Photo

Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek (Nerdist Presents)

quentin tarantino trek

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

At first I rolled my eyes at the concept of a Tarantino Trek movie.... but if you think about it for half a minute, almost every Trek series either had a western episode or/or a WWII-era episode that somehow dealt with the nazis. Many had multiples. Even ENT, bless its heart, somehow managed to squeeze out both categories in its short run. Perhaps that's why Tarantino was attracted to the concept of doing a Trek movie.

Original Star Trek had a lot of bombastic monologues, two-party conflicts, and foes with opposing ideologies. In the very stereotypical TOS episode Kirk and Spock beamed down to some planet, verbally confronted an over-the-top villain, and either talked the villain down or blasted him when they couldn't reason with him.

With 1960s-era Shatner not available, it'll be interesting to hear what Tarantino comes up with and if it'll get made. But in this clip it's remarkable to see how easily TOS footage lends itself to Tarantino's tropes.

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

Thats hilarious! but on a serious note...a lot of TV Trek is Dialog and QT loves the dialog... it just might be a match made in heaven!

#3 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

That's what I suspect might have gotten him interested: the very lengthy dialogues between Shatner, Nimoy and the villain-of-the-week. His writing style seemed to be very suited to that kind of back and forth.

A huge, huge portion of Tarantino set pieces are dialogues between enemies trying to arrange a truce.

#4 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

This movie could be the Star Trek IV of the Kelvinverse.

#5 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

This movie could be the Star Trek IV of the Kelvinverse.

Hah. 

Spock says "hell". 

Data says "shit". 

Nu-spock says "f**k my f**kin Vulcan a$$ with a rusty f**kin lirpa you father-f**kin Klingon bastard!" <neck pinch>

#6 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

Besides the pioneering stories and casting, Star Trek was Wagon Train...

Tarantino does westerns very very well and as long as the story has a good moral grounding to it and it isnt just a bad guy out for vengeance again... I mean Tarantino doesnt really do that either... then yeah this should be a fucking great movie.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:01 AM

I know we all know the history... but just out of curiosity... has anyone ever seen an episode of Wagon Train? I have channel (called "grit") that all it does is show old western Movies and TV shows... it has shows like death valley days, Zane Grey Theater and others, but I've never actually seen an episode of Wagon Train.

#8 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

Neeever seen a full episode of wagon train but from the bits I have seen, there are some clear similarities in it and Star Trek TOS.

I mean Star Trek was very similar to any western really. The frontier of space rather than the Wild West frontier. Besides the social and cultural impact of Star Trek, the adventure of it was very much following the same format of a western. Kirk was a cowboy. The Enterprise was his wagon and each week theyd visit a new frontier town.

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

Well... I don't know if I'd say it was similar to *any* western... especially when you start looking at Westerns like Unforgiven or Cimarron. Not so sure its even like something like Death Valley Days... Death Valley Days ran for 15 years on radio then another 18 years on TV! That was one of the original Anthology shows.

So thats why I was asking... I've never seen an episode of it... from your description, I could say its like Route 66 too! On that show every week the star visits a different place on Route 66 and has some issue that must be resolved.

#10 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:07 AM

Does this allay any concerns about Tarantino's potential Trek being too vulgar for fans?

http://sciencefictio...sarily-r-rated/

#11 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

Itll be a movie based on the City on the Edge of Forever

#12 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:48 AM

If they want to keep the budget down, they'll pull a "City on the Edge of Forever" and either shoot on location or use that backlot. And stop reinventing the wheel with new Starfleet uniforms every friggin' movie!

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

One of the best things about the TOS movies, is once they settled on the TWOK Uni's is they kept them. Still love that Uni, and had they retconned JJ verse to just those I would not have complained. But yeah even every JJ movie seems like they feel the need to tweak the uniforms. 

I think I'd be ok with a city on the edge of forever concept.. .but please don't try and copy outright the original... I'll just say that as the original had political ramifications, I think they could do an update for modern times, but it would be a huge risk financially as you sure to alienate large segments no matter which side of the spectrum you land... which is why Trek often works better on TV as you can move past that and only piss off people for 1 episode.   

#14 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

http://sciencefictio...tar-trek-movie/

I'm okay with this.

#15 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Id have no issue with more Kelvin movies.

They really seemed to find their groove in Beyond as far as characterization, and would love to see more of them.

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

I think I'd actually laugh my butt off if they did a city on the edge of forever with the kelvin crew and then retconned all of JJ's changes right out! Then presto were back to the original Trek-verse. 

#17 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:55 AM

[science nerd]

That's not how it works!  :P 

[/science nerd]

Whenever they messed with time, a new timeline was created. We just didn't necessarily realize it because the cast stayed the same.

What would be hilarious is if time travel became the method Paramount uses to recast roles. "Hey, Chekov! You're looking... huskier."

#18 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

What would be hilarious is if time travel became the method Paramount uses to recast roles. "Hey, Chekov! You're looking... huskier."

I have had my fill of time travel and parallel universes and doppelgangers. I really hope the writers leave these tropes alone for a while. Need a new "chekov"? Bring back Jaylah. She earned it. :)

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:50 PM

I hear you Damon1984, though trek has a lot of time travel...

#20 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:10 AM

https://www.cbr.com/...hy-away-horror/

Okay, who wants gore?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quentin, tarantino, trek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users