Photo

Other action figure lines that are compatable with Playmates?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

I'm pretty sure it will fit, but I'd like to check with my Powerloader, just to see for myself.

I don't know how close the Playset bridge is to TWOK, but if I did do it with the case design, but I would keep the same layout but attempt to have the TOS consoles and seats. It'd probably be easier just to do the playset like how they they did the TNG bridge (full bridge replica with sections that can be removed). But like I said, the case sounds like an interesting idea to do (though hopefully not the same as the Mego bridge). The corridor idea you have sounds pretty awesome, and may work well for displaying. I don't know why, but once I considered making a turbo lift to attach to the TNG bridge playset. But the I thought, "Why think of doing that?"

Great minds think alike. :). I have a glass case I picked up on the cheap to use as the mockup for the torpedo. For the Borg alcove, I do have a few bits ad pieces from car kits I can use for detailing work, and I imagined making the alcove modular so that if I decided to make more than one alcove, it could connect together (be it side-by-side or stacking one on top of the other). I've got a lot of sheet styrene I can use for both projects.

#22 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

New update: Just confirmed two things.  The first is that the Jurassic Park action figures are almost the same size as the Aliens figures.  Below is a picture of the Powerloader, Alan Grant from the JP line, Picard and Ripley.

IMG_1621.jpg

The second thing I've confirmed is rather simple: Per your suggestion, Picard looks good fighting the Borg in the Powerloader.  This definitely confirms that Aliens vehicles can be used with the ST figures.

IMG_1620.jpg

I've also checked out the size comparison with the John Conner from the T2 line.  He is in the same scale as Alan Grant is.

IMG_1622.jpg

#23 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

I agree with you there, though If I could make one playset, I'd probably be either the TOS bridge, as discussed, or the Defiant's bridge, and ideally I'd do it the same way the TNG bridge is. Thanks about the corridors! 

I personally don't think a turbolift isn't such a bad idea. I've been thinking a round container with the side cut out, painted and changed, and propped up on some plastic bricks might make a nice background "prop" for my bridge photos.

Haha, what a coincidence! Logical, regarding the Borg alcoves. I'd got bits off washing machines and lawn mowers in mine, with some black foam and plastic boarding, but your car parts sound much better. 

Fantastic pictures! Picard smashing the Borg to bits, great photo! I can think of some great uses for the Jurassic Park figs, thanks for that! Really appreciated. 

#24 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:21 PM

The bridge of any ship is always a challenge. But I'll admit, I've seen two people scratchbuild the TOS bridge. One was out of styrene plastic, the other using foamcore board and other materials from a dollar store. I know of one person working on the brige from Enterprise. All of them were for displaying the AA/DS figures. I wish you the best of luck if you decide to go for it. And you're very much welcome about the corridors. I mean, they're just as iconic as the rest of the other parts of the ships. :)

I've thought about scratch building the turbo lift out of the large quantity, bulk pain reliever containers, but them realized they may not be as big. Definite like your idea about having it open on the side so you could get figures in and out that way. May have to see what other plastic cylinders are out there that can be used.

Thanks. Using the unused car model parts would also stick to Trek tradition, IMO (especially since the Borg Cube models were made from parts trees for plastic car models, sometimes with the parts still attached). :)

I should point out that for the Jurassic Park figures, there's a couple of them that have a high collar (the Alan Hrant figure pictured has one), which means that they don't have a neck like some of the other figures in the line. Most of them do have a neck, so swapping the heads with Trek figures in uniforms could still be possible.

And thank you. I'm glad you like the picture of Picard in the Powerloader. ::D

#25 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for your support! It'll be years before I undertake such a huge project, but, it's something I'd like to do. I thought so too! The empty corridors in SFS if I remember correctly, that almost militaristic look always stuck with me, it reminded me of the decks in a modern, or then modern Navy vessel.

Yes, size is something I'd have a problem with too. My main idea would be to buy a plastic sweets/chocolate container, maybe have the flashing lights in the back for the "Turbolift effect"? It's something I think I might be able to do with what I have at hand, a "starter kit" of sorts.

I 100% agree with you. I never knew that about the Borg models, the outer shell reminded of my old Airfix models, seems it kind of was! I actually have a book coming by Michael Westmore, "Aliens and Artefacts". It says "how to make your own props and makeup from household items". I bought it because I'm increasingly adding "alien makeup" to my Playmates figure customs, but now the props side is becoming even more appealing, maybe even useful for what we're discussing.

