Photo

What Is Your Most Valuable Playmates Item?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Frontier

Frontier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

So what is your most valuable Playmates (Trek) item? Economic wise, not sentiment, I'm afraid. Heh.

Mine would have to be my MOMC "Redemption" Data. Though we all know that Data really wore red in "Chains of Command" and not "Redemption"... wink.gif

My "Red" Data happens to be collectors number 000059. biggrin.gif No, it is NOT for sale! tongue.gif Well, for $1 million dollars, maybe!

I hope to some day have Brent Spiner autograph it.

I have a MOMC LIEUTENANT William Riker figure signed by Jonathan Frakes.

How About You?

#2 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

This is the Playmates Dathon. This figure came with the "Pog or Space cap" as they were called rather then the card that was with the more common one. This version was released only in Australia and the UK and reportedly there were only (1,100). The resource guide at http://www.newforcecomics.com/trekref says that 700 went to the UK and 400 to AU. I looked for 3 years to find one I could afford and ( i guess that I could have missed one) I have never seen for sale on Ebay.

#3 Trek Forever

Trek Forever

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:46 PM

Now that's one I would not have thought of as being rare. So, it's the Pog that makes it so rare?

#4 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(Trek Forever @ Aug 16 2008, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now that's one I would not have thought of as being rare. So, it's the Pog that makes it so rare?

I wish I new what my most rare item is...I just don't keep track of that stuff.

#5 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:26 AM

Crossroads of Time Sisko. Behind that Trials and Tribbleations MOC O'Brien.

#6 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:11 AM

ok I have stuff that I should add I guess but across the lines I think this covers most of them. New Forces Red Shirt Data for example, should be added.

http://www.trektoy.com/rare.htm

#7 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 16 2008, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the Playmates Dathon. This figure came with the "Pog or Space cap" as they were called rather then the card that was with the more common one. This version was released only in Australia and the UK and reportedly there were only (1,100). The resource guide at http://www.newforcecomics.com/trekref says that 700 went to the UK and 400 to AU. I looked for 3 years to find one I could afford and ( i guess that I could have missed one) I have never seen for sale on Ebay.

How much is a figure worth with a space cap card?

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:24 AM

well prices are down across the board for all trek collectibles with a few exceptions, the MR TOS Phaser comes to mind. but at one time I think that Rick at New Force Comics was paying around $1,000 to buy them. There are more rare ones by number produced, like the Tri Fold Borg, but I have found in my experience no other figure made by Playmates is as hard to find.

#9 Frontier

Frontier

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

Going to have to take a look at my Dathon.

#10 Trek Forever

Trek Forever

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

Good luck with that. LOL That's the first one that I've ever seen with a pog. FHC can I ask how much you paid for it?

#11 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

I have the Lwaxana and Sarek figures that came with a pog (rather than a card). If memory serves, only about 1000 of each one were released, and only here in Canada at that.

Wouldn't you know, I had no idea how rare they were when I first got them, and I opened them for display. Years later, when I learned what I'd done, I picked up the "mainstream" version of each for display, and I put the originals in storage. They're now tucked away safely, complete with their pogs, but likely valuable only to pog collectors!

I believe it was the same day I picked up the "pogged" Lwaxana & Sarek figures that I saw Red Data and Yellow Riker in-store. I was getting so frustrated with the repaints by that point, though, that I passed them up. Sigh. I managed to find a Yellow Riker years later (which I've left in its package!), but Red Data still eludes me.

It took me a while to find Esoqq. I left him in package when I finally did, 'cause he cost me $75 Canadian at the time.

Given that the bulk of my collection is out-of-package and on display, I'd say my most valuable item is the sheer breadth of my collection. ;-) I'm also proud of the customized figures I made to round out several of the subsets that were never completed (such as the complete TOS movie crew, Season 1 Beverly & Deanna, Season 4 DS9 crew, and Season 7 Janeway) or chase figures that were easier and cheaper to just head-swap on my own (such as T&T O'Brien and TNG Uniform Sisko).

Only a few of the 4.5" figures still elude me: Intendant Kira; Target's TNG movie figures of Riker, Deanna, and Data; and Tholian Web Spock and some of the other (US-only) mail-aways.

#12 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Trek Forever @ Aug 17 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good luck with that. LOL That's the first one that I've ever seen with a pog. FHC can I ask how much you paid for it?

