• Please log in to reply
655 replies to this topic

#1 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

Well I thought I'd start this topic to talk about TOS Wave 5, I was watching some of the classic episodes this evening and Charlie X had both the Casual Kirk and the Sickbay McCoy in it.

One of my concerns for the Sickbay McCoy figure is if they are going to give the shirt a metalic look, because his shirt looks more shiny like it is made of a silky material as opposed to cotton.

Also I like the fact that the M-113 Salt Vampire is going to be the old AA Sculpt (if they find it), I really liked the look of it.

The Romulan Commander is a DEAD ringer for Mark Leonard, and I bet we'll easily get a Sarek variant from the head sculpt.

I think Chapel Looks pretty good so far from what we've seen.

And I also like the Enterprise Incident 2-pack, but I think it would have been better if they included the female Romulan Commander instead of another Classic Spock, since they are saving by re-using the BoT Romulan Commander Body for Kirk

#2 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:57 AM

I don't collect TOS but even I was actively excited about this wave. I was especially happy for all of the Chapel fans who have been clamoring for this figure, it gives me hope that the TNG line may see a few fan favs pop up! I also really liked the look of the Salt Vampire and the Romulan Commander Figure! I may pick up the Salt Vampire (it just looked cool!) and a Romulan Commander to do a Sarek custom (unless they release a Sarek, then I may just pick him up instead!)

SS

#3 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

I am really excited about this wave. I have been, like many others, begging and pleading for a Romulan figure. Sickbay McCoy and Chapel too. The Kirk was a great surprise and if they actually do make the Salt Vampire I will really be pleased. I never thought we'd see a full wave of new TOS again but as a TOS die hard I am more than pleased.

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:16 AM

No doubt! This is an exciting wave, and I think DST is putting the "TOS Sells" to the test here by basically giving us a wave of (admittedly) second string characters or versions of characters.

I'm pretty excited about it!

Looking at the figures my biggest disappointment is the use of a Ball and socket in the shoulders instead of a pin & hinge.

On the plus side, the McCoy sculpt appears to have a waist POA, and as such I'm hoping that DST molded a new lower body for the TOS Casual Kirk and McCoy so that the figure can move at the waist. It really is an Important POA!

I like the sculpt of the casual duty Kirk and the tunic looks to be more accurate then the original AA version.

If it's truly and better version I will gladly replace my older one, but I suspect that I may want to create a custom version if it's not.

#5 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Mar 11 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the sculpt of the casual duty Kirk and the tunic looks to be more accurate then the original AA version.

If it's truly and better version I will gladly replace my older one, but I suspect that I may want to create a custom version if it's not.

This is the alternate Casual Shirt Kirk isn't it? The one that was seen in the first season before the other Green Wrap Around uniform (the one that AA originally produced) was introduced?

I've been thinning out my collection a lot recently and have sold most of my TOS stuff (in favor of collecting 24th century Trek which I grew up watching) but there are a couple of must haves in here for me.

The Romulan figures are something I've been waiting for since AA/DST got the line. I LOVE the Romulans, they're my absoloute favourite bad guys and I can't wait to have a couple in my collection.

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

The new casual duty Kirk and Romulan Kirk look amazing. I will definately be getting them along with the Romulan Commander. I will wait to see McCoy and Chapel in person before picking those up. Nice wave altogether.

#7 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

Every other character in this wave is awesome...
But, as far as McCoy, Kirk, and Spock...not so excited.
Is there no limit to the number of Kirks they will produce while leaving other great options unexplored?
McCoy looks like a fairly easy custom job that someone obsessed with a bare-armed version could make themselves.
Spock with an eyebrow raised? Come on. Even if there is more to it than just a paint change, still, that's also an easy custom job for those who care.
At least when they made a smirking Data head, they made a new body and Lore was actually a different character.
At least with "Khaaan!" Kirk, the head sculpt is quite unique.

In the "Q&A" the other day, did everyone see this:
5) Yes more TOS is POSSIBLE if the sales are strong, but this wave was very much intended to be a “thank you” and a “we listen” to the fans of TOS that felt AA left them a little short , so we tried to do all the top fan choices we could in this wave.

Sounds like this could be the last new TOS wave, if not forever then for awhile. And sounds like they are claiming this wave includes the "top fan choices". Does anybody really believe that the top fan choices included these Kirk/Spock/McCoy variants? Perhaps they intend for them to be "insurance" in the wave to help propel the all-new characters, but I think that it could end up working either way -- helping or hurting. What will they do if those 3 fail to sell? Use it as justification for never revisiting TOS ever again, regardless of the other figures' sales?

Still, I guess they probably have to include at least one or two main characters in each wave. Especially if this wave is possibly going to go out to TRU. Then again, TRU seems to have plenty of Kirks/Spocks on the shelves that could be mixed in with this wave...

