14 replies to this topic

#1 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

http://tv.ign.com/ar.../1130889p1.html

Frak. It's not shocking, but if you're a fan like me, it's disappointing to learn Syfy has canceled Caprica. The Battlestar Galactica prequel had struggled in the ratings, and with production on Season 1 wrapped long ago, it looked increasingly likely the show wouldn't be back. Syfy recently said they would make a decision on whether the show would be renewed by November 15th (no doubt they had to soon, due to actors' contracts), and now EW.com's Michael Ausiello is reporting they have indeed canceled the series.

This news comes on the heels of Syfy ordering another Battlestar prequel/spinoff, Blood & Chrome. A complaint some had about Caprica was it was too slow-paced and lacked the action elements BSG, despite also being quite a thoughtful series, contained. Blood & Chrome seems designed to counter that, being set during the Cylon War, focusing on a rookie William Adama, long before he becomes Galactica's commander. Discussing Blood & Chrome, Syfy's EVP of Original Programming, Mark Stern stressed that it was "very much an action-adventure, war series."

Right now, Blood & Chrome is only officially ordered as a TV-Movie pilot, with the potential for it to become a full fledged series. Stern said characters from both BSG and Caprica could appear on Blood & Chrome. [Click Here for more on Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome.]

#2 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:58 PM

People forget DS9 started out slow as well, but the payoff was worth it in the end. Too bad people didn't give Caprica a chance. I think it had a lot of potential and it was a nice change from BSG. I think it's always good when you can show different aspects of a particular universe and mythos in a different way.

#3 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 27 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People forget DS9 started out slow as well, but the payoff was worth it in the end. Too bad people didn't give Caprica a chance. I think it had a lot of potential and it was a nice change from BSG. I think it's always good when you can show different aspects of a particular universe and mythos in a different way.

I think SyFy jumped the gun on this one; see my post in the Blood & Chrome thread (didn't realize that this one existed) for more thoughts on Caprica's cancellation and what I think hurt it. I hope Blood & Chrome doesn't suffer the same fate; I have high hopes for it as I did for Caprica prior to the cancellation announcement. What sucks is that the episodes that just aired was easily one of my favorites and then SyFy had to drag out the bad news.

I immediately thought of DS9 as well when I read about this; I think SyFy jumped the gun here; they could have tried to rework the series (they tried with BSG when they shouldn't have and went back to what worked,) before nuking it Cylon style. Part of me thinks that Blood & Chrome may have been developed specifically because Caprica wasn't doing well, and if ratings had picked up, it would have been pushed back until Caprica ended, much the way Caprica kept getting pushed back until BSG ended. It seems like B&C almost gave SyFy an excuse they were looking for to can Caprica, and it's clear that dragging it into 2011 is an attempt to buy time until B&C is ready.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:32 AM

Can I be honest about Caprica?

Snore, snore, zzzzzzzzzzzzz, snore, cough, snore, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL

#5 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:26 AM

Networks never give shows the chance to grow and pick up at its own pace. DS9 was lucky because it was syndicated and TNG helped keep the audience around long enough for it to get going. If DS9 had been on a network, it might have been canceled after it's first season as well. Things didn't get going for that series until the third season. The first two seasons were all character establishment. I know a lot of people who ended up loving DS9 in the end, but had dropped out halfway through the first season and didn't come back until the fourth or fifth seasons.

I agree that Caprica's last couple of episodes are the best to date. The storyline is picking up and you can see the potential directions it could go in are very exciting. Now it will never get the chance to fulfill its potential and I am disappointed that I won't be able to see where these story threads lead. For those who are so hard on Caprica, think about how so many people didn't like DS9 until the third or fourth season or how Enterprise was canceled before its time by UPN just when things started to pick up.

#6 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Oct 29 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I be honest about Caprica?

Snore, snore, zzzzzzzzzzzzz, snore, cough, snore, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL

you are killing me FHC.. it cant be!!!! say it ant so ohmy.gif. this is enterprise all over!!!! mad.gif mad.gif

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 29 2010, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The first two seasons were all character establishment. I know a lot of people who ended up loving DS9 in the end, but had dropped out halfway through the first season and didn't come back until the fourth or fifth seasons.