Thanks for that info. My idea was to perhaps have some of the crew in casual's, like the Voyager crew from "Future's End" using some of the Jurassic Park figs.

I just discovered a "Jurassic Park Command Compound". Now knowing they are pretty much the same size of the Playmates guys, it seems to me it would make a good "research outpost" with some modifications for some Starfleet redshirts.

#26 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for your support! It'll be years before I undertake such a huge project, but, it's something I'd like to do. I thought so too! The empty corridors in SFS if I remember correctly, that almost militaristic look always stuck with me, it reminded me of the decks in a modern, or then modern Navy vessel.

Yes, size is something I'd have a problem with too. My main idea would be to buy a plastic sweets/chocolate container, maybe have the flashing lights in the back for the "Turbolift effect"? It's something I think I might be able to do with what I have at hand, a "starter kit" of sorts.

I 100% agree with you. I never knew that about the Borg models, the outer shell reminded of my old Airfix models, seems it kind of was! I actually have a book coming by Michael Westmore, "Aliens and Artefacts". It says "how to make your own props and makeup from household items". I bought it because I'm increasingly adding "alien makeup" to my Playmates figure customs, but now the props side is becoming even more appealing, maybe even useful for what we're discussing.

Thanks for that info. My idea was to perhaps have some of the crew in casual's, like the Voyager crew from "Future's End" using some of the Jurassic Park figs.

I just discovered a "Jurassic Park Command Compound". Now knowing they are pretty much the same size of the Playmates guys, it seems to me it would make a good "research outpost" with some modifications for some Starfleet redshirts.

You're very much welcome.  If you like I can post the links to the AA/DS TOS bridge builds I've seen over at the Replica Prop Forum if you like (there's even one 1:18th scale bridge someone is working on to fit the 1:18th scale Abrams ST movie figures).  Let me know if you want to check them out.

The Turbolift effect definitely sounds like something interesting to replicate, even for the Playmates scale.  Me, I'd probably do a simplistic version of the Turbolift myself, maybe do basic overhead lighting with a string of LED lights I've seen for sale at Hobby Lobby if I went with that.  But your idea for the Turbolift effect sounds like it'd be awesome for displaying.  :D

Well, I was partly right about the Borg Cube.  It turns out that one of the models, a two-foot breakaway model used for the finale of "The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2", was actually constructed from the sprue trees for various model kits (basically, its a model that was blown up).  But various sources have stated that there were other models that used the sprues from what I've read, the production department recycling them from model kits used to kit bash various spacecraft models together.  But if you think that's interesting, you may be interested to know that the shows actually used Playmates toys in their productions. In fact, Deep Space Nine used a few of the TNG vehicle toys for some of their exploding effects.  That "Aliens and Artifacts" book sounds like something I may have to check out too. 

Well, you could probably use the Alan Grant body for Tom's casual outfit from that two-parter (will require a lot of sanding and some sculpting).  I don't know if there's any female bodies, except for Ellie, that can be modified to make Janeway's white suit from the episode.  But at least with the figures, it does give you more options than with the Playmates line by itself.

Yeah, that's the playset that came out. But be careful with those redshirts.  You don't want someone to shut the fence off, in the rain.  :D

#27 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Somewhere I've got links of an Enterprise A bridge being built. It was never finished, but it was interesting to see the evolution from paper to design, but I've certainly not seen any of those you mentioned. That'd be fantastic!   

Thanks! I never knew that about the cube, or Playmates! I'd heard about the Borg body pile, and assumed about the Playmates cube, but I never knew any of the others! If I remember correctly, in DS9, a whole load of Bird Of Prey ornaments where used in "Way Of The Warrior" to blow to bits, and some Micro Machines in some of the Starfleet headquarters based episodes, specifically "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost".

Here's a link if your interested: 

http://en.memory-alp...ens_&_Artifacts

I'm not sure where you are, but I live in the UK, and I bought it pre owned on eBay for £2.99. For that I thought it was worth the risk.