#8 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

You know, its a nice wave. If it is their last TOS wave though, what else do they have to do? they've pretty much said that DS9, Voyager and the Kruge & Maltz 2 pack are not going to be made any time soon, TNG is all but done with bar the USS Enterprise - D - could this TOS wave be the death knell for Trek figures? I mean Chuck goes on about them not selling, i guess as Chuck said the Borg figures are again testing the waters to see if more expensive figures can sell?

Anyway.

I think out of this wave i am tempted to get the Salt Vampire. since this was the only figure in wave 3 of the AA line up that was missing but to be honest, as Whirlygig said, the others (Bar the Romulan Commander) are pretty easy for people to customise if so wished for.

#9 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Mar 11 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could this TOS wave be the death knell for Trek figures?

A very good question. I wondered this myself for the same reasons as you. Maybe the ships and tech are doing way better for them than the figures and they intend to slow down/stop the figures. We hear a lot about what doesn't sell well....have we ever heard much about what does?

#10 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Whirlygig @ Mar 11 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A very good question. I wondered this myself for the same reasons as you. Maybe the ships and tech are doing way better for them than the figures and they intend to slow down/stop the figures. We hear a lot about what doesn't sell well....have we ever heard much about what does?

I think it's a bit soon to sound the death knell - we don't know what kind of bounce the TOS line will receive from the new movie. I'm more of a TMP fan but I will definitely be buying several Chapel figures for my TMP and TWoK customs! Just need Janice now - I'm keeping fingers crossed for an Enemy Within two-pack...

#11 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

Is a pic of the Salt Vampire up yet?

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Actually neither of those figures are "easy" to customize. For the Spock figure, one of the hardest things to do in customizing is painting faces. Changing an expression and making it look right is a skill only the best customizers have. I sadly am not that good. As for McCoy in scrubs, it would take considerable work to even get it to look passable. First the MM Kirk arms would have to be used and transfered onto a standard body. One would have to scuplt sleeves onto the arms. From there one could leave the old shirt design which would not be screen accurate or find a way to scuplt the new deatils on it. All in all neither job would be one that I would want to undertake so I am extremely happy that DST choose to produce these two figures. I'll say this....they could have easily thrown in the same Spock or McCoy into the waves/packs and not made any change. Then I think we would hear real complaining. The way they decided to go is not only satifactory with me but preferable.

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

Yep, painting eyes are tough!

I really doubt this is the end of TOS DST trek... especially if the new movie garners interest from the more casual fan.

I was surfing some of the threads from a few years back... before DST had actually announced the TWOK line...

And people were really asking for movie figures. Especially TOS movie figures! The thing I found interesting was that it seemed people were asking for basically anything BUT TWOK! I happen to think starting with TWOK was the right move... but that's getting off topic...

Something else I've seen people ask for are more "Recurring" TOS characters!

If TOS wave 5 sells well, then maybe, DST can work a Lt Leslie or Dr. M'Benga into a wave with another Kirk & Spock?

Or... how 'bout more Dress uniforms!

Ok I digress! Back on topic!

I think Wave 5 looks great, and I'm looking forward to it doing well so that we will see a wave 6!

#14 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'm ready for some "Tholian Web" figures!!

#15 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

It is an excellent wave. I'll be buying them all.

Pics - Cool Toy Review (from memory)

An 'Enemy Within' 2-pack of Kirk & Rand would be the icing on the cake. smile.gif

#16 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Scotty in dress uniform would make a great SDCC exclusive set. I don't believe any other series regulars ever appeared in dress uniform on the series. Maybe have Marla McGivers be the give-away using the new Chapel body. Maybe even have Rand as the giveaway if they don't want to do a Kirk/Rand two-pack.

#17 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (Sybeck1 @ Mar 11 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is a pic of the Salt Vampire up yet?

Go to the NFC Ref Page, I have pix of it under Unreleased TOS

#18 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Mar 12 2009, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Scotty in dress uniform would make a great SDCC exclusive set. I don't believe any other series regulars ever appeared in dress uniform on the series. Maybe have Marla McGivers be the give-away using the new Chapel body. Maybe even have Rand as the giveaway if they don't want to do a Kirk/Rand two-pack.

Scotty did a few times I believe. spock2.gif

#19 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:59 AM

If we were to get a Series 6 I would want for sure Rand, and Maybe Lt. Kyle over the other two Gotheno mentioned. And then I'd want for Aliens, maybe Ruk, Mugato or a TOS Andorian, and Guest Stars Edith Keeler, Harry Mudd,

#20 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:12 AM

I think a better wave would have been:

Mugato
Salt Vampire
Romulan Commander
Nurse Chapel
Romulan Kirk (different body to Romulan Commander)

it would have looked fantastic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users