• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#1 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:20 PM

I think we need a place to bitch about how bad Discovery is. 

I promise I won't defend it... in fact I'll help just to be a sport! 

Save anything good you have to say about it for the other threads... take no prisoners here!

So to kick it off... here's a link to Petition to Cancel ST DISCO before it even aired... and it makes some damn good points!

Dear CBS:  

How dare you?  

Don’t you realize that the most stress-inducing, anxiety-provoking, cruel thing that you can do to a Star Trek fan is to announce that you are going to give us a new Star Trek series?  

I speak for all Star Trek fans (as will the next guy who comes along, albeit with totally different views) when I say that we know exactly what we want in a Star Trek series. We want it to be socially relevant, action-packed, and set during Captain Kirk’s original five-year mission.  Except that we also want it to be not-too-preachy, not-too-much-action, and set one hundred years after the Dominion War.

There is one thing that we all know, with 100% certainty, and that is this:

You are going to screw it up.  

For this reason, we demand that you cancel the new series now, 14 months before we will ever see what it might have looked like.  

In the few short days since you announced the new series, you have thrown small pockets of the internet into total chaos. See for yourself!  (We apologize in advance for ultra-nerdy made-up terms like “nuTrek,” “Abramsverse,” and “JJTrek.”  Try to sift through that shit as best you can.)  Fans have rushed to their keyboards to correct other fans as to what is or is not “real” Trek.  And whatever it is, you don’t get it.

We now have more than enough information to know that this series is going to be crap.

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

I assume this is supposed to be a series thread, but that quote is a joke, right?

#3 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

That was a quote from the link... and I think the link was a bit "tongue in cheek"... but I took it to be satirically serious.... if there is such a thing. 

but yeah... I figured even those of us supporting or generally liking DISCO have our issues... and this way folks that really have issues can just let loose and feel good about it. 

#4 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

I haven't read anything online about Star Trek: Discovery giving viewers cancer... but I haven't read anything about it NOT giving viewers cancer.

And let's be honest; having to pay for CBS All Access just takes money away from cancer treatments. This show clearly promotes cancer. And spores!

#5 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

Oddly... I saw something about how breast cancer is caused by fungus... and since spores are fungus... Discovery may be promoting cancer more directly than we think. You might be on to something there. 

#6 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

Those libtard bastards! Bad enough they try to make us pay for this crappy show I haven't seen. Then they try to force their SJW LGBTQ PC agenda down our throats! Now they're openly promoting CANCER?!

I'm tempted to buy a Discovery product and burn it in protest on the YouTube.  :angry:

#7 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

Good luck finding any merch from this shit show, the commbadges are metal and wont even burn!

#8 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

Anovos has all kinds of overpriced garbage you can pre order.... or we can all buy one of these DISCO T's off StarTrek.com and burn it... kinda like women did with bras in the 60's

Z1CTSTK221.jpg

#9 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

I want that horrible shirt more than any other shirt. 

#10 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

I bet the apparel gives you a rash. 

#11 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Since Discovery is pro cancer, the shirts just gives you cancer. 

#12 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

They are probably soaked in cancer causing fungus. 

Also... I'm pretty sure that CBS/Paramount was acquired by the Umbrella Corp. Its probably why the show has no moral basis.  

#13 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Star Trek Discovery is an anagram for Sky Server Dictator, which describes the fascist agenda of greedy CBS All Access perfectly!

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

That must be code for the red queen controls CBS.

#15 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

This is fun. We should start a thread about how TOS is ruining Star Trek.

#16 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

Compared to The Orville, Star Trek: Discovery sucks as a Star Trek show. Thats its biggest downfall.

I think he perfect Star Trek show for 2018 would be a combination of Discovery and Orville. The optimistic, everyday humans in space experiencing episodic storylines nature of Orville, mixed with the scope and scale of Discovery.

Its really sad that a non Star Trek show is doing a better job at being a Star Trek show than Star Trek.