Thanks for that! That's exactly why I thought of it, beyond the Fistfull of Data's figure's, their's not that many "casual" bodies that'd suit the Voyager crew.  I think I might have Janeway covered, with either a heavily modified Vash or Troi body (it has been awhile since I've seen the episode!) but for some reason the Jurassic figures immediately reminded me of Tom's, Chakotay's and Tuvok's costumes. Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated!

Hahaha! I actually told my partner about my idea, and her comment was "Oh, the planet hell bases, where they beam down to find all the stations crew dead, except sometimes theirs a guy in the corner, usually blubbering hysterically". Sums it up pretty well I think.

A little update on Quark's:

15034366686_60b0bc5ca9_z.jpg

It works! I'll post a new topic in the morning, but the 1998 "Power Of The Force: Cantina at Mos Eisley" playset works perfectly as a Quark's, with a little imagination and a couple of stickers it makes a fantastic playset.

#28 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

Okay, here's the links.  I should point out that a couple of these are finished, while others are still works in progress (some slower than others due to the makers' lives).  So, here they are:

1:18 TOS Bridge/Display Build

Star Trek T.O.S. Bridge Build 1:10th Scale

Building the Enterprise Bridge For less than £10 /$15

Enterprise Bridge (adjusted for DST action figures)

Not a TOS bridge, but still interesting: Star Trek Enterprise NX-01 Bridge Build 1:10 Scale

I didn't hear about the Micro Machines, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised.  Model miniature effects has no limits in the scale they use.

Thanks for the link.  I'll check it out.  :D

You're very much welcome.  I like to think about what could be useful for customization, since customizing is sort of like putting together a puzzle and you're trying to see what pieces fit. For example, for the Janeway in the suit from Future's End, you could probably use the arms, pelvis and legs from the Janeway figure (may require sanding, possibly some filler, at the shoulders of the arms, so to make it look like its one full sleeve with no pattern at the top).  You'd need to find an upper torso that has a bit of an open neckline.  I know this will sound a bit insane, but for most of the body, how about Seska in her Cardassian form from the Star Trek line that came after the Voyager line?  Just looking at this picture, you can use the entire torso and legs.  Remove the head and the arms, do so sanding on the lower section of the coat to shorten it, sand the inside front shirt to where it looks like one piece, fill in the bottom portion of the shirt, sculpt the collar and buttons to make it close to how its seen here, paint it white, paint in the top section of the shirt with flesh tone, add Janeway's arms and head (with a sculpted ponytail) and you may have it.  But then again, that's just me, I could be wrong with that idea.

Looking at the Vash figure, you'd probably have better luck using the upper torso and arms from that figure.  It's already got the neckline, all you'd need to do is sand down the necklace, sculpt the jacket and put on a Janeway lower torso (or even the Seska lower torso), paint and attach Janeway's head.  The thing you may want to check is to see if the Janeway figure has a long enough neck to attach to the body (the high collar on the Voyager uniforms make me wonder if the necks are as long as the TNG figures).  Another option is maybe using the upper torso and arms of the Beverly Crusher from The Big Goodbye figure.  You may have to sand/dremmel the necklaces, sculpt a shirt up to where the lower necklace is and then attach a lower half of Janeway and replace the head with Janeway's. Requires a little bit of sanding on the back near the small of the back to remove a detail (or you can leave it on), but the top portion of the figure looks like its close enough to pull off the look.  You've definitely got a lot of options available for you on doing the casual Janeway from that episode.

I know that there is this Series 2 Ian Malcolm figure from the Jurassic Park line that has a suit that could be used for Chakotay (though he's a bit thinner than Chakotay was in the show).  However, there's also this The Lost World Ian Malcolm figure that could be used for Tom (The Lost World figures are also in the same scale as the Jurassic Park figures).  I should point out that Jurassic Park III figures on forward actually were scaled down to 3.75 inch in scale, so that way if you came across JPIII figures you'll know they're smaller.

LOL.  Yep, that definitely does sum up that scenario for sure.  :D

Nice snag on the playset.  I agree, with some stickers you could definitely make it work as Quarks bar.  I know that they also released a Jeep for the JP line (maybe useful in being the base for the land-based vehicle Picard and Data use in Star Trek: Nemesis?).  I can't say I know of any other playsets in that same scale.  But if I come across any, I'll definitely recommend them. :D

#29 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the links! I've had a quick brief look and they look fantastic!

I'm sure they used Micro Machines for something else as well, thought I could be imagining it.

