• Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

http://www.startrek....on-bird-of-prey

#2 kgrhoad

kgrhoad

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:54 PM

Only 200 being made...but no electronics.  Easy pass.

I do like the looks of the landing gear, can't wait to see a decloaked version with the proper landing gear.

#3 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

I NEED ONE!!!! Who is going to SDCC, That can pick me up one...like seriously. I will paypal them the money RIGHT NOW!

#4 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

Zach, what is going to be the retail on these since there is no Electronics? 

#5 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

I wonder what the main reason is to not have the electronics?  Is it to hard to get new sound boards or are they not able to color some of the cables that go inside.  It is still cool.  I would love to have one.

#6 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

You'd see the circuit boards and wires. There's no way to make those clear or all white. I think it looks really cool, actually. If it's still $55-$60 though it'd be easy to pass.

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

I am guessing they might be in the 40-45 price range... Lets hope Zach can confirm this!!

#8 Hayesimus

Hayesimus

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

I wouldn't pass on one of these if I had the chance. Only 200 made? Who cares what you pay, some yahoo will want to pay you 200 bucks for it lol

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:17 AM

This is the latest example as to why i hate the way the collectors market is now. I still dont see the logic in creating a frenzy among collectors to get that one piece that has a run of only 200. Completists will either take out another mortgage on the house to make sure they get every one of a particular kind of item that they collect or they will become frustrated sometimes to a point of quitting altogether. The extremely limited editions or exclusives that not everyone who collects can obtain have always seemed counter productive to the very businesses that feel like they are using these items to stir up interest in their products. It seems shortsighted on their part, because they are ultimately alienating the very people they are trying to woo in the first place.

#10 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:43 AM

I would think so few are made partly because they don't think a ton of people will want this variant, especially if they already have the two other variants. I think that's part of it.

#11 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

If a completest feels the need to pay through the nose to get one then that is on them. No one is holding a gun to their head. They don't have to buy it. If not being able to get this or another piece causes someone to get mad enough to quit then they should probably look in to another hobby and possibly therapy.

This exclusive is not bad but Its not my thing at all. I really don't like the look of that type of clear plastic model. It looks cheap to me.

That being said if they had done a 7 of 9 figure that was only going to be available at the con I would definitely try and find a way to get one but I would not need it enough to shell out 3 and 4 times as much for it.

#12 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I said this in the other thread, but the biggest take away from this is that the landing gear molding is finished at a production quality.  This is great news!

To me this seems like a small and fun test run for the factory in preparation for full production of the ST3 BOP. Complaining about the small number of the clear plastic "cloaked" BOPs is silly. It's not an item intended for nor that even has the potential for sustainable commercial success.

#13 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

When I saw 'Exclusive Ship' in my RSS feed, my heart sank at the thought of a Lakota, or an NX Excelsior, so without saying this is something bad, I was completely relieved to see it was just a 'cloaked' BoP! Good choice, although it sucks for you Mike (in terms of it being exclusive to comic-con). 

#14 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

SRP on the regular BoP was actually $70, sounds like a lot of people got deals. This one will be $60. No paint, no wiring, but more expensive plastic, a limited run, big boxes and special shipping to the show add up. We aren't trying to gouge anybody.

We made it because it looked cool, and we thought some people might want it, and we only made 200 because that's all we thought we could sell at that price. I understand certain people not wanting it, but I don't think it will frustrate many collectors. I have met few people who buy every Star Trek ship. The Gold TOS Enterprise didn't turn anybody off, that I know of.

And this will not be the only place you will be able to get landing gear, if that is a concern for anybody.

#15 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

And Vulcanfanatic, it's not like this is a unique ship that some fan has been waiting for all this time. This a variant of a variant. There is a regular BoP AND a translucent BoP available at retail. Someone who wants every different ship or has been waiting for one ship in particular should not be adversely affected by this. And I think completists know what they've signed on for. 

#16 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Y-zikes! $60! Well, not totally surprised. But yeah, I think that'll limit the appeal for many.

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

If a completest feels the need to pay through the nose to get one then that is on them. No one is holding a gun to their head. They don't have to buy it. If not being able to get this or another piece causes someone to get mad enough to quit then they should probably look in to another hobby and possibly therapy.

Yes, i agree with you, however, i still think the issue of not serving ALL of their customers by not making ALL of their products accessible to them at regular price is still a valid argument. What if the new Star Trek movie was only released in bluray in California, and in DVD in every other state. You could buy the bluray at Walmart in California for $19.99 as long as you were a California resident. If you ordered from out of state, it cost you $200. Would you feel that the company that released the movie this way was slighting its customers from other states? I think that when the exclusive thing started with Playmates back in the 90's, it killed their line and did so much damage that i doubt we will ever see another successful Star Trek toyline again geared for the masses. Walmart used to have an entire row and a half of Star Trek toys back in the 90's, and they sold well up until the exclusives started. Then when people stopped buying because they had no hope of getting them all, Walmart couldnt hardly give the stuff away. They got burned so bad that they try not to carry any Star Trek other than dvds or blurays. The 2009 figures were treated like they were the plague by walmart and didnt sell well at all.

#18 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

If they don't all sell at SDCC will leftovers be offered for sale on the DST site or somewhere?

I have met few people who buy every Star Trek ship. The Gold TOS Enterprise didn't turn anybody off, that I know of.

Excluding packaging variants and minor re-issues, that and the mirror NX-01 are the only two I don't have only because they are prohibitively expensive.  I guess this will probably be the third I don't get.

I actually think I would have preferred this as the general release to the colored translucent one.

#19 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'll take one please.

#20 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

I understand that its not possible to put sound or effects into it so Im not holding that against any one, but at this point Im not interested.  Im sure it will sell through with no issues at the Con.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users