• Please log in to reply
3700 replies to this topic

#3001 Scott Nixon

Scott Nixon

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

I just got the e-mail as well about the USS Enterprise Oversized Special coming.  I had to cancel it because I didn't realize it was part of my subscription and so had bought one from the Eaglemoss Shop when it came out.

#3002 Scott Nixon

Scott Nixon

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

And just today I got an e-mail saying issues 98 & 99 are coming.  So what happened to 93, 96, and 97?

#3003 Scott Nixon

Scott Nixon

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

To Whirlygig about your statement: "I have been wondering about the jumbos...will they have similar issues? I wouldnt want to spend that amount on a large ship and have those issues."

My jumbo Enterprise has about half of the windows "off" from the indentations (slightly-to-moderately off--nothing blatantly off or I would have complained).  That combined with the picture I saw of the jumbo Enterprise-D with the same problem is why I've decided to skip all the rest of the jumbos--because as you pointed out, I don't like spending that kind of money for something that has flaws.  I can live with the smaller versions having some flaws, but not these big & expensive versions.

#3004 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

So eaglemoss are relaunching the Star Trek Starships subscription! Hopefully some of the issues with the first run will be rectified with this second run.

It's good news nevertheless as it shows real success and confidence in this Eaglemoss Star Trek range.

Looking forward to the Discovery part works.

#3005 Starfleet Doc

Starfleet Doc

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

Relaunching when theyre out of stock on so many issues? What specific details were mentioned and where?

#3006 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

They aren't really out of the early issues, I imagine by the time they get to the issues that are out of stock they should hopefully be caught up.

#3007 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:20 AM

Ben tweeted this earlier:

7bobtDe.jpg

Eaglemoss making the other Defiant it seems, and it glows in the dark. :)

#3008 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

Another tweet, another ship: USS Chekov!

DCS6vSlXoAA1YP_.jpg

Springfield class, from the debris of Wolf 359 - gorgeous! :D

#3009 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

So I've got the jumbo D. It's nice, there's something a little off about the proportions and shapes, especially around the main deflector dish but it's a solid model and would look fantastic on your desk or shelf or sideboard at home.

I can't help feel a little disappointed with it though. There are problems with the window placement on the underside of the saucer, I mean blatantly just windows applied to the hull. They're not even anywhere near the windows. Everywhere else seems fine though and wisely, they seem to have chosen not to sculpt in a lot of the windows meaning that the windows on the top of the saucer and elsewhere, no such huge misalignment issues seem obvious.

There's the same amount of diecast to plastic in this model as there is in the miniature version of the ship. Essentially this is a blown up version of issue 1 minus a more accurate colour scheme which is a disappointment, as is it's size... it's just a smudge bigger than the Franklin. I'm not sure how they've justified the huge gulf in price on this one.

I feel like I've been slightly robbed of £49.99. Although this is a weighty ship, it's heavy (perhaps too top heavy) and as you know from the DST thread, weight means quality, and don't get me wrong, this is still a quality piece, the materials don't feel cheap, it does leave me a little disappointed.

Where I feel I've been robbed is the fact that there isn't more diecast in the secondary hull and that there are the same silly mistakes on this as there are on the cheaper models and also that it's the same size roughly as a £23.99 special... how do you justify more than doubling the price?!?

Is it still a nice model? Yes
Is it better than the DST model? Yes
Is it worth £49.99? No

I'm still going to go for the Enterprise E and Voyager after that and so on, because unlike DST, Eaglemoss have shown real passion and excitement over their Star Trek range, there's a real sense of enthusiasm with Eaglemoss and that goes a long long way for me.

#3010 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:25 PM

Love these BoBW ships, this is something I've wanted for 20 years. I hope there's an engineering section underneath that Springfield class, it's kind of ambiguous at this point, but the practical effects model had it. Good stuff, this will motivate me to build a cube to scale with these guys.

#3011 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

Could you show a size comparison pic with the Franklin 1701?

#3012 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:52 AM

Here's a pic of it next to the Jumbo-TOS:

https://scontent-lht...dcb&oe=599EB792

Here's a pic of it in comparison with the Defiant model (in this case, the ISS version - no difference from the USS):

https://scontent-lht...a62&oe=59D9A4D3

#3013 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:19 AM

I've put a picture up on my gallery? Hopefully you see it. If not then there are comparison photos on the eaglemoss fan Facebook page

#3014 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

Wow, that is pretty disappointingly small. 

