#23 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:42 PM

Interesting article on box office mojo.

http://www.boxoffice...?id=3686&p=.htm

I didn't see any spoilers in it since its talking about box office numbers.

The thing that worries me is paramount put 190 million into Star Trek into darkness, which was 50 million more then the 2009 effort. However, it looks like they are expecting a return of right around 200 million, which is about 50 million less than the 2009. So basically it's a 100 million gap!

If they only make 10 million on it they may look at it as a failure.

Apparently the stats suggest that the previous effort did a better job reaching women and a younger audience (under 25).

I find this odd because I thought getting the younger crowd was exactly what JJ was going for...

#24 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

I really loved this movie. Very good mix of action and character development. 

The only thing that I did not like was the fact that Scotty could basically walk as free as he wanted to on the Vengance. That would not be very realistic.

BTW, I have been reading the IDW ongoing Comic and it was cool to see the interatction of Spotty and Keenser remain the same as it was in the comic. 

They cleared that up by saying that it was small crew or something to that effect.  That and the ship was so big.  I see your point though.

#25 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:21 PM

Spoiler

#26 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

VulcanFanatic, which are your favorite and least favorite Star Trek movies?

#27 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Just saw it, thought it was fantastic. I enjoyed it more then the first one.

Spoiler

#28 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#29 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

VulcanFanatic, which are your favorite and least favorite Star Trek movies?

Spoiler

#30 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

Spoiler

That shot you mentioned looked exactly like the other shot you described in your spoiler to me as well, still a pretty cool one...not as good as the similiar shot in the begining of the movie....that one was EPIC and to coin Scotty "brought a tear to me eye" 

I went and saw it again tonight and I think i really like it. Cumby was just epic all the way around. One thing i forgot to mention about when i saw it last time was 

Spoiler

#31 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

Finally went and saw it Sunday night. I will say that I enjoyed this one more than the 2009 movie, AND I felt like this one also had more "heart" to it than the 2009. However I still feel like it's missing a Trek "soul". 

It was a a wonderful romp of an action/adventure SciFi movie. And there were TONS of little bones/snippets tossed for the enjoyment of the old guard fans. I would recommend seeing it to anyone. But it's still not a "Trek" movie to me. 

#32 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

That shot you mentioned looked exactly like the other shot you described in your spoiler to me as well, still a pretty cool one...not as good as the similiar shot in the begining of the movie....that one was EPIC and to coin Scotty "brought a tear to me eye" 

I went and saw it again tonight and I think i really like it. Cumby was just epic all the way around. One thing i forgot to mention about when i saw it last time was 

Spoiler

Spoiler

#33 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Spoiler

That would make sense...but yeah i thought that was a homage they were paying with that. Looked pretty freakin cool. Gotta love little Easter Eggs like that, that not your average person would get. Only us Die Hard fans ;)

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

Were coming into a 3 day (Memorial Day) Holiday weekend domestically, typically a hot movie will do about 50% of its opening gross, but hopefully with the extra day it will pull more in!

The current breakdown is

Theatrical Performance Domestic Box Office $103,773,288 International Box Office $80,500,000 Worldwide Box Office

$184,273,288

So, we should see another 40 to 50 mil domestically. That would get the box office gross above the production cost, which would be good.

From the descriptions, the analysts seem to think Fast & Furious 6 might actually take a bite out of Trek. I think it'll be interesting to see.

#35 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

The good news is The Hangover has gotten bad reviews.  Of course that didnt stop people from seeing the second one.  Also the comic book is picking right up after the movie.  The art is fantastic from the previews I saw.

#36 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

So, we should see another 40 to 50 mil domestically. That would get the box office gross above the production cost, which would be good. 

As a side note, the studio only gets 50% of the box office so to profit it needs to be at least 2x production/marketing costs.

#37 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

As a side note, the studio only gets 50% of the box office so to profit it needs to be at least 2x production/marketing costs.

I dont think that 50% take is necessarily accurate. I think the theater chain and studio negotiate the amount they each get and it depends on how many weeks it has played the amount the theater gets to keep. The Theater might not get to keep any of the box office receipts for the first week, or maybe 10 % or whatever the negotiated rate is. If the movie sticks around for 8 weeks, the theater may get 50 to 60%, but by then attendance has fallen off so much that the receipts are not that great. Thats why you pay $8 for popcorn and $6 for a beverage. The local Regal is giving away a free Ironman comic this weekend to people who see Ironman 3, and i am betting that by now their percentage of box office receipts is good if they can get anyone to see the movie again after it being out for weeks now.

The thing here that i marvel at is why people care how much money a movie rakes in, like its the score in a ballgame. Everything seems to be a competition in the US.

#38 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Well, Its kind of important because if it can't make enough cash then the studio wont make more, I think people just naturally keep score in all kinds of things, not just sports. 

#39 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I also cant help but think that the name "Into Darkness" didnt help grab peoples attention.  It was a weird name in my opinion.

#40 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yeah,I was in Raleigh,NC last weekend and got the Iron Man comic ticket thing when we went to see ST and IM3 on Saturday. Great fun! Love Raleigh. Went to the usual stores and just had a great weekend there again. Saw very little in the way of ST toys though,from the new movie,saw plenty of stuff from Trek in general though. NEAT!

J-R!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users