Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

Yes including yours, making it 16

#42 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

Well I posted something really mean before, and I couldn't find a way to delete it so I had to change it to something and that was what I thought of. Pretty lame huh?

#43 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:39 AM

Well the longer we keep talking about this and not TOS wave 5, the more off topic this topic will become sooo...

I think the selection for TOS Wave 5 is a good one but as a "Thank You" to the fans, well i don't really see it being that. A thank you to the fans would have been a wave that didn't consist of Kirk or Spock in variant expressions or uniforms. i mean to be honest, unless you don't already own a Spock or a Kirk - why would anyone want another Kirk uniform variant? or a Spock with a raised eyebrow?? unless you have to complete the set?

The Romulan Kirk looks great but i'd wish that they had spend the money to create a new sculpt for his body - Kirk has completely different proportions to Mark Leonard's Romulan Commander - its just this that makes DST look cheap to me.

I think the Salt Vampire will be the best figure in this wave, i just really hope they don't make the paint apps too soft, get a bit of shadowing and dry brushing going on, bit of tone, rather than just one colour.

The Romulan Commander is the 2nd best figure in this line-up and again i just hope they get the paint right, which goes for all the figures really. if the paint application is to a standard that is as good as Art Asylum's and unless they bugger this wave up by using the original AA spock body for this new McCoy body - like they had used the McCoy rubber shirt for the Command Chair Kirk (seriously!!) then i'll be very tempted to get the 5 figures from Wave 5.

not too bothered about the change in articulation around the shoulders. I think the ball and socket joint looks a lot better than the hinge and pin.

#44 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Mar 15 2009, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the selection for TOS Wave 5 is a good one but as a "Thank You" to the fans, well i don't really see it being that. A thank you to the fans would have been a wave that didn't consist of Kirk or Spock in variant expressions or uniforms.

A "Thank You" to the fans doesn't have to mean a complete abandonment of their true goal, which must always be producing a wave that will sell.

They could announce a wave consisting of The Keeper, Trelane, Janice Lester and the Master Thrall of Triskellion with a 2-pack of Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln (with Isis accessory).

We'd all go insane in our rejoicing at this new direction, but I guarantee you that it would never see the light of day. They still have to entice enough pre-orders from retailers (their first-line customers), and Kirk and Spock variants are, in their opinion, the only way to do so.

i mean to be honest, unless you don't already own a Spock or a Kirk - why would anyone want another Kirk uniform variant? or a Spock with a raised eyebrow?? unless you have to complete the set?

Lots of people weren't around six years ago for wave 1 of AA's TOS line.

I was around, and I'm still very much looking forward to this Kirk variant.

#45 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (pickard @ Mar 15 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A "Thank You" to the fans doesn't have to mean a complete abandonment of their true goal, which must always be producing a wave that will sell.

They could announce a wave consisting of The Keeper, Trelane, Janice Lester and the Master Thrall of Triskellion with a 2-pack of Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln (with Isis accessory).

We'd all go insane in our rejoicing at this new direction, but I guarantee you that it would never see the light of day. They still have to entice enough pre-orders from retailers (their first-line customers), and Kirk and Spock variants are, in their opinion, the only way to do so.

If they advertised your idea in a way that was exciting and made the figures looks awesome then yes, i think they would sell - lets face it, even when they add Kirk and Spock to their line-up DST are not exactly looking at awesome sales. I think fans want characters that they remember from their favorite series, not just Kirk and Spock.

Your not going to get massive sales on something that's over 40 years old when you don't advertise it as this phenomenon and Sci-Fi series that really did start a Sci-Fi revolution - without Gary Seven, Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, The Keeper, Trelane and all the other great TOS characters in those 79 episodes - we'd have never got Star Wars or any other Sci-Fi. Now with the revival of Kirk and Spock in this big BIG summer blockbuster there's even more reason for DST to advertise. DST have a prime chance to really push their TOS figures - with a new TOS movie coming out, i'd expect DST to really start advertising CLASSIC Star Trek - the Star Trek that spawned this movie. But will we get that, probably not - or at least not in the way it should be done.

Lots of people weren't around six years ago for wave 1 of AA's TOS line.

that might be true but i think many more people were around when AA did their TOS line than they are today and sales weren't hot then either and what people are left can easily get a MIB one off ebay for a really cheap price or amazon.com for a reasonable price.

I was around, and I'm still very much looking forward to this Kirk variant

So was i and well, a lot of things have to be right with this figure for me to buy it - the main thing is that it has to look better than the Kirk we got six years ago; painted better or the same. (side note: SIX YEARS AGO!?!?!?!? i feel old).

#46 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:05 AM

I completely see it as a thank you to the fans. The Early casual Duty Kirk is the one that I have wanted most (I am a fan). Romulan Kirk and Romulan Commander are ones that I have heard many many "Fans" requests along with the Salt Vampire and Chapel. So yeah I see it as a thank you to the fans. The only one that is not would be Spock. They could have done I differnt version of him but not every wave is perfect. IF you are not happy with the wave then show DST by not buying them.

#47 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Mar 15 2009, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they advertised your idea in a way that was exciting and made the figures looks awesome then yes, i think they would sell.

Kruge. Maltz.

#48 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:24 AM

I get the feeling that no matter what anyone said, no matter how rational it is, you are going to disagree for disagreeings sake NF. Even DST answered your questions, as did AA before that on why the reuse of the parts keep the cost down for them. Now if you have some money you'd like to invest in their company, I'm sure they wouldn't mind making these figures from scratch for you wink.gif If you don't, than at least respect the members of this forum and decide if you are in or out(?). Because the last time I checked you were done with DST, but you said that about AA back in the day too. At this point, you are just saying the same thing over and over again, just in different topics. Clearly the folks that do buy the line like this wave and all your doing is raining on the folks that have ask for these figures for years.

