Photo

No AA Mayweather Helm Station available? I'll build my own then......

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hi there! My name is Darren and i am a new member here. What an amazing Forum!!! Every time I click on a thread, it's like opening a Christmas gift! Incidentally, I am not trying to turn this into a model making forum, I am sharing this build because I believe it to be relevant but should the moderators feel differently, I accept, of course, their right to move it or REmove it.

And now, to business!

After having a good read through previous postings, I see that I am not alone in my frustration at the incomplete AA Broken bow Deluxe set. So, after having already invested in the three available pieces, I have decided to complete the set myself.

I have taken measurements from the available plans online and I have also used the two promotional pictures that AA released, which I have also listed here:

th_1111mayweather2__scaled_500_zpsfb19b8 th_1111mayweather1__scaled_500_zpsbd0a13

These two pictures actually help a lot as they contain certain things that are easily measurable, such as the figure, the chair and most importantly, the centre screen console. The chair and centre console are the same as the ones used on Reed's and T'pol's Stations.
As for the base, the flooring is patterned and recurring patterns can also be measured. The surface is a texture of raised dots, in uniform rows, and by measuring their spacings on one of the other set pieces, I found that there are 10 dots per inch, (or 100 dots per square inch.) Thankfully, the AA promotional pics above are of a clear enough resolution that I can count the dots to give me an accurate width and length for the base platform.

20131205_210408_zpsd21e0105.jpg

20131205_205825_zps6242ff8d.jpg

579d4e30-c47f-4842-83f9-d38c2d854250_zps

20131208_014859_zpsa9f43bce.jpg

I noticed quite quickly that the AA helm had quite a few inaccuracies: the console slope isn't steep enough, the supporting pillar wasn't accurate at the base etc, so I am also trying to iron out those issues, too. It really comes down to a balance between available images and what is realistically achievable with plastic and glue.
20131208_010705_zpsfc7f86cd.jpg

20131208_010842_zpsdeb6e1ae.jpg

For the moment, (see picture below,) my Helm is too far to the left. This is simply because it is taped in place to,allow me to take pictures and check alignments etc. when the supporting pedastool is completed, only half of it will be on the base.
20131208_010620_zps70d097a9.jpg

20131208_014859_zpsa9f43bce.jpg

Well I hope this is of interest to some of you at least, and I welcome your comments, questions and critiques. In the meantime, I shall endeavour to push the build forward.
Thanks for looking in :)

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

Wow!!! :o That looks really great! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the finished thing!

#3 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Model making, songwriting, DIY, general tinkering and not ever being able to just leave something the way it is!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Thanks, Daysleeper. I should have a new update this evening.

#4 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

someone needs to scan that and start making some 3D prints!  ^.^

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

I would buy one !!! Wow.... great work !!!

#6 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

that's nice. JMW & i are working on the same thing. James made a spot on 3d model of the helm station for me to print out.

#7 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Would you consider sharing your 3d mesh? I want to build a bridge in the 4.5" scale for a stop motion project I'm working on.

#8 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

Would you consider sharing your 3d mesh? I want to build a bridge in the 4.5" scale for a stop motion project I'm working on.

you would have to ask jmw the files are his not mine.

#9 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

Will do. :-)

#10 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thats nice work. Im not sure how acurate my mesh is but I will be happy to share it. Drop me a PM with your email and what you are looking for.

#11 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

A very good evening/morning to you all! I have managed to make considerable progress since my last update. The helm console is now correctly positioned, as the support podium is now pretty much constructed.
20131209_135106_zps75d9fa86.jpg

I have been fastidiously studying reference photos and I believe I have recreated it to an acceptable level of screen accuracy.

20131209_135300_zps738e537b.jpg

There are still a lot of panelling details to add but that will come after I have finished the remaining construction and filled with and sanded the Milliput. Looking good though.
20131209_135324_zpse904d822.jpg

I also found time to scratch build the helm seat, which involved a few hours heating plastic sheet and rod in hot water. I also scratch built 90% of the slide rail it is mounted on. Hopefully, I will finish the rail off tomorrow.

20131210_014255_zps49e1ea72.jpg

The seat does slide, just like the original.

20131210_014338_zps030bb238.jpg

It also swivels like the original. It's all in the detail!
20131210_014359_zpsb887ac95.jpg

Here's a peek under the seat at the mechanism. Simple but effective.
20131210_014420_zps63ae82ff.jpg

All in all, I think it is starting to shape up pretty well, and I am looking forward to Milliputting and then sanding this thing into shape!
20131210_014530_zps4efad617.jpg

Well, that's about it for this installment. Thanks for looking in and I hope you enjoyed my update.
More soon!

#12 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

That looks awesome!

#13 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Thanks, Man! Always good to get positive feedback! :)

#14 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:34 AM

Ok,stupid question that may have been answered already. Are you making this just for yourself or are you gonna offer it to others to buy? I would REALLY like one just to complete my bridge set. Would've liked to complete the Playmates one too of course,lol,but it'd be great to at least complete SOMEthing.

And great work!

J-R!

#15 2thGuy

2thGuy

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:54 AM

Incredible work, Atlanthia.  

#16 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Woow incredible,  Can we order coppies??

#17 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Thank you for the support, folks! I really appreciate it. As for making and selling copies, to be honest, I hadn't even thought about it. I just see things that don't exist but should and I make them exist. That's why I do this. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to the idea but it would be hollow cast plastic resin rather that 3D printing as, I am sorry to say, 3D printing of a piece this large would be prohibitively expensive, IMHO.

I guess if enough people were genuinely interested, say......a minimum of ten pre-orders, it might be worth looking at....

#18 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Hey man, I don't care if you make it out of toilet paper...if it looks that nice I'll take a copy!

#19 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

Screw the cost,just gimme,gimme,gimme!!!! LOL! I'll have two please. If you end up offering it to others. And keep up the most excellent work!.....that I would never have the patience to even THINK about trying to do,lol!

J-R!

#20 Atlanthia

Atlanthia

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hey man, I don't care if you make it out of toilet paper...if it looks that nice I'll take a copy!

:lol: I nearly spat my coffee everywhere when I read that!

Screw the cost,just gimme,gimme,gimme!!!! LOL! I'll have two please. If you end up offering it to others. And keep up the most excellent work!.....that I would never have the patience to even THINK about trying to do,lol!

J-R!

Looks like I'm taking pre-orders, then! lol! Seriously though, let's wait until its finished, first - just in case ;)

Robster, what on earth would you need TWO for??? :o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users