Seska as a Cardassian is a fantastic idea! And it isn't a crazy idea personally, the proposed assemblage looks exactly like Janeway's costume, the only problem being that Seska's head has a different neck connection, but, I have five spare Seska's, so I might as well have a go at making my own neck joint, as I'll need to for a future figure I want to make anyway. My last leg popping experiment resulted in a paralysed Riker, but I can pop the thigh/arm joints. I'll see what I can do using that! And no, I don't think your wrong, it's a damn good idea.

In terms of neck, I've only popped Tom's head, and that had a slightly long neck, but no where near as bad as some of the TNGers. Admiral McCoy, Romulan Picard and Romulan Data's necks are stupidly long, it's quite a lottery when you pop a head sometimes! Thanks for all the help.

I think both Ian Malcom's are perfect for Commander Chakotay and Tom. Thanks about the scaled down info, sometimes it can be confusing when buying on eBay, particularly when an item's just listed as "Jurassic Park figure".

I've got a couple of Cardassian labels around the place, but I'd like to add a Cardassian replicator behind the bar, somehow. But for the time being, I can live with it. For some reason I've now got an image of Picard driving like a maniac, music at full on the car's intercom, Data reading directions, Troi in the back sensing something strange, and Worf, Geordi and Riker holding onto the roof shooting at some pre industrial barbarians! 

#30 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

You're welcome. Figured that they could at least be useful as a resource.

Well, I hope the Seska figure works out. I also think I found a couple of more figures for causal appearances from the episode. Kirk and Spock from City on the Edge of Forever could be useful for lower torso (maybe one of them is close for Tuvok's outfit?).

You're welcome. When it comes to the necks, the longer ones are probably better than the short ones (easer to trimming ones down I would think).

You may want to buy one of the Malcolm figures to check to make sure it fits your needs for certain. You're welcome. I myself bought a JPIII figure and didn't know about it because of how much smart it was in comparison to previous fours done. But if you ever do 3.75 inch customs, they could be useful too. :)

Sometimes, a different paint job and sticker sheet can make a playset from one line different enough. I know that Kenner reused a lot of toy molds for different lines (the original SW Catina playset from the 1970s reused the mold from a Western bar playset they produced (all they did was change the cardboard backing, molded the base of the playset in a different color and used a different sticker sheet). They even reused the molds for the Ewok village playset from the line for Robin Hood's hideout for the "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" line, amongst many other examples). LOL @ that image of the crew in the Jeep. Even funnier than the cartoon I saw in an issue of Starlog magazine that had the crew of Voyager in a Plymouth Voyager lost in the middle of a desert. :)

#31 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:48 AM

It is! I had a good look at all of them, and they are all very impressive! Thanks again.

I hadn't considered Kirk and Spock. I've trimmed Spock's jacket for another custom, so that might open up new possibilities. Here's a picture of the crew:

http://i1153.photobu...FuturesEndI.jpg

I think Spock's body would be OK for Tuvok with some alterations, the Seska/Janeway combination for Janeway, Ian Malcolm for Commander Chuckles, and maybe either Kirk with his jacket off or the other Ian Malcolm for Tom.

And off topic, I finally found a use for spare Dixon Hill heads. With some crazy hair attached:
https://janewayobses...futuresend5.jpg
Braxton from "Future's End"!

I try and keep my articulation, but yes, it did make it more easy when making my Boothby figure from an Admiral McCoy.

Good idea, when I do get one I'll report back and tell you how it went.

I never knew that about Kenner, I guess they were trying to save as much money as they could.

That reminds me, is any of the Robin Hood figure's they've made over the years in scale with Playmates? I was thinking about "Q-Pid" figures.

I'll have to look that up, I don't think I've ever seen it! 

#32 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

So, I'm in a poundshop, or whatever they call them these days, buying some cheap containers for my paints, and I saw these guys.

15094039621_da9599f30c_z.jpg

Their an extremely cheap and cruddy knock off of some power rangers I think, but what I saw was two things:

A: Their just under four and half inches tall, just in scale with Playmates
B: They have blank featureless bodies.

Put these together, with some re-sculpting and some grey metallic paint?

Devidian's. Lot's of soul eating Devidian's.

I'll post my progress tomorrow. 

