6 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

Chekov

Here's an unpainted test shot of 7-inch Chekov figure. Here you can see the different base plastics used: the body is molded from a color that's used for the uniform (so that it doesn't have to be sprayed), while the head is molded from a neutral plastic color that can be sprayed.

The production version of Chekov turned out really well, though one can't really see the facial features here.

chekov.jpg

#2 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:14 PM

Scotty

Here's an unpainted test shot of Scotty. I think the production figure turned out just okay: his jaw is a little too big and his hair sits a little flat.

The hairline is also perhaps a little too even, which is an issue with all the Art Asylum figures perhaps. There aren't any hair strands or something like that, so that it looks like it's been gelled down. This is a common issue with a lot of sculpts of the era though, the hair being too neat and not having enough texture.

scotty.jpg

#3 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

Mirror Spock

This one came out pretty well in the production version, though one thing that I can't shake with all the Art Asylum figure of the time is that the shoulders look too narrow in proportion to the head and the heads themselves are large in proportion to the body, which is something that Pmates did a lot as well.

spock.jpg

#4 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:27 PM

Kor

This is probably one of the best sculpts of this release when it comes to likeness and proportions, and the painted details on the production figure turned out great as well. Of course, one can't really see it on the test shot.

kor.jpg

#5 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 06:46 AM

Only proto I have is a grey painted Nemesis Crusher (with the correct hairpiece...unused due to a factory mix-up)

9KKNytl.jpg

Proto vs final

ZfiHGr3.jpg

#6 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:10 AM

Hah, the prototype hair color and shape are far more realistic. Very cool figure.

#7 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 02:28 PM

Shran

Here's a test shot of the Art Asylum Shran figure. What's interesting about the production version of the figure in general is that... it doesn't really look like Shran. Instead, it looks like a generic and somewhat angry Andorian. But not really Shran. There is some resemblance there, but the sculptors went a little heavy on the eyebrows and forehead -- he's almost got a Romulan forehead.

Also, he doesn't really have Jeffrey Combs' upper body -- the shoulders are too wide. Combs is not really built like that.

shran.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users