it turning into Star Trek but that didn't keep him from producing Star Wars TV films or the acclaimed animated series The Clone Wars. Disney followed that up with Rebels, featuring a new cast of characters with cameos from film characters. Rogue One proved they could do the same successfully with a live-action feature film. Even Star Wars had Quark and Spaceballs long before Trek had Galaxy Quest and The Orville.

So I'm a little unclear where Star Wars has failed, especially when it was Lucas' success at the box office that convinced Paramount's execs to turn Phase II into TMP.

#1728 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

I got a sawbuck that says CBS reports that Discovery meets or exceeds its fiscal projections... anyone that wants to take me up on that... I'll give you even odds. I'll make that bet because almost every casual fan I know has said the same thing... "That looks good... I may sign up". Only old die-hard Dinos are poo-pooing it. 

I still got that sawbuck offer up... I predict that Discovery will do what CBS All Access wants from it... and I'll put my money where my mouth is. 

Maybe I should raise my offer from a Sawbuck to a Grant!

As predicted!

“In just six episodes, ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ has driven subscriber growth, critical acclaim and huge global fan interest for the first premium version of this great franchise,” Marc DeBevoise, President and Chief Operating Officer, CBS Interactive, said in a statement. 

Since none of the naysayers had the moxy to backup their conviction I guess I don't make any cash...

I'll give odds for next seasons "success" ... I'll pay 3 to your 1! 

#1729 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

I wouldn't think that they would say anything other than something positive about the show. Most business's ignore anything contrary to their vision. I don't imagine they mentioned anything about how many people cancelled their subscriptions to AA , after initially subscribing to see the pilot.

#1730 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Yeah, it's not like a Star Trek series has ever been canceled before.  :lol:

(Oh, and it's "businesses," not that a moron would know that.  :P  ;) )

#1731 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

You talking to the "Voices" MisterPL?? 

... I'll give better odds to cojoneless haters... but they are gonna have to put up at least a C-Note... and they have to use my escrow service... just PM me for details!  :music-smiley-026:

#1732 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Yeah, it's not like a Star Trek series has ever been canceled before.  :lol:

(Oh, and it's "businesses," not that a moron would know that.  :P  ;) )

Autocorrect is also a moron.

#1733 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

I think The Orville is a show that would have benefitted more from being on Netflix or another streaming service. I think really and truly, if you look at the way TV is headed, a lot of shows like The Orville such as Star Trek, Stranger Things etc.. are hugely popular on streaming services - in the Uk, every single Trek series from TOS to ENT is consistently trending and popular. Theres a massive audience out there for more Star Trek stories. Stories that are made for streaming because thats how more and more of us are choosing to watch TV.

Even if Fox cancel Orville, it may have a future on a streaming service if there is a fan base there for it. I dont know if there is or not, Id guess not.

I think the success of Discovery has actually surprised CBS. I think with all the turmoil surrounding production, they were expecting a train wreck. Discovery isnt that but I think theres a lot of us who are watching it because its the first Star Trek series in 12 years. Now, its fortunate that the stories and characters have been compelling enough to keep most fans watching but I think the real test of Star Treks continued success will be in how well the studio can deliver a second season.

Season 2 has to offer fans something a lot closer to what we loved about Star Trek, in tone, look and story. It kind of has to be a revival rather than a reimagining of the universe in the way that Discovery has clearly tried to do visually. A season 2 if set in the same time period as season 1, has to instantly be recognisable as being from that TOS period.

Do we think though that this will be a straight forward second season for the cast we currently have. The original idea pitched by Fuller was for an Anthology series that spanned the Star Trek timeline. It could be that this 15 Episode story ends and a new cast and crew and period are chosen for season 2.

Regardless. For S2, Id expect a lot of changes in front of and especially behind the camera, as the studio looks to make it for less money. I mean what show needs 19 executive producers.