Its second biggest problem is that I dont think anyone who has worked on Star Trek in the past 12 years truly understands what the show needs. Its far too occupied trying to be something else and really begs the question as to why CBS didnt just do something else...

That being said. I think Discovery has a lot of great things about it and if it learns from The Orville AND from Star Treks of the past then itll be an incredible show because it has so much of Star Trek canon to play with.

#17 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:21 PM

Discovery has exactly zero great things. Zed. Nada. Zilch. I have to take penicillin every time I watch an ad for it on Facebook or I get syphilis.

#18 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

The quality of Discovery though is unparalleled. Its got a ton of potential and really I can see it evolving into the quintessential Star Trek television experience because the people doing the show will learn from the mistakes made and craft a path that is closer to what people love Star Trek being.

The one thing about Star Trek in this 12 year period is that it hasnt necessarily stopped being Star Trek, its that its just left so much of what made Star Trek absolutely one of a kind fantastic, behind, and thats just not cool.

Im going to use Spider-Man here as an example. Sony have done great things with that character but arguably (because lets face it all film is subjective) the most successful iteration of that character on the big screen was the one that stayed true to the original material, that paid attention to what and who spider man is rather than pandering to what spiderman should be.

Homecoming was a faithful version of that character and that universe. It was something new and exciting but all the while
It knew what it was and where it had come from. It didnt play fast and loose with peoples ideas of what Spider-Man should be, it respected that character.

The Orville does a better job at respecting Star Trek and he ideas and objectives of a Star Trek story. Discovery, whilst being a brilliant series, tries to make us like the idea of Star Trek being something different to what it was originally. Where Star Trek: Discovery works is when it gives up on trying to be something else and really goes and does something that is instantly identifiable as Star Trek. The Mudd episode being one of the better Star Trek type stories.

I'm sticking with Discovery, Im buying the merchandise and Im loving it, but it is failing on multiple levels at giving us what we want on a regular basis; a Star Trek story.

#19 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

I guess to put it simply:

Star Trek: Discovery takes itself far too seriously.

Wheres the fun gone? Wheres the humanity? The great thing about Star Trek of the past and of Orville is that it deals with serious topics but in a way that doesnt suck the fun out. Theres humanity in past Treks and the Orville. Discovery is too bleak and dark. Thats not Star Trek and certainly not the mission Star Trek should be on.

The reason Id rather be on any other ship than the USS Discovery, isnt because the characters are badly acted or written, its because everyone seems so miserable. Thats a sad state for Star Trek to be in and I hope to god the direction Discovery is going in is one where theyre not all miserable or at each others throats but actually acting like human beings and experiencing a broad range of emotions rather than just shock and awe.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

I have to take penicillin every time I watch an ad for it on Facebook or I get syphilis.

You need a good add blocker! 

I'm sticking with Discovery, Im buying the merchandise and Im loving it, but it is failing on multiple levels at giving us what we want on a regular basis; a Star Trek story.

save that sappy puppy love stuff for one of the other threads ;-) 

Star Trek: Discovery takes itself far too seriously.

Wheres the fun gone? Wheres the humanity? The great thing about Star Trek of the past and of Orville is that it deals with serious topics but in a way that doesnt suck the fun out. Theres humanity in past Treks and the Orville. Discovery is too bleak and dark. Thats not Star Trek and certainly not the mission Star Trek should be on.

The reason Id rather be on any other ship than the USS Discovery, isnt because the characters are badly acted or written, its because everyone seems so miserable. Thats a sad state for Star Trek to be in and I hope to god the direction Discovery is going in is one where theyre not all miserable or at each others throats but actually acting like human beings and experiencing a broad range of emotions rather than just shock and awe.

Now you have the spirit of this thread! I hate to say it but Picard and Janeway were also wound pretty tight.

Kirk and Sisko knew how to have some fun... and so did their crew...

Even the party on Discovery it seemed everyone was wound too tight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users