39 replies to this topic

#1 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

How rare are the Galoob figures? I've seen some cheap ones on ebay.

#2 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(TrekCollector01 @ Aug 16 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How rare are the Galoob figures? I've seen some cheap ones on ebay.

Actually, a more important question is are they worth getting?

("That, Detective, is the right question," says the hologram of James Cromwell. the hologram disappears into the projector.)

#3 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

They are not that rare at all. Although Yar and Data is more rare than Picard, Riker, Worf, and Geordi as they were the short packs (Riker being the most common since there was always one more of him in each case than Picard, Worf, and Geordi). There are also several Data variants to look out for as the paint color was changed several times during the run. The blue skinned Data being the original and most rare version. Even then, there is no need to pay top dollar for them as they can be found for dirt cheap as well if you are patient.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:22 AM

http://www.trektoy.com/d.htm

On that page I list the different color variants of the Data face that I have in my collection. Blue is the most rare.

#5 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:04 AM

I have been thinking about picking these up again since they are so cheap on ebay lately. I had them back when they originaly came out and liked them pretty well. I have always been sorry that I got rid of them when I did. They are not the greatest figures in the world but not bad either.

#6 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

These were very cool IMO. I think the die-cast Ent-D is really awesome. I played with mine so much it was chipped and dented. I had to pick up another one I liked it so much.

#7 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:01 AM

So, like I said before, are they worth getting?

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

Ok I'll take this one. If your a figure collector that collects trek I say yes. They can be picked up for a reasonable price and are neat pieces for your collection. If you are a person that only collects pieces that must be first rate and with as little error as can be done, ya might pass. I like mine. I will say they offer no real ability to poss one and to be honest they are the most "off" in likeness of them all. McCoy was REALLY bad

I don't know if you know this, but in order to get them back in the day, they were all mail order. I can't remember what I had to do to get them for sure, but I do remember that I mailed away and it seems like I had to send a box top or something. If I were to buy them now I would look to buy the set rather then one at a time.

#9 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:49 AM

All you had to do was go see Star Trek 5. They gave the order form to you when you bought your ticket. At least that is how I got mine. I believe it was $100 or $120 for the set of 5 (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Sybok, and Captain Klaa). A year or so later, I saw them at TRU being clearanced out. Never saw them in stores when they first came out, though. They probably bought the overstock after all the mail orders were filled.

Forgot to mention, it is worth checking out the TNG wave 2 alien figures from Galoob. They were only released in a limited quantity before the line was cancelled and far more rare than the TNG wave 1 figures. It consists of Q in judge's robes, a Ferengi, an Antican, and a Selay.

The Star Trek 5 set is also somewhat rare as well. But they are more like vinyl statues than action figures. Similar to the Applause TNG vinyl figures.

Whether or not they are worth getting is up to you. I will say they are nicely done and decently detailed. The ST5 figures are 6" or 7" scale and are decent for display, but not the best vinyl statues I've ever seen. The TNG line is 3 3/4" and is well detailed for figures that size. If you like that scale, then I say they are good to have. The shuttlecraft and Ferengi fighter are cool, the shuttlecraft being the better of the two. The die-cast enterprise is nice and was fun at the time, especially since you can separate the saucer. The phaser is cool since it can be used as a flashlight, but it is a woefully inaccurate and oversized cricket phaser. Although I have to admit, I did love it.

The Galoob line had a lot of potential. I actually like them better than the Playmates figures. Too bad they never got the chance to get off the ground as Galoob had a lot of neat things planned.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

yes they are, I could not remember the name of those things. I was never interested in them much for some reason, but they are much like those.

Love the lipstick

This one was OK

I think this guy was only in the TNG pilot Ep right

Fighting with this guy

I say that small or large they make nice pieces to a collection, if your a Trek Figure Collector like I am.

#11 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

The Antican and the Selay were the two warring species that the Enterprise were transporting to a peace conference in the first season episode "Lonely Among Us".

#12 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

I love the Galoob figures...I really wish we had seen more. And if you're willing to take your time, you can get a great deal on them right now - I picked up an entire set MOC - first and second set - for about $70 on eBay about a year ago. Totally worth it.

#13 Trek Forever

Trek Forever

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

Yes for their size they were ahead of the Playmates line.

#14 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 17 2008, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok I'll take this one. If your a figure collector that collects trek I say yes. They can be picked up for a reasonable price and are neat pieces for your collection. If you are a person that only collects pieces that must be first rate and with as little error as can be done, ya might pass. I like mine. I will say they offer no real ability to poss one and to be honest they are the most "off" in likeness of them all. McCoy was REALLY bad

I don't know if you know this, but in order to get them back in the day, they were all mail order. I can't remember what I had to do to get them for sure, but I do remember that I mailed away and it seems like I had to send a box top or something. If I were to buy them now I would look to buy the set rather then one at a time.

Well, I wouldn't know, because I wasn't alive in '88. But here is another question: I collect MIB figures for display. Is it worth getting these for that type of collection?

#15 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(knightone @ Aug 17 2008, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Antican and the Selay were the two warring species that the Enterprise were transporting to a peace conference in the first season episode "Lonely Among Us".

I remember that episode. Picard beamed himself into outerspace because I think he was being controlled by some alien.

#16 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

HERE is a good reference page for you. Even shows the VERY rare prototype figures of a Romulan and Wesley Crusher. (I know there was a Wesley on eBay a few years ago and he went for a significant price).

#17 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE(TrekCollector01 @ Aug 17 2008, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I wouldn't know, because I wasn't alive in '88. But here is another question: I collect MIB figures for display. Is it worth getting these for that type of collection?

I would say, for a MIB collector, the ST5 vinyl figures are perfect as the packaging has a backdrop behind the figures and makes for nice displays.

#18 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:45 AM

I agree if you get them no real reason to take them out.

#19 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE(knightone @ Aug 17 2008, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say, for a MIB collector, the ST5 vinyl figures are perfect as the packaging has a backdrop behind the figures and makes for nice displays.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

#20 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:02 PM

Just looking at these old 3 3/4" figures by Galoob is really getting me hopeful for Playmates new line in that scale. I really wish Galoob would have been able to give us more! That Enterprise-D Bridge playset would have been awesome! I still have these figures and I hopr one day we will see TNG in this scale again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users