I will say that I like the paint apps on it, and would love it if DST re-released their D with an aztek paint pattern instead of just having it be sculpted on. 

GPqIQSy.jpg?1

#3015 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

A DST D with those paint apps on it (similar to what they did with the E) would also be an instant-buy for me as well.

#3016 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

For me, the Eaglemoss D is better than the DST D. But apples and oranges really. One is a toy, the other a display piece. As a display piece this has its drawbacks but as a toy the DST D has its drawbacks too.

This model would be perfect if it was made from more diecast and the windows were printed properly.

#3017 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

...and the main impulse was accurate (something that is baffling to me), and the doors to shuttlebays's 2 and 3 were the right size and shape (2 should be just wider than a square, and 3 should be a proper rectangle). Also, I'm not too keen on the shape of the deflector dish on the Eaglemoss version; it's too similar to the CG version seen in the Enterprise finale (horrible version of her). 

DST's model is a 'thicker' version of the 4ft miniature, known as the bulldog. If you compare it to that version of the ship rather than the original (and gorgeous/best looking) 6ft, then it's honestly not too bad.

I think Aoshima's version is the best ready-made model of the D. The impulse engine is accurate, which makes it unique compared to every other model of the ship.

#3018 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:56 AM

...and the main impulse was accurate (something that is baffling to me), and the doors to shuttlebays's 2 and 3 were the right size and shape (2 should be just wider than a square, and 3 should be a proper rectangle). Also, I'm not too keen on the shape of the deflector dish on the Eaglemoss version; it's too similar to the CG version seen in the Enterprise finale (horrible version of her). 

DST's model is a 'thicker' version of the 4ft miniature, known as the bulldog. If you compare it to that version of the ship rather than the original (and gorgeous/best looking) 6ft, then it's honestly not too bad.

I think Aoshima's version is the best ready-made model of the D. The impulse engine is accurate, which makes it unique compared to every other model of the ship.

The main impulse is more accurate than the DST version, the seam on this model ruins the slope from the neck into the secondary hull though.

The doors on the neck are off sure but they are also inaccurate on the DST model.

The deflector dish is off but I think that's actually more to do with the paint application rather than the sculpt. The deflector is orange with a blue glow. Not blue with a gold piece in the centre.

DST's Enterprise D doesn't relate too well with ANY of the filming models. The saucer is too fat, the pylons leading to the nacelles are all wrong, meaning the nacelles sit too low down throwing the whole ship off. The neck slopes too much into the saucer section and the main impulse drive is too low down, forming an incorrect blunt end to the neck going into the secondary hull. There should be a natural curve into the secondary hull and the impulse engine should be slightly higher up.

The printed windows on that DST model are a mess too, the texture leads nothing to improve the model and much of the sculpted detail is either missing (RCS thrusters) or very soft and not defined properly.

The saucer separation feature is neat but leads to bad electronics between the two halves of the ship and when attached, the seam lines are horrific.

As a kids toy it fails because it's to fragile.
As a display piece it fails because it's far too innacurate and poorly put together.
As a collectible it fails because of both reasons.

I'd agree though, the Aoshima D is probably the nicest version.

#3019 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

kh0ZysH.jpg

Eaglemoss left, DST right.

Sorry, but they're both just as guilty with messing up the main impulse engine. This has been a curse with models of the D, ever since the playmates version. The Aoshima version is the only one that correctly shows it. Also, I'd take DST's shuttlebays over Eaglemoss' any day. They're not spot on, but having them both be symmetrical is a big faux pas for me.

I'd love to know why they always seems to show the main impulse engine as looking like a hangar of some kind (as if it's another shuttlebay). For instance, with the playmates Enterprise-E First Contact version, the reason the bussard collectors looked like long fingernails was due to the concept art of the ship at the time (thus it was corrected for the Insurrection version).

With the D's impulse engine however, there's absolutely no concept art showing it as it's been portrayed by so many different toys and models - really baffling.

#3020 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

The nacelles being slightly too low hardly "throws the whole ship off." 

"Poorly put together"

Mine certainly isn't, there are no bad seams on it at all. 

"Fragile"

What? I'd wager the EM ship would break before the DST one would. 

Unless you're incredibly anal about all the intricate details, which most people aren't, you are aren't even going to notice what you're saying is wrong with it. 

The only way the EM D is superior to the DST one for me is with its aztek paint apps. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users