The next ship

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:09 PM

I am sure we all aware that DST is looking at the NCC-1701 sales to determine if another ship is warranted. In hopes that they do, what do you think the next ship will be?

My guess is on the Enterprise-D. I think it would be cool for the anniversary and would it look amazing in the grand DST style.

I WANT a Voyager next though. She is by far one of my favorite ships. I hope that if DST does continue the ships line, that we at least get the main players. Ent-D, Voyager, and DS9 (wow - that would one be amazing!).

#2 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

I'm not a real fan of the D, but now with the good 7th season TNG figures being produced, it needs to be made. My only hope is one day TWOK-TUC Kirk & crew will be made to poise in front of the A.

I would love to see a Klingon ship also though.

#3 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 12:53 AM

Last year when I went to SDCC, both DSTChuck and Digger had their favorites they would like to see made. For DSTChuck it was the Defiant and Digger would really love to tackle the Klingon BOP. Of course this was totally off the record and both said the same thing, "This is just something I would love to see, it doesn't mean it's going to happen" biggrin.gif I can see it either being the E-D or the Defiant if there is a new ship, going to put in my preorders with Rick on the classic E and wish for the best sleep.gif

#4 Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:30 AM

I would love to see a Klignon Battle Cruiser and/or a BoP to go with the Original Enterprise and the Movie era Enterprise but my money would be on the Ent-D being the next ship.

#5 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:30 AM

With 2007 being the 20th anniversary of TNG, i would say that a Enterprise 1701-D is a virtual shoo in to get made if any ships are made. Logically it should be the next one made seeing how its the Enterprise with the most screen time in history anyway.

#6 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:15 PM

VF is probably right. I wouldn't be suprised if it is the next one up. But I'd like to see an alien craft (a Borg Sphere would rock) or the Defiant at some point down the line.

#7 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

So you think we would get a Defiant before a DS9? I can kinda see that too, but I am hoping they spring for a DS9 with a scale Defiant so you can have it docked at the docking ring.

#8 ECH

ECH

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

That would be cool. Then maybe the Defiant could be in scale with the Enterprise E. Although that might make DS9 too big, which may be why we might see the Defiant before DS9.

#9 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

Oh no, I don't mean scale to the other ships, just in scale to the DS9 station.

#10 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 05:34 PM

I think that a Defiant would be produced before a DS9., simply because DST would think more people, even DS9 fans would be apt to spend on a ship before a space station. I would almost bet money that if another ship is produced, it will be a 1701 -D. After that is anyones guess. If the ships sell well enough for DST, i think we will see a Defiant and maybe a Voyager, but a Klingon BOP or other Alien ships are less likely to be made i think unless DST plans to step up production on ships faster than they are now and release more than one ship at a time. They seem to be very cautious now with ships and all i have read seems to indicate that sales of the 1701- E havent been as brisk as they would like.

#11 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 27 2006, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They seem to be very cautious now with ships and all i have read seems to indicate that sales of the 1701- E havent been as brisk as they would like.

Its weird how much the fans have lost interest in the line. I'm not sure if it is the fact that there is no Trek on the air or that fans are just disillusioned. I thought the Ent-E had done well, but I've been hearing the same things about its lackluster sales. Maybe the 1701 will bring things around again.

#12 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

I think some collectors would be more apt to buy ships if there were more than just one ship at a time released. It took what seemed like more than two years to get the 1701- E finally released after the 1701 -A came out. With playmates it might be a month in between releases. I know these are different companies but if you look at the Johnny Lightning sets, they sell like hotcakes because there is variety and more than one ship at a time released. I know they are much cheaper too, so that may be a factor as well.

#13 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

Something to consider also VF is JL is a much larger company than DST is. They certainly have more pull in insuring their product hits actually brick and mortar stores, as where DST is only seen in specialty shops, comic book shops and online stores wink.gif So they don't have as much muscle to push out ships like JL. While I am suprised at the news of lackluster sales of the E-E, I'm not suprised their putting out one ship at a time. Just because they've only announced the 1701 so far, doesn't mean they don't have several things in the works.

#14 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Aug 27 2006, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something to consider also VF is JL is a much larger company than DST is. They certainly have more pull in insuring their product hits actually brick and mortar stores, as where DST is only seen in specialty shops, comic book shops and online stores wink.gif So they don't have as much muscle to push out ships like JL. While I am suprised at the news of lackluster sales of the E-E, I'm not suprised their putting out one ship at a time. Just because they've only announced the 1701 so far, doesn't mean they don't have several things in the works.

Yeah, I don't mind the one ship at a time, but I do want more ships though. Also, Donster are you hinting at something there in your last line? A simple yes or no will suffice. wink.gif

We know that DST is still up in the air over the ship line. If Paramount plays it right and does the anniverssary stuff big ... maybe the toys will have some luck and people will start picking them up. DSTs advertising department needs to get with Paramount about putting them in the loop.