Yeah you can ask. smile.gif

#13 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:51 PM

I've got the 1701 Picard. That's probably my most valuable Playmates item.

#14 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

Is the Excelsior and Klingon Bird of Prey still worth money? I have them both but they are out of the box. I also have the Defiant and Voyager which still fetch a pretty decent price.

#15 stardust

stardust

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(pickard @ Aug 17 2008, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got the 1701 Picard. That's probably my most valuable Playmates item.

When I first heard of these figures I was really worried but a lot of phone calls allowed me to end up with 4 1701 Picards, 2 Yars and 4 Barclays. I found the first 1701 Picard at a local comic shoppe. I went in one day and asked this guy who really knew nothing of Trek/toys and was just working part-time and he pulled out the Picard. I couldn't believe my eyes and then I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. But he went to the register and said 10.81 is your total. I couldn't believe it.

The next day the owner called to tell me that the clerk screwed up and wasn't suppose to put the figure out and certainly not for 11 bucks. He told me there was nothing he could do once it sold but he requested that I not come back to his shop. I thought that was a poor way to handle it. It wasn't my fault but oh well. The other three Picards I got through Spencer's Gifts. I knew back then in my part of the country they got their weekly shipments on Tuesdays so I got a listing of like 50 stores and when my local store got a case in(which never had the 1701 figures) I just started calling and that way I increased the number of cases and odds of getting one. I lucked out and got three.

I haven't shopped Spencers in years but back then the stores could ship items from one store to another without charging me for shipping. Jerry would call me and I'd go down and pick them up. I managed to also get two Yars this way and Mara Hart at Playmates customer service was kind enough to send me the yellow 1701 stickers that were left off the Yars because of collectors complaining the stickers tipped off scalpers and those who worked at the stores. I got three Barclays this way and lucked upon one at my local Service Merchandise.

To this day those figures were the hardest to get. I guess the only other figures that are as difficult and as rewarding when you come across them are the Batman Dark Knight Movie Masters Unmasked Batman and Fear Toxin Batman. I had forgotten the hassel given that for the last decade or so I've collected stuff that was readily accessible online saving the trouble of the toy hunt. However the Batman stuff has me going to my stores and in the case of Wal-Mart at 3 in the morning when the stockers are putting up stuff. Luckily, last night I found the Unmasked chase but I had to go through about 60 cases to find it.

So I have to say the 1701 series.

#16 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 17 2008, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well prices are down across the board for all trek collectibles with a few exceptions, the MR TOS Phaser comes to mind. but at one time I think that Rick at New Force Comics was paying around $1,000 to buy them. There are more rare ones by number produced, like the Tri Fold Borg, but I have found in my experience no other figure made by Playmates is as hard to find.

How rare is the Hunter of Tosk with a space cap card?

#17 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

I think the Playmates Voyager, because of the cost I paid for it at the time. I've been too frightened to look on eBay for it lately, for fear of the price dropping.

#18 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE(Trek Forever @ Aug 17 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well rare / what something is worth, implies that it not only is hard to find but that you and others consider it worth finding. As I said before, Rick at New Force Comics, I do believe that I remember him saying, at one time, buying them for $1,000 / $1,100 dollars. Of course he is a dealer and was looking to resale them I'm sure, what he got for one was more. After prices stared to drop on all things Trek ( I had picked up my third Thomas Riker for $50 and a Red Shirt Data for about the same money) I contacted him and asked if he had one and he said that he did. If I remember right at the time he quoted me $600 / $650 and I could get a carded Mego Romulan for about $300. I decided to dig deep (after a discussion with my wife) and buy it, but by the time i did, it was gone. In the end I looked 3 years and found this one

for less then what I would have paid for the one from NFC thanks to the market dropping even more. You guys might find this funny. The gentleman that I bought it from thought is was so rare that he had that case it is lived it's life in, hand made (shown above). I had to fill out a small questioner before he would agree to close the deal. He would only ship by DHL as they have the lowest damages in shipping record, but they are not cheap. I bought an extra Playmates Voyager for less then I paid to have this thing shipped.