I think what we will see in between Discovery and Season 2 is Nicholas Meyers Khan mini-series.

As for the Orville. Ive yet to see an episode of it but to me it sounds like its headed towards cancellation and if true, that would not be a surprise. The type of show it is just screams a one hit wonder.

#1734 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

I'm thinking Season 2 of Discovery will keep the same cast, depending on how things shake out.

Producers have already stated that've found a story they want to explore for the season and it was inspired about halfway through the first so it's unlikely things will shake up too much in that regard. Given how long it takes to produce 15 episodes it may jump forward in the timeline a bit but given how much Netflix has already spent launching this show, I'm sure they're looking forward to leveraging those investments going forward.

As for another series, I won't be surprised at all if CBS announces another Trek series to whet appetites and perhaps lure in a different crowd in the meantime. Who pays for it will be another question. 

#1735 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

There's no reason why they can't have multiple shows in production. They just have to be smart about how they release them.

#1736 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Like The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead, I'd imagine. Then again they could CSI the shit out of it.

#1737 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

There was a rumour ages ago that CBS had the idea of doing multiple Star Trek shows that were based on different ships and that would follow the model of CSI... one ship would be solely goingnout solving intergalactic crime cases, another would be a medical ship and so on...

#1738 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

There was a rumour ages ago that CBS had the idea of doing multiple Star Trek shows that were based on different ships and that would follow the model of CSI... one ship would be solely goingnout solving intergalactic crime cases, another would be a medical ship and so on...

I remember this. Still not the Star Trek I would want, but sounds better than what we have now. I would give it a shot. Maybe a little something for everyone?

#1739 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

I remember this. Still not the Star Trek I would want, but sounds better than what we have now. I would give it a shot. Maybe a little something for everyone?

Yeah Im not sure Id want so many Star Trek CSI rip offs.

Id quite like to see a show set in the future (post Voyager etc...) onboard a new Enterprise. Everything has changed and evolved from Voyager and Countdown. Romulus has gone and the Romulan Empire has been torn apart and has thrown the remaining Romulan people into becoming refugees. How does Starfleet and the Federation deal with such a catastrophe.

Id like to see cameos from the cast of TNG, DS9 and VGR and maybe some recurring roles for some of the characters.

Mainly though this would be a show about a completely new crew onboard a completely new Enterprise and each episode or two part episodes or how ever many episodes it takes to tell the story the writers want to tell... delves into a specific problem; social, criminal investigation, racial, medical, and each story would be focused on one of our main cast members.

Lets have a Klingon and a Romulan on the bridge, lets see Nog as an officer.

And lets see it set at the dawn of a new century.

As for the look... familiar yet different. Id want to bring back Mike and Denise Okuda, Doug Drexler and many of the behind the scenes people who had worked on TNG/DS9/VOY to keep the continuity there.

For writing staff Id like to pick the best science fiction writers of our modern age to craft interesting and mind bending stories for a future yet to be seen.

Fresh blood is also good to have onboard but fresh blood that intimately understand and know Star Trek.

Id like to see a show that knows what it is, doesnt try too hard to be something else but is also bold and distinctive, something that moves the timeline forward and doesnt contradict or confuse its own continuity by trying to reinvent itself because thats the cool thing to do these days.

A new Trek show that is a revival not a reimagining.

#1740 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

A new Trek show that is a revival not a reimagining.

I know many fans are asking for this... and I'd certainly watch something like that... but as much as I want to say The Orville isn't Trek... I have to capitulate and say the format and theme is exactly a revival of TNG.... inso much that its an episodic sci-fi show that puts forth very pertinent social issues while portraying a bright and optimistic future. 

If it fails... then... just like the last episode... I have believe the mob voted that they don't want that. The only thing it doesn't have is the brand name behind it. If it does succeed... well then Macfarlane and Fox have shown they have more cojones then CBS... and CBS should pay attention!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: star, trek, cbs, 2017, series

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users