#33 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Braxon would be an interesting one to do.  I'll admit, I thought about what'd it be like to do Braxon's Timeship from that episode in the Playmates scale.  Then I realized, "That thing would be too huge to store.

Yeah, but then again, Kenner probably isn't the only company that did so.

I know that for Robin Hood figures, there was the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves line, and I have a figure from that line.  I'll have to dig around for it in my bins to find one and compare it with the Ripley figure.  But you may want to also consider the Hook line from Mattel, as I know the figure scale is the same as the Playmates (in fact, I was going to include a picture of a few more figures that are pretty close to size, but then I thought, most of these are Batman figures and wouldn't be as useful).  They have a Peter Pan figure from that line that could be used for the body of the Picard as Robin Hood.  Also included in the picture is one of the Van Helsing figures (of Kate Beckinsale's character Anna from the film) and have Ripley there for a size comparison as well.  Here's the picture I was talking about:

IMG_1623-1.jpg

Good find at the pound store.  Most of what I find at those stores, toy wise, are often not worth it.  Every once in a while I'll find something to snag (for example, Chopper motorcycles in the 3.75 scale was the last one I managed to snag.  Useful for a Ghost Rider action figure in that scale).

#34 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:06 AM

New update: I found my the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves figures in my collection.  I only have two of them: Robin Hood (Long Bow version) and Little John.  Both without accessories.  Using the Robin, I compared it to the Ripley figure. He's either even more close to the 4.5 scale like the Playmates, or he's in the same scale as the Aliens figures, but his height is appropriate to Kevin Costner's site.  Little John is practically towering over the Colonial Marines in in height.

Here's a link with all the figures from the Prince of Thieves line: http://www.figurerea...princeofthieves

#35 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

True, I know Hasbo reused the mould from a Star Wars playset for an Indiana Jones temple (it makes a pretty nice Romulan base!)

I can't thank you enough for digging around and finding some fantastic info! I don't know, I personally think Cat Woman could be used to make a better Intendant Kira. I completely agree on Peter Pan, even the hands look like they could handle a sword. And after looking at your Van Helsing figure and some of the others from the same line, I can see a lot of potential in them. 

Little John looks huge! Maybe a Galileo 7 alien? They all look fantastic for making some Q-Pid figures, thanks for the link, and again, thanks for looking!

I took a quick shot of my first Devidian:

14933526427_a1b2a39480.jpg

Any suggestions on how to improve him?

#36 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

We have similar cheap, goofball generic wrestler or power ranger action figures at American dollar stores, usually sold in a two pack. The arms work well with the playmates bodies too, so another source for (very) muscular bare arms...

IMG 20140519 161255 404

#37 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

I've also used the legs from those cheap generic figures to make molded customs. It's not too hard. You sculpt your custom character on top of the generic figure, then make a silicone mold, and when you fill the mold with resin and pop out the finished piece, it's a perfect fit. 

IMG 20130326 024856 789
IMG 20130329 162118 732

#38 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

For Redshirt#7:

Nice idea.  I may have to check out that playset to see what it looks like.  

You're very much welcome.  I'm surprised that the Catwoman would be something useful for a custom (but good to know that you have an idea for it).  

Little John is only slightly bigger than Robin, but he is towering a bit over the Aliens figures, for sure.  He could be useful for whatever you may use him for.

I'm unfamiliar with the Devidian race, but I will admit, I like what you're doing with the custom you've done so far on the figure.   :)

To Fat Valentino:

Nice!  That Officer is pumped up!   :D

Wow, that figure looks quite impressive.  :D

#39 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

If you'd like I can take some shots tomorrow of it with some Romulan occupiers .

Thanks!

The Devidian's are, in a nut shell, time meddling, soul eating aliens slightly out of phase from "normal time", or something like that, in TNG's "Time's Arrow" two parter.

Memory Alpha link:

http://en.memory-alp...g/wiki/Devidian

And a picture of them:

http://img3.wikia.no...e/Devidians.jpg

#40 CB2001

CB2001

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:33 PM

Sure, I'd like to see some pictures of the Romulan occupiers whenever you get a chance.  :)

You're welcome.

Ah, those things.  It's been a while since I last saw "Time's Arrow" (in fact, the only time I've seen it was when it first aired).  You're definitely doing good in the custom and getting them close to match, for sure.  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users