Enterprise-E Nacelle lights modification

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 shiki88

shiki88

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 02:33 AM

Hi guys, I recently purchased a new AA/DST Enterprise-E, and am interested in modding the nacelle lights. I would like to achieve a similar effect to the one shown in this video:

I have not done much electronics work prior to this, and was hoping if someone who has done this modification before can throw up some instructions on how to perform the modification, explain what sort of equipment I will need besides two Blue LEDs (and possibly two Red LEDs for the bussard collectors), and include a couple pictures of what the internals of the nacelles look like. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks! (The Enterprise just doesn't quite look correct without glowing blue nacelles )!

#2 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

I am looking into this mod, I emailed the guy and hope to here a response soon.
when I hear more I will post.

#3 shiki88

shiki88

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:23 AM

I went to radioshack and found some LEDs, I think 2x Large Blue and 2x Small Red are required, now all I need are the instructions/pictures biggrin.gif

#4 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:22 AM

I believe that the voltage of the LED is important so not to replace resistors and such...

#5 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

Ok, so I built up enough courage to take it apart...

It appears that AA used rice bulbs for the light source.

The inside of the nacelle is tinted blue an red on the top.

I have purchased several LED's and soldering supplies and shrink tape, MAY THE GREAT EXPERIMENT BEGIN!

#6 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

^^ Your a braver man than I . I suggest you contact Thomas E. Johnson who is a forum member here , before you proceed any further and ask him for advice . He does light jobs for the ships and could offer some sound advice on it . If you wind up with the wrong voltage it could short out the ship .

#7 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

I believe the voltage to be 3.5-5... I am using 3.5 LED's.

The first test for the blue LED's...

Well, if Thomas E. Johnson has any suggestions feel free...

K'plA!

#8 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

Oh . alright looks like you have a good handel on it , can't wait to see the finished product .

Question : What did you use to do the windows? I'm wanting to do that with my E .

#9 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Yea, this is really easy. I consider myself to be a comeplete novice when it comes to electricity...

I still need to replace the two other bulbs, I don't know why more people do this? Very straight forward.

#10 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

oops... this is the pen I used to do the windows.

It's a Sharpie ultra-fine point medium gray.

Also the LED's I used for the bussards are actually pink, and they turn out amazing.

#11 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

One reason is lack of funds to buy the supplies with LOL

Very cool looking ! how do you seperate the halves of the ship and the nacelles?

#12 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

There are two screws where the little cover tabs are. The interior of the nacelles has two tabs that press in to fit. I used a tiny flat head to SLOWLY pry it up. The engineering section has three screws under the battery cover and one just under the aft-most shuttle bay, it's under the little cover tab. The saucer has six screws under similar tabs. Be careful not to break them, although I did break two I inted to simply glue them in place, they still have one tab attached...no biggie, just be careful.

this project is easier than I had anticipated, I have only put in about 3-4 hours into this and the nacelles are practically done, there is a fit issue that I wish to address and after I put the other two white LED's in place this thing should be b*tchin'.

Why did AA/DST not use LED's in the first place the rice bulbs used are incredibly faint.

#13 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:22 PM

So you just put the pink & blue in series? How many blues could you attach in series like that per nacelle; I would want to try to get the whole thing to appear lit instead of just one spot.

#14 shiki88

shiki88

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (CaptBrando @ May 22 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are two screws where the little cover tabs are. The interior of the nacelles has two tabs that press in to fit. I used a tiny flat head to SLOWLY pry it up. The engineering section has three screws under the battery cover and one just under the aft-most shuttle bay, it's under the little cover tab. The saucer has six screws under similar tabs. Be careful not to break them, although I did break two I inted to simply glue them in place, they still have one tab attached...no biggie, just be careful.

this project is easier than I had anticipated, I have only put in about 3-4 hours into this and the nacelles are practically done, there is a fit issue that I wish to address and after I put the other two white LED's in place this thing should be b*tchin'.

Why did AA/DST not use LED's in the first place the rice bulbs used are incredibly faint.

That's beautiful Brando! Looks like a successful mission. I have some questions:
Did you have to split the entire ship, or can you just just separate the nacelle parts?
Both LEDs you used are exactly 3.5V?
Where did Soldering come in?
How do you suggest splitting the wire so that both blue and red LEDs in the nacelle can receive power?
Did you use a Large Blue LED and a small red one from radio shack?

Thanks!

#15 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

The reason I didn't show wiring is because it looked kinda botched...
Having said this I now know ho to improve on it. I used the existing wire only and solder. I did not take the pylons apart. If I had this part may have been easier.

Beware! The nacelles on the inner most side where there looks to be a tab, it is not. Don't try wrenching it out, like me.

I cut the rice bulb out carefully, keeping the wire and bulb intact. It may be noted that the LED will work with the rice bulb, however, the rice bulb is very faint and will not be as spectacular. I placed the two blue rectangular LED's close to the middle of the nacelle. I suppose you could solder new wire to put two more blue LED's in, but I can't say if it will work. But it will support a pink LED for the bussard. The pink seems to give the bussards depth. I recommend painting the interior of the nacelles black where the hull is supposed to be, there is some pink bleed through if you do not take this step. Several coats of black paint on both halves will work.

Placing the blue LED's first will maximize the length for the bussard LED's, also using as little tape for insulation as possible is recommended.

I did not replace the bridge light or the Deflector, the thing looks good as it is I think, I may have to though, to be consistent.

K'plA!

#16 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

All of my LED's cam from good ol' RadioShack, btw, The blue LED's are:

Super High Brightness
Rectangular Blue LED 3.2-3.8 V

and

5mm High Brightness
Pink LED 3.5-4 V

I hope this won't catch fire...

#17 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

Awesome results, nice work. biggrin.gif

#18 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:07 PM

Thank you, I am now cleaning up the wires so to show the world.

#19 shiki88

shiki88

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (CaptBrando @ May 22 2009, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you, I am now cleaning up the wires so to show the world.

Yeah a pic of the wiring would be much appreciated, especially a detailed shot at the internal nacelle work so I can duplicate it. Thanks!

#20 CaptBrando

CaptBrando

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 01:18 AM

Ok, so I took the botched job and started anew...

And I took it back to this...

The tape use should be minimal. Also I suggest applying a small amount of solder before hand, so it's cleaner and less chunky. The chunkiness lead to a fit issue for the port nacelle.

the finished product...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users