#49 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

I am kinda liking this wave 5. It will be the first time I've bought any of these in a while with the exception of The Wrath of Khan Figures. Im hoping wave 6 will bring in more aliens. I hope that Two Packs will eventually become more and more episode specific. I'd like something along the lines of say, "City on the Edge of Forever". It could be done with a build a Guardian of Forever in mind! Pack one- Kirk in civilian clothes and Edith Keeler, Pack two-Spock in civilian clothes and crazed McCoy. If Two Two Packs would'nt be economicaly sound, maybe they could bring us something new, that being Kirk and Spock from the animated series episode in which The Guardian was also featured! For a fourth Two Pack they could give us young Spock and his Sehlat.

Now off topic (sorry FHC) but relevant to advertising for DST. Why not have a mail away premium in cereal for a figure? I saw this this morning:

http://trekmovie.com...ovie-promotion/

#50 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

I like ALL of the TOS wave 5 figures, including the arched eyebrow Spock. It would be great if this Spock had a molded torso instead of the rubber shirt. I see this as a thank you wave because it has so many fan requested figures in it.

#51 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

Well i think this is it, DST should perhaps start mixing the waves up - there's 5 series out there and they could have a wave with a figure from each of those series.

I mean it's not as if Star Trek is this no go area anymore, companies are picking up licenses to produce not just movie stuff but original trek stuff too. there's no reason for DST's sales in Star Trek to be as bad as they claim they are unless DST are doing something wrong.

TOS Wave 5 - you know, it's a blessing for some fans, it's just another wave that disregards the 4 other Star Trek series for others - i think it's time to embrace Star Trek's past because to be honest this movie is one big mother F-ing advert for Star Trek - DST have to capitalize on it.

Kruge. Maltz.

Never saw any advertising for those figures, and not everyone who likes collecting Trek will visit here or even know here even exists.

#52 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Mar 15 2009, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like ALL of the TOS wave 5 figures, including the arched eyebrow Spock. It would be great if this Spock had a molded torso instead of the rubber shirt. I see this as a thank you wave because it has so many fan requested figures in it.

I agree. I may not be the president of the "We want a Nurse Chapel" club, but as a member, and one who honestly never thought it was going to happen, I see it as a big "Thank You"! I'm even more pleased to see another version of McCoy coming... and the Romulan and Kirk in Romulan disguise completely took me by surprise!

If buying an extra Casual duty Kirk and Spock is what it takes to get me those 4 then sign me up!

And as people have pointed out this casual duty Kirk, is technically a different uniform from the previous one. Finally, they have new head sculpts and I think they look great!

I can see people picking up multiple of the Romulan and Kirk Romulan to make more Romulan's or to make a Sarrak custom.

I think it's a strong wave!

#53 pickard

pickard

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Mar 15 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never saw any advertising for those figures.

When would you have DST advertise the figures? 9-18 months before they hit stores?

You never saw any advertising for those figures? That's a really good thing. Because, otherwise, DST would've wasted a good amount of money to get you all worked up about figures you may never get the chance to purchase.

How much advertising does any toy company do for their figures when they're just showing them to retailers? Do you see a bunch of ads in magazines in comic books tied to the figures' introduction at Toy Fair?

...and not everyone who likes collecting Trek will visit here or even know here even exists

Thanks for letting me know that. I'm not sure why you felt you needed to, but thanks just the same. rolleyes.gif

#54 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

I'm not sure why people still feel the need to explain things to New Frontier...just let him go off on his little rants so I can skip his posts alone & not all the others that respond to them.

That's rude I know & I have nothing against NF, I'm just getting a bit tired of the same thing day after day. smile.gif

#55 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Mar 10 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
New Frontier I respect your opinion and your right to voice it, however, if as you say, you have given up on buying any of their product, I'm not sure I get the point of the posting in so many different threads. I think as always that voting with your money is how one votes the loudest and you are making a loud vote by not buying anything. I ask this in no way to be mean, but since are not buying anything they make, is the point of your posting to try to inform others not to buy as well? Perhaps it's fix what I want and I'll start buying them again? I would like very much to understand.

Again let me ask this I grow tired of threads being ran off topic. I have been nice and explained myself when I do not feel that an explanation was needed. Since we are off topic again in a thread that I asked nicely that we stay on topic, please help to understand before I close this one.

#56 X-Ray

X-Ray

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

Anyway, to get us back on topic, anybody have any ideas for what the Wave 5 components could be used for in future? Obviously the Romulan Commander head could be used for a Sarek, but what else?

#57 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:16 AM

I don't think people really understand that with the exception of Chapel, All of these figures have NEVER been released before, not even by Playmates and they released a MILLION Variants of every character. The 1st Season Casual Kirk, Romulan Commander, M-113 Salt Creature, and Sickbay McCoy never saw the light of day (except for McCoy in minimate format) but I do see it as a thank you personally.

Romulan Kirk and Chapel are the only two exceptions, and even then the Romulan Kirk was only produced in a 12" format as a Star Trek Communicator Exclusive, so it wasn't widely released. I think we are lined up for a good wave!

#58 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:35 AM

I know I've said this before but I live the look of the Romulan commander and the Salt Vampire, and will very likely try and pick up one of each, and if they release a Sarek variant I will likely grab that up too!

SS

#59 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:42 AM

I'm most interested in the Salt Vamp. I have photos of her from back oh I don't know 2003 or so.

#60 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:45 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Mar 16 2009, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm most interested in the Salt Vamp. I have photos of her from back oh I don't know 2003 or so.

Yeah she has been MIA for years now! I want the whole wave =) I am a sucker for any figures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users