Photo

So who's all worried that we'll see a repeat of the Kang debacle...

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

Same notice here, and I had to be among the first to place orders. I suspect this isn't the same situation (YET) as Kang, and agree with Gothneo. With Kang, they sent notice of cancellation, not backorder. I bet DST has adjusted the schedule, or perhaps even canceled the wave. But if anybody finds one in a TRU then please let us know?? unsure.gif

#22 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ Dec 11 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same notice here, and I had to be among the first to place orders. I suspect this isn't the same situation (YET) as Kang, and agree with Gothneo. With Kang, they sent notice of cancellation, not backorder. I bet DST has adjusted the schedule, or perhaps even canceled the wave. But if anybody finds one in a TRU then please let us know?? unsure.gif

I dont think DST would be that stupid to cancel the wave for their only BM Toy Store, I mean honestly, if the deal with TRU ends up falling through, I think DST is toast.

#23 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

And here we go folks! Just got my cancellation notice-

Thank you for shopping at Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com.

Unfortunately, some or all of the items from your order # are currently unavailable. As a result, these item(s) have been deleted from your order.

Here is a review of the item(s) that have been cancelled:

Item: 5905843
Description: Exclusive Star Trek Series 4 Action Figure - Romulan
Quantity: 3 @ $13.99

Please note, you will not be charged for the above item(s).

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. Thank you again for shopping at Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com.

Sincerely,

The Guest Service Team
Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com

Terrible, terrible handling of preorders. I hate toysrus.com.

I guess it's off to the hunt.

Sallah

#24 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

Yup, me too. And I really wanted this one. I hate Toys R Us.

#25 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (thecapn @ Dec 21 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, me too. And I really wanted this one. I hate Toys R Us.

Yeah, this is a pretty high level of ignorance. It seems they would know how many they ordered and only take enough preoders to meet that. Nope. Just take as many as you want and then disappoint all your customers with cancellation notices! Good move!

Sallah

#26 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (sallah @ Dec 21 2009, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess it's off to the hunt.

Sallah

I got a cancellation notice as well. Unlike last time, however, there are none on eBay that I can find (there were at least 2 Kang sellers to be found with a simple search as early as the notices started flying back then). I'm gonna have to assume that DST canceled this wave (or TRU did) -- until somebody tells us they found one... Anybody?

#27 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

How sad. sad.gif Even when DST "tries" to get it right, they can't. I've been lucky enough with Kang in the store, but it's reasons like those cancellations I will never shop at Toys online again (they've also got extremely inept customer service people on the phone). Really, it's a pointless question since there's no answer, but what's the point of preordering now??

#28 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (reverie @ Dec 21 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How sad. sad.gif Even when DST "tries" to get it right, they can't. I've been lucky enough with Kang in the store, but it's reasons like those cancellations I will never shop at Toys online again (they've also got extremely inept customer service people on the phone). Really, it's a pointless question since there's no answer, but what's the point of preordering now??

Exactly! I won't be placing any more orders at toysrus.com for anything, preorder or otherwise. Crap like that loses customers, and can toys r us really afford to lose any customers at this point?

Sallah

#29 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

I had my online run-in with TRU as well...but to be honest...I have a hard time blaming them first. I think that DST is more to blame. Short packing Kang? Canceling the Romulan? Scheduling ANOTHER Kirk/Spock two pack? Seriously...what's going on? Kirk and Spock are peg warmers just about everywhere you go. The market for them is saturated. Clearly there are plenty of collectors going without Kang this Christmas...how much clearer does the market need to be? I just don't get it.

#30 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Dec 21 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...how much clearer does the market need to be? I just don't get it.

It's these thoughts that seem so obvious to us, but it makes me wonder what DST is thinking, or maybe even seeing, that we're not.

#31 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Dec 21 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had my online run-in with TRU as well...but to be honest...I have a hard time blaming them first. I think that DST is more to blame. Short packing Kang? Canceling the Romulan? Scheduling ANOTHER Kirk/Spock two pack? Seriously...what's going on? Kirk and Spock are peg warmers just about everywhere you go. The market for them is saturated. Clearly there are plenty of collectors going without Kang this Christmas...how much clearer does the market need to be? I just don't get it.

Well, in all fairness, I'm sure TRU has some say in how the cases are packed. In all likelihood, they told DST "we want more Kirk & Spock... Kirk & Spock sell", just like they used to do with the Batman and Superman lines at Kenner/ Hasbro ("we want more batman and superman... those sell"), regardless of what the evidence in stores obviously shows. That's the problem when you have higher-ups who are totally out of touch with their customer base.

Sallah

#32 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

I wouldn't take the unavailability of the Romulan for preorder and E-bay purchase as a sign that it's cancelled. Yes, Kang was available on E-bay after pre-orders were cancelled, but by that point, Kang's November release date had arrived. Romulan, Scotty re-release, and new and improved Kirk are not scheduled for release until January 4. I would check E-bay AFTER that date before giving up on this wave.

