Video of the newly re-issued 1701 (TOS)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

Some of the pros and cons for me:

Pro: That lights-on feature is how it should be done for every ship, from now on - amazing. The ambient bridge sound is a great idea, but would be improved with a slightly longer duration of the sample, as the loop is very quick.

Con: If you think this is nit-picky , that's fine and I'm sorry, but this really sticks out to me due to my love of ships/growing up with people who work in the industry, and for a reason which I'll now make clear. A while ago, on a previous iteration of this model (can't remember which), I noticed that the port and starboard navigation lights were the wrong way round. I didn't post about it in the accompanying thread here, as I hadn't seen anyone else mention it, and knowing how it'd make some people mad, I decided to hold my tongue - for better or worse. :(
So this one also has the same problem, as you'll notice in the video: the port light (red) has been placed on the starboard side of the ship, and vice versa. I know this is a relatively small error, but I can't believe this wasn't noticed and corrected. Not to seem insulting, but could this be an issue with someone suffering from red-green colour blindness?

Have to say though, other than that one error, this seems like a really nice update to the ship. As it isn't my favourite, I can't help but feel envious at the new features that have been included (it seems like the bussard collectors have a slight 'spinning' motion to them which is lovely), and the fact that the navigation lights work, even if they are placed the wrong way round. I only hope any future ships such as the Reliant, Defiant, Voyager, and Enterprise-C (etc etc), will have as much love and attention put into them.

On that topic, it would be amazing to have the port and starboard lights working on the Defiant's nacelles. Just please make sure they're on the correct sides..!

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:12 AM

Impressive.... Really like the new always on feature with sound... Great idea!!

I do agree with you Jay K that it's too bad about the nav lights being reversed :(
Sad they didn't catch that.... Overall though, this looks like a definitive version of the ol' gal !!!

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

Nice update. I like it. It looks good and I like the new feature but I don't think it's enough to get me to buy another version of the TOS Enterprise. I'm very happy with my HD version.
Honestly though I would be happy with just lights and sound effects, I could do without the voice clips all together on all of the ships.

#4 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

No JK,what woulld be amazing is if we get to know what the new Fed ship will be THIS year! THEN I might buy this one. Till then.....I'll just continue being patient and buy nothing.

J-R!

#5 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

I like the new sounds, new light on feature is cool too. 

I won't be buying it thought since I'm happy with my HD Enterprise. 

#6 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

Ill be buying this.  On a side note I saw this on there facebook page.  Reading the comments by some "Fans" ive come to a simple conclusion.  There are more people who are going to bitch and complain then there are people who are more even tempered.  I see why they dont tell any thing about new stuff until is ready to come out.  People have been complaining that the ships dont have a on all the time feature.  Well they put it on the flag ship.  What happens?  People bitch moan and complain about every thing but the nice updates.

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:06 PM

I agree with that statement too...more people will nitpick the hell out of something rather than appreciate the extra things they add to the ships.

#8 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

has anyone made a comparison chart comparing all the different versions of the original series 1701?

#9 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

I like the updates on this one, but I'm happy with my HD edition as well. Looking forward to seeing what the next new Federation ship is. 

#10 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

Love it. The only downside is that there's nothing on the box that informs me that this is the most recent release so if I order one online how do I know I'm getting this version and not the previous version of this ship?

#11 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 26 September 2015 - 07:07 PM

This one appears to be missing the "rust ring" but it retains the grid lines. 

#12 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:19 AM

Just see if it has the lights on feature, if it doesnt then it isnt the current release

#13 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:02 PM

That might be difficult to ascertain without opening the package, as it may not be evident when she's in Try Me mode, BadBunnyMike - the button behaviour is often different.

This is how the HD edition should have been done. The sound selection on it just didn't cut the mustard.

Now I'm wondering where these clean, crisp, isolated and super-contextual Kirk dialogue clips came from? It doesn't sound like a recent Shatner recording - are they discarded recordings from a game? A really, really good impersonator? Or just superbly extracted audio from the show?

I think I had a dream about a lights-on feature exactly like this once, long before I got into collecting DST ships. Bravo!

#14 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

It would most likely say it on the package, and also they have that little sticker that says the sounds and phrases you can match to the video as well

#15 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

It would most likely say it on the package, and also they have that little sticker that says the sounds and phrases you can match to the video as well

#16 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:34 PM

Holy Klingons! This is what I get for not being able to check the forum for awhile even though I'm still collecting! New sounds and an upgrade to the lights on feature? I definitely like this. Did this lose any sounds from the original 1701, and is this meant to be the "HD remaster" version or the original version that's being reissued? I never thought I'd be picking up another 1701 that wasn't a true varient, but DST has convinced me that an upgrade might be in order.

#17 OneAngryDwrf

OneAngryDwrf

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

Greetings All,

Not sure if this has been discussed already or not, but I just found what I am pretty sure is the new 1701 from DST at my local toys r us this evening. It was the only one I saw and did not see a dedicated spot for it, but it was found in the collector's aisle.

I am so pleased to have found it in a regular brick and mortar store. The packaging appears to be smaller than I remember it being the last time I purchased a classic Enterprise.

I'll snap some pics later on tonight. Just wanted to share in case anyone else is hunting for it.

Upon first glance in the package, the paint app looks nice and crisp. It is the lighter gray base coat with the grid pattern stenciled on the saucer. No rust ring from the hd version.

Happy hunting!

OAD

#18 OneAngryDwrf

OneAngryDwrf

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:51 PM

Greetings All,

As promised, here are a few pics of the new 1701 Enterprise I found at TRU earlier this evening. Overall, I am pretty pleased with it. Some of the window paint is a tad sloppy and the front windows on the base of the bridge are unpainted, but honestly, I think it's pretty great. The sound selection on this ship is fantastic. How the "space, the final frontier" monologue has not been included on these toys until now baffles me.

At any rate, here are the pics...

535c0b20c36e505f4f9e5d5e01fa4fe9.jpg

af4d068d92736b4f8d87d280c3e89037.jpg

99c289113a27f8736b818c8ae45b10e7.jpg

0fa4b4686e9bc5a9a2665783bb6479ff.jpg

8b3187d9b68c77d6faaf7412c1ff3f85.jpg

30b78f067fe9c2617f99dfce1a3a9582.jpg

661602b1ac606ea3aefe353d91c01c35.jpg

That's it for now.

Really liking this version. Definitely OAD approved!

Regards,

OAD

#19 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

They took off the rust? Wasn't that actually on the model? 

#20 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:34 AM

The look is essentially the HD look, we just aren't calling it HD anymore. Dialogue sticker will be different, and in a different place. copyright date on the back will say 2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users