I would not trade it for a carded Mego Romulan. I have yet to see one on Ebay in the years that I have looked and I have looked. If I see one I will be bidding on it. I think that one of the reasons it might be so rare is that unlike the 1701's, no one knew that only 1,100 were made with the pog instead of the card and people just opened them. Only a mint on card guy like me would have kept it intact. Remember that was back in the dark ages before everyone had internet!! Groups like Playtrek were forming on yahoo groups before message boards were around. If this fellow were released today, we would all know about the pog one VS the card one, and he would not be rare at all I think. What is a Dathon with a Pog worth? I have no idea but I'll bet that with money being no object, I can find a Mego Romulan on the card faster (heck maybe two of them) then I can find one of these. In my case I had to know someone that knew someone. Heck you have to have gone collector crazy to even know he's rare!!! I consider the Dothon with a Pog the crown jewel of my collection and he is only one of two figures that I do not display. The other being my Trifold Borg. They only made 500 of the Trifold Borgs and they were given away to promote First Contact and TNG going into syndication. That was another one that I had to know someone that knew someone. But, even the Trifold Borgs can be found on ebay.

LOL how this for complete, count the Thomas Rikers on this page from my website

http://www.trektoy.com/r.htm

QUOTE(TrekCollector01 @ Aug 17 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How rare is the Hunter of Tosk with a space cap card?

I would say that $5.00 to $10.00 sounds fair to me. I would bet there are more then a few on Ebay at the moment. You might even get it for a buck plus shipping so an outright sale to someone would be around $5.00 to $10.00. Like you sold one to the guy next door. If you want one I think I have a few extras.

QUOTE(Frontier @ Aug 16 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what is your most valuable Playmates (Trek) item? Economic wise, not sentiment, I'm afraid. Heh.

Mine would have to be my MOMC "Redemption" Data. Though we all know that Data really wore red in "Chains of Command" and not "Redemption"... wink.gif

My "Red" Data happens to be collectors number 000059. biggrin.gif No, it is NOT for sale! tongue.gif Well, for $1 million dollars, maybe!

I hope to some day have Brent Spiner autograph it.

I have a MOMC LIEUTENANT William Riker figure signed by Jonathan Frakes.

How About You?

I have both the US version and the Canada version. Did you know that the Red Data was not intended to be rare? This was part of a 4 pack released through J.C.Penney in their Christmas catalog. In order to fill the order, Playmates made this figure from spare parts to get them done in time to fill the Penny's Christmas order. However, Playmates switched gears right after this and started making the new figures for Generations and never got back to this one. Oh Yes old Data there is a spare parts boy right out of the parts bin. At one time I could tell you were all the parts came from, and I bet I still can, if I go get one of mine and look at him for awhile. Note the chest and the arms are not the same shade of Red. Guess I would remember better but I seldom get to get into a Playmates discussion anymore!! Everyone wants to talk DST!! LOL

Oh and for you younger members, he makes note of the low number of the figure above. There was a time that people paid more money for a figure if the number on the bottom of the foot was less then 100. I never really know why but we paid more for them and sold them for more. The only real figure that it really meant something to was

the ones made numbered under 2000 had a design defect and if you try to play with it, the head will very likely fall off. I have one numbered 119.

#19 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(stardust @ Aug 17 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I first heard of these figures I was really worried but a lot of phone calls allowed me to end up with 4 1701 Picards, 2 Yars and 4 Barclays. I found the first 1701 Picard at a local comic shoppe. I went in one day and asked this guy who really knew nothing of Trek/toys and was just working part-time and he pulled out the Picard. I couldn't believe my eyes and then I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. But he went to the register and said 10.81 is your total. I couldn't believe it.

The next day the owner called to tell me that the clerk screwed up and wasn't suppose to put the figure out and certainly not for 11 bucks. He told me there was nothing he could do once it sold but he requested that I not come back to his shop. I thought that was a poor way to handle it.

So I have to say the 1701 series.

Wow. That was an awful way for the owner to handle it.

I found my Picard on the shelf at a local Bradlee's (a defunct department store in New England). At the time, I had no idea of its value. I'm normally an opener, but I was late for work, so the figure stayed MOC after I left the store. I found out on the Internet a few hours later what I had stumbled upon and put it away in a safe place.

#20 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

the ones made numbered under 2000 had a design defect and if you try to play with it, the head will very likely fall off. I have one numbered 119.
[/quote]

Then I suppose my rarest figure would be my Deanna Troi figure. She is numbered at 1725.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users