I find it odd that both the Romulan AND Scotty are no longer available for pre-order, but super Kirk still is. The Romulan's popularity I can understand, but why the hell would anyone order so many Scottys as to make pre-order cancellation necessary in TRU's eyes when Scotty is exactly the same as a figure that's been out for a long time? Anyway, Kirk is the only figure in this wave I'm interested in, so it not being out of stock on the site leaves me with a little hope still.

#33 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Dec 21 2009, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't take the unavailability of the Romulan for preorder and E-bay purchase as a sign that it's cancelled. Yes, Kang was available on E-bay after pre-orders were cancelled, but by that point, Kang's November release date had arrived. Romulan, Scotty re-release, and new and improved Kirk are not scheduled for release until January 4. I would check E-bay AFTER that date before giving up on this wave.

I find it odd that both the Romulan AND Scotty are no longer available for pre-order, but super Kirk still is. The Romulan's popularity I can understand, but why the hell would anyone order so many Scottys as to make pre-order cancellation necessary in TRU's eyes when Scotty is exactly the same as a figure that's been out for a long time? Anyway, Kirk is the only figure in this wave I'm interested in, so it not being out of stock on the site leaves me with a little hope still.

I'll bet the case pack is 2 Scotty, 1 Romulan, 3 Kirk... which may explain why there are still Kirks left. Another aspect is many folks (me included) are still going with a "wait and see" approach on Kirk, since toysrus.com has done the bait and switch before with figure pics. It's still very possible that it will end up being just another Kirk reissue and not the new figure we are all hoping for.

Sallah

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:22 AM

Yep. Got my notice as well...

I can't believe this is DSTs fault. TRU is responsible for taking the pre-orders and shipping stock. In fact TRU will dictate the case packouts no matter what DST tells them... for all we know DST could have been telling them that Kang & Romulans would be sure hits with collectors and that they should order even case packouts... but I've read about this many many times, the TRU buyers will insist that they know the market and so the manufactures just make what the retailer wants.

I would really like DST to just offer these up on their website. direct to consumer.

But this makes me wonder if the wave got canceled.

#35 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Quadrotritacale @ Dec 21 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not the only reason I think it is canceled. Entirely new body (or clothing/whatever, at least), new head...considering DST's track record this year it is pretty easy for me to assume that this is one of the least likely figures to actually get produced. Consider the indefinite postponement of Wave 5, which this Kirk is from.... Little clues everywhere all add up. Also, you are absolutely correct -- no way in heck Scotty would sell out already at 2 per case. No way.

The Kangs to which I refer were from UK sellers who may have had their own release date. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but cancellation emails did not go out until days after release date last time. This time it is before.

I hope it's not canceled but I'm just being realistic here, and considering the larger picture. The day Sallah or somebody else posts a picture of theirs in package is the day I believe this figure exists.

#36 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:50 AM

I don't want to agree with your Whirlygig... I really don't because I was hoping for this wave! I wanted some extra redshirts to do customs...

But as much as I don't want to agree with you... I'm having problems finding issues with your Logic!

Everything from the "backorder" notice to the cancellation prior to product release. If this wave was in stock and they oversold it, The Kirk would be listed as "In Stock" not "Pre-Order".

#37 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

I sent an e-mail over to the one reliable contact I have at DST... I'll let you know what he says...

Sallah

#38 stardust

stardust

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:01 AM

I ordered within the first hour on both Kang and the Romulan. My Kang order was filled. This morning though my Romulan was cancelled. Now I wonder if the Romulan assortment has been canned--not that TRU ran out of these.

#39 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

Right now i just think they oversold on their preorders and had to cancel a portion of them. I imagine that they set aside a certain number to be shipped to stores, then use whats left to fulfill preorders, and perhaps they fell short on what they have recieved so far, or what they were told is on the way to them. I know that the Wilmington,NC store has never got in any of the Mirror Kirk,Spock,Kang wave, so apparently TRU cut back shipments to stores because of limited supply or because of light sales at the particular store , i dont know. It may be that after there was so many leftovers from the first couple of waves that TRU cut back on the number they order. I dont know how their preorder system works either, what if some guy ordered like 20 Kangs or Romulans right when the preorder went up? Would he get his order fulfilled first and maybe 20 folks that only ordered one get cancellation notices? Seems like rationing would be a good idea for very limited items like these.

#40 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Dec 21 2009, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right now i just think they oversold on their preorders and had to cancel a portion of them. I imagine that they set aside a certain number to be shipped to stores, then use whats left to fulfill preorders, and perhaps they fell short on what they have recieved so far, or what they were told is on the way to them. I know that the Wilmington,NC store has never got in any of the Mirror Kirk,Spock,Kang wave, so apparently TRU cut back shipments to stores because of limited supply or because of light sales at the particular store , i dont know. It may be that after there was so many leftovers from the first couple of waves that TRU cut back on the number they order. I dont know how their preorder system works either, what if some guy ordered like 20 Kangs or Romulans right when the preorder went up? Would he get his order fulfilled first and maybe 20 folks that only ordered one get cancellation notices? Seems like rationing would be a good idea for very limited items like these.

I'd love to think you're right, but aside from the real ***heads like that, we're pretty much the market for these. US. Is it really likely that ALL of us have had ours cancelled? I mean, maybe 50%, but not ALL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users