I so need a toy company job! laugh.gif

#15 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(The_Donster @ Aug 27 2006, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something to consider also VF is JL is a much larger company than DST is. They certainly have more pull in insuring their product hits actually brick and mortar stores, as where DST is only seen in specialty shops, comic book shops and online stores wink.gif

I actually think there are more JL ships sold via the internet than in brick and mortar stores. Out of the many, many stores we have here, i have only seen two ships ever in a brick and mortar store. Seems like Toysrus only gets one set of the ships and they may never even make it to the shelves. Online sales make up most of the sales i think.

#16 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(slayerone76 @ Aug 27 2006, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I don't mind the one ship at a time, but I do want more ships though. Also, Donster are you hinting at something there in your last line? A simple yes or no will suffice. wink.gif

We know that DST is still up in the air over the ship line. If Paramount plays it right and does the anniverssary stuff big ... maybe the toys will have some luck and people will start picking them up. DSTs advertising department needs to get with Paramount about putting them in the loop.

I so need a toy company job! laugh.gif

There are so many factors that play into it when you are trying to compare the DST ships to the JL ships and even to the Playmates ships.

The main reason for the delay between the E-A and the E-E is that AA was having a very rocky time in the interim before DST too k over the license. Then, after DST took the license, they had to settle into the way the line had to be run. There were growing pains and those pains contineued even during the production of the E-E, marked by the miscommunications that omitted the play cover from the ship.

The JL ships are a different beast. They are smaller, with no electrronics. They take a bit less time in development, so they can take the same amount of time to develop a wave of 6 ships as DST/AA has to take to develop one ship. JL probably has a bit more resources and manpower which, again, can give them an edge in the same time frame.

Playmates, again, was a much larger compnay than DST with far more resources. They catered regularly to large retail chains. Hence they were able to crank out more stuff, more regularly, and in greater quantities.

Really, it's not all that fair to compare these three entities. Things are differeent. The type of company producing the toys is different, the retail demand is different, the customer base is different, the entire market for these toys is different.

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

Its a good thing we have you here Knightone to continually show us how wrong we are about everything and how you are right. Guess we would just flounder here in our own ignorance.

#18 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Aug 27 2006, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a good thing we have you here Knightone to continually show us how wrong we are about everything and how you are right. Guess we would just flounder here in our own ignorance.

I'm just trying to present alternate points of view. I never said mine was the only or the right opinion. I'm just trying to get people to look at things from all angles. The view can look a lot different when you are standing somewhere else. I just want everyone to be more understanding and open-minded.

#19 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

I would agree with alot of what Knightone said. Alot of Playmates success had to do with the fact that TNG was such a huge hit at that point. The classic crew had just finished or were about to finish their movie run-TNG was still moving forward and there was Star Trek everywhere. I remember QVC used to dedicate several hours to Star Trek merchandise alone, usually with a guest from the show.
Playmates moved in and explored the often neglected action figure aspect of Trek and bascially hit it out of the park for the time.

Fast forward to when AA had the license. Some of the best Star Trek products ever produced, but they had just been hammered by Paramount insisting that they start with Enterprise instead of Classic figures. From what I read that hit set AA back and they bascially had to play catch up so their entire company didn't go under. That was when development problems seemed to begin along with mfr. delays, product delays etc. With all of these delays many collectors got fed up and start dropping off from the hobby out of frustration.

Diamond comes in specializinig in speciality lines like Buffy and figure there is a niche here they can develop. However they have alot of "repairs" they have to make to get the Trek license out there and moving. Even if they decide to stop producing ships for awhile I wouldn't be surprised to see them revisit the line at some point and try it out again.

What I'm curious about is if this Abrams Star Trek idea actually comes about...who will get the license. Will Paramount go to Hasbro or some other company to produce mass-market figures while Diamond produces more collectible stuff? If vehicles are done I wonder who would get to produce the amped up Gen X (or whatever generation we're in now) version of the Enterprise? Considering in Star Trek the ships are as much of an important character as the actual human characters, I would find it hard to believe there would be a) no mass market action figures and b)no toy of the ship.

#20 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

Slayerone76, the answer to your question is no, I don't have any more information than anyone else at the moment. I'm just trying to remain optimistic when it comes to the Trek license, like most on both forums. To be honest, I think we are lucky to have folks onboard that are looking at different avenues and actually seem to have a grasp on the situation, both past and present wink.gif While some of us might not be happy with some of the decisions DST or anyone else has made with the Trek license, let's not try and turn this personal gang. Remember, without input from every angle a forum becomes stagnant and dies like a grape on the vine. So let's keep those creative juices flowing without taking potshots at each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users