1053 replies to this topic

#21 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Horta is small but funky.

Don't need or want more Kirk/Spock figures, but like others I might buy the set for the Horta.

Seven in alcove would be awesome! Surely they would use the fully articulated body they sculpted.

#22 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Jul 15 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seven in alcove would be awesome! Surely they would use the fully articulated body they sculpted.

I'm just guessing that she would have to be one of the most dreamed about figures!! Ever. Even I want one of those!!! smile.gif

#23 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Weyoun I cant seem to find that Kirk v. Khan pic but I remember people talking about it....does anyone still have it or a link to it?

and Art...I curse you for posting that 7 picture again! You taunt me my friend!

#24 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

I lost the link as well but I saved the photos.

#25 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

eh...i dont know about that second one...that kirk pose is too defined...unless its more articulated than the spock. the console in the back is cool though.

#26 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Gosh that Seven of Nine scupt and alcove is GORGEOUS! I sure hope they find a way to produce that. Even better would be that alcove with BOTH Seven of Nine's as one big set. It ould be expensive, but I'd get it. I'd probably pay...$45...$60 if there were lights and sound. (Again...that'd be for two figures and an alcove.) Sigh...

#27 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

1) Tired of Kirk/Spock.
2) That Horta looks way out of scale.
3) That Horta looks like a pile of diarrhea. Not enough variation in texture and color.

Still not planning to buy either of the two shown/discussed so far.

#28 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

If you are looking for a business model of how they'll probably do the ST Select look no further than the Marvel Select line. I'll wait until I see the final product before I start crying foul. While the Horta is smaller in the prototype, there's no telling whether DST will fix that or run with it. Too early to say.

#29 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

I'm not so sure they are following the Marvel Select model here. MS started out very static, for example Wolverine, but has become very dynamic and collector-worthy in my opinion. If I compare Wolverine to Gambit, Wolverine's pose is much more static and he is less poseable, Wolverine's sculpt (while nice) isn't near as complex, Wolverine had no accessories. So the MS line looks a bit different, even in its current model.

We will just have to see.

I would love for them to lose the gimmicky bases and just give us quality, well articulated, heavily accessorized figures - like the MS line has become.

#30 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Id say thatHorta shown is most likely the final size ratio to spock. It could be a larger overall prototype but the ratio usually stays the same between the stuff shown and the final products. It probably has to be a cost issue for why the horta is small. A bigger horta would mean more materials and also a bigger base to fit it all on. Im actually fine with the little horta (a baby horta is actually a pet in STO). I would like them to get away from gimmicky bases but I think the idea of bases in general might be cool for this line. The console shown with Kirk would look cool behind many of my current figures. Obviously a falling Khan has no value to me...lol. So far my thoughts are that I am going to pick and choose this line as opposed to buying up everything as in the past. Im interested in the Spock as presented but if the Kirk looks anything like that Ill pass.

#31 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

That Horta almost looks as if it was scaled to go with a 3 3/4" Spock. Maybe this base was supposed to go with those 3 3/4" figures that DST was working on with Playmates toys. I think that Horta base would be cooler with with LED lights and sound clips. I'd absolutely love to see a Guardian of Forever set!

#32 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

I hate them to do a mini version of that too. It would be cool if they did it over 2 figures and have it connect...that would be epic!

#33 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:59 AM

Hmmm... I want to support a ST Select Line... I really do, but these initial offerings are doing it for me. I agree they need to get to 7 of 9 in an Alcove.. and quick!

#34 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I think it's a good start, as someone said earlier, this is a new line and we've got to accept that Kirk and Spock are going to be leading it out - that said, if we have a look at Titan Merchandise they are mixing it up releasing TNG characters as well - which could be something DST do.

Even following the Titan selection and releasing these characters next:

Medical Suit McCoy
Movie Khan
Picard
Data
Uhura
Scotty
Worf

These aren't our traditional Marvel Select but they are almost identical to the Universal Monsters Select in how much articulation they have and how the articulation is only there if needed to pose the character within the diorama - we may see a different set of articulation for Kirk.

I think the Horta isn't that far off actually, it may be a little small but far too big for 3 3/4 inch figures.

#35 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 17 2012, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm... I want to support a ST Select Line... I really do, but these initial offerings are doing it for me. I agree they need to get to 7 of 9 in an Alcove.. and quick!

For some reason that made me smile!!:)

#36 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I hear you Goth and tend to agree. It kind of feels "safe" everytime they start out with TOS. Want to get not only new fans, but the old one's. Take a chance and release something that hasn't been to death already. 7 of 9 would be a nice start to this line. I've already got a few Spock's on hand. So I have to wonder how the comic shops are going to feel about ordering a case of these? Some of my LCBS are stinging from the old DST line. Same with TRU, which will probably be one of the few retailers left outside of FYE to sell them. Oh, and Slayer, I wasn't talking about the sculpting, but the way they release and sell the figures. I'm just hoping there is a better frequency in the release of these as opposed to Marvel that seems to come out every 6 months or so.

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (JulesLuvsShinzon @ Jul 17 2012, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason that made me smile!!:)

Oh my blink.gif I... I.. didn't mean to imply!

These are clearly aimed for people who want to display dioramas, and basically pose everything in teams.

Anyway, I think they are a nice effort, but I agree the Horta is on the small side.

#38 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 12 2012, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think its a totally new sculpt Jules. It looks to me like DST has finally abandoned the old AA molds and re-done him.

I like it. But we really need VulcanFanatic to weigh in as he's the resident Spock expert.

I think the head sculpt looks great, hope they resculpt the body too, especially the legs and feet.

#39 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:27 AM

Good to hear from you VF! It looks like there are two lower bodies that snap on to the upper torso. 1 for kneeling and 1 for standing.

#40 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Spock is up for Pre Order at BBTS with a March 2013 Release date.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users