Yep, I dropped out 1/2 way through the 1st season of DS9, but I picked up a show here and there, and like you say, by Season 3 it was hitting its stride, and season 4/5 are generally considered to be the best... in the end run analysis, I think DS9 ended up being the best overall series of the franchises! So yeah... had they not stuck with it and given it a chance it would never have developed.

#8 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

I am with FHC on this one. I tried and tried. They did a marathon not to long ago and throughout the day I would switch back to it and try to see if it got any better but it didnt. It actually seemed to steadily loose more of my interest and I am the kind of person that can watch just about anything. LOL.

I do feel bad for the fans though. I have had more than enough shows that I loved canceled over the years. The ones that are the worst are the ones that never have a resolution in the end. Here's hoping that the new BSG will have something we all can like and enjoy and talk about.

#9 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7&quot; Star trek action figures.

Star trek &amp; writing fan fiction.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

I'm disappointed. Not the least because I haven't seen Caprica yet because I don't recieve Sky. I thought NuBSG was basically the smartest show on TV, and the best ever sci-fi series by a mile. It was what Star Trek should be, but somehow lacks the cahones to be. I was pumped to see Caprica and I will still get it on DVD. Hopefully it's successor Blood and Chrome will retain what made NuBSG so great - genuinely adult TV with blood, battles, sex, and humanity; themes that were dealt with in a way that engaged the intellect.

#10 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Oct 29 2010, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Networks never give shows the chance to grow and pick up at its own pace.

And, sadly, therein lies the problem of all would-be great shows. sad.gif If you watch any show that lasts beyond 3 seasons, it almost always takes a season or two to pick up steam.

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

I have recently given Caprica another shot with it being on Netflix, and i am actually enjoying it. I am actually amazed that I am saying this since i thought it sucked when it first came out. Not sure what made the difference for me, maybe putting some time between the BSG show and starting out fresh with this show without any preconceptions about what this show should be like. I have had a similar experience with DS9 as well. Disappointed with it initially, then going back later and watching the whole show and loving it. Caprica spends a lot of time fleshing out characters, with less action than BSG seem to have. This show could have gone a long way if it had lasted. Maybe Syfy should have developed Blood and Chrome and Caprica at the same time and had them running as series that complemented each other.

#12 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Oct 14 2011, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have recently given Caprica another shot with it being on Netflix, and i am actually enjoying it. I am actually amazed that I am saying this since i thought it sucked when it first came out. Not sure what made the difference for me, maybe putting some time between the BSG show and starting out fresh with this show without any preconceptions about what this show should be like. I have had a similar experience with DS9 as well. Disappointed with it initially, then going back later and watching the whole show and loving it. Caprica spends a lot of time fleshing out characters, with less action than BSG seem to have. This show could have gone a long way if it had lasted. Maybe Syfy should have developed Blood and Chrome and Caprica at the same time and had them running as series that complemented each other.

Uhg..... Vulcan Fanatic I tried.... but I just couldnt give Caprica a chance....It just seemed silly to me....too contrived perhaps.... That would have been a good idea though to have run BSG: B&C along with Caprica. DS9 on the other hand..... I definitely thought it was brilliant the second time around..... The final season was just plain epic.

#13 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

I watched an Ep and then I watched paint dry. About the same to me LOL. Maybe if I watched them in a row like that it might get better.

#14 Tomparis

Tomparis

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

I agree caprica was a real let down. They had so much potential with that series and wasted it. They should have talked more about the civil war between the 12 colonies or even why the military needed the cylons in the first place after the civil war (maybe they did and I missed it) I just hope blood and chrome is better.

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

i did what VF did (back when I had netfix) and basically watched them all in a row.

I get both arguments... it did move too slow in developing the characters, but it also had some really interesting aspects that were ment to flesh out how cyclons come to be, and why they believe in a one god while the humans believe in many.

part of the thing I thought it suffered from was this need of producers or sysfy execs or whomever to tie all the series together by including the "Adama's" in it.

That was just unnecessary IMO and the story gets fractured by trying to follow too many threads. If the stuck with the development and creating of sentient cyclons I think it would have been more successful.

All that aside, I rather enjoyed it the first time i watched it... but then I tried watching it agin months later and I was back with FHC watching paint dry! And I think thats one of the problems... after seeing it once you just don't care to watch it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users