Current estimated worth of the MEGO figures

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, writing & collecting various things.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

So here's what's up:

I'm going to a toy fair next week, where they will be selling all kinds of classic as well as new toys. It's my first time there, but a friend of mine has been there before and he says he's always seen at least one MEGO figure on card laying around on his visits. I don't own any of the MEGO figures yet, not even a lose one, so I have a hard time knowing what one would be worth. I've seen some of the MEGO figures in a retro toy store in Sweden before, and they cost about 100-120 dollars a piece, is that a reasonable price? They were in pretty good shape from what I could see.

I'm looking for just about any of the MEGO figures, on card. They don't have to be exactly *MINT*, but in reasonable shape. Also, if I happen to see one, how do I make sure it is not the DST repro figures? I'm guessing it's as simple that it says the year they were made on the back of the card, but I just want to make sure.

If anyone could give me some rough figures of what some of the figures on card & mint on card are worth, I'd be very grateful as I don't want to pay too much because of my inexperience.

Thank you.

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:58 PM

Judging from what i have seen on ebay and some other places, prices on ORIGINAL Mego figures is something like this. Keep in mind this is MOC in mint/near mint condition. Less than mint may be less. Of course prices are different everywhere, this is just a general idea.
Kirk $65
Spock $65
Klingon $65
Scotty $120
McCoy $125
Uhura $110
Aliens $100- $300 except Romulan
Romulan $700 -$5000

#3 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, writing & collecting various things.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

Thank you very much, I'll write this down and hope they won't be overpriced when I get there.

How come the cost for the Romulan figure varies so much?

#4 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (TheOriginalSeriesCollector @ Sep 25 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you very much, I'll write this down and hope they won't be overpriced when I get there.

How come the cost for the Romulan figure varies so much?

I suppose its something to do with the rarity of the figure. Supposedly there was a warehouse fire back in the 70's that destroyed a large quantity of the aliens.

#5 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:Movies, music, writing &amp; collecting various things.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

Sorry, I mean why it varied so much between the figures of 700-5000, if it's in min/near mint condition. Sounds like you can get 1000 one day and 5000 the other.

Interesting about the warehouse fire though.

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:52 PM

With collectibles, an item is only worth what you can get for them. I think the prices fluctuate due to several factors,rarity of a particular figure, condition,popularity,quality of likeness,a current movie or tv series on the air,other event that puts the franchise in the forefront that increases interest in the item. Concerning the Romulan, its one of the most accurate Mego Alien figures, seems to be a fan favorite and may be more rare than the other Alien figures. I dont know what the packing ratio was for the Mego Aliens, but i know that with the crew figures, Kirk, Spock and the Klingon seem to be a little more common than the Scotty, Uhura and McCoy figures. The Romulan may have been short packed, i dont know. If you want one, you can use some patience and maybe get one for under a $1000 dollars, but if you are impatient, you may pay a lot more than that since they are not that plentiful.

#7 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for all that info, I really appreciate it.

Here's another question, what about all the other Trek stuff released by MEGO? The playsets & stuff, what are those things worth, still in box? I'm guessing I might be asking too much now since that's a whole lot of stuff included.

#8 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:47 PM

Well I'm back, and they didn't have any MEGO figure at this years toy fair, in fact they hardly had any Star Trek stuff at all. An incomplete Tricorder from Playmates was the best thing they had.

#9 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (TheOriginalSeriesCollector @ Sep 30 2009, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for all that info, I really appreciate it.

Here's another question, what about all the other Trek stuff released by MEGO? The playsets & stuff, what are those things worth, still in box? I'm guessing I might be asking too much now since that's a whole lot of stuff included.

For the best info on Star Trek collectibles and ballpark estimates on prices, pick up a good price guide, such as the one Startrekfiero from this forum put out. Its called "Star Trek: the collectibles". I am sure you can find it on Amazon or some other bookstore website fairly easily.

#10 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

So, there's this guy that are selling 6 complete MEGO figures in good condition on a Swedish auction site. The figures are: Uhura, Scotty, Spock, Kirk, Klingon & McCoy. He's asking for about 133 dollars for starting price, if you want to Buy It Now the price is 243 dollars. Are they worth either 133 or 243? These figures almost never pop up on this Swedish auction site, complete with all the gadgets, so I might jump on this, but I'd like to know if the price is right (heh). Here's a pic of them:

The auction ends in 3 days. What do you guys think?

#11 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:51 AM

Are you talking USD or swedish currency? I think that you need to look at the description. If these are mint, just removed from the card with the foil badges still in place, tight joints, no discoloration on the uniform, no headrubs, but mint condition, then i wouldnt have any problem bidding $133 USD for them. If they are in less than mint condition, with loose joints, missing foil, played with, discoloration or any other damage i would have a hard time personally bidding on the lot of them. Of course, its really just up to you, with how much you want these and also how much money you have at your disposal to put into a set of figures. From the picture, they look good to me, but pictures can be deceptive. Ask the seller questions. Also, if these are mint like they just came off of the card, and you want loose figures anyway, it would be cheaper to go ahead and buy mint off the card figures than trying buy these all MOC and opening them. IN the case of virtually mint figures, i would say the Buy it now price wouldnt be a bad deal for genuine MEGO figures.

#12 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:54 AM

USD of course. The seller says they are used but in good condition. The foils are intact, which is nice. I'll have to ask about the joints & stuff. I've always wanted these figures loose, but also on card.

Luckily, I have a birthday coming up. Maybe I'll get these.

#13 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Be sure to ask if it are the originals or the reproductions (by showing a picture of their backs)

#14 TheOriginalSeriesCollector

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, I thought it said these were the old Mego's in the listing but it doesn't say. I'll have to ask that after I get the answers for the first questions I asked him.

Funny thing is, the sellers name on the site is "Copy".

#15 startrekfiero

startrekfiero

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:37 AM

As was mentioned earlier, prices are usually based on availability and rarity but they can and do fluctuate greatly from one day to the next, so even the price guide values in collectibles books like mine can usually be used only as a reference or a starting point.
Obviously we all want to get a deal and I get e-mails all the time where collectors either found a figure or other toy for much less than what was "valued" in my book or saying that they wished they could find a certain toy in the price value I stated meaning that they are seeing examples in an even higher price range. Keep in mind that any price guide is based on an "average" value from around the time that specific book and subject matter was researched and published. I researched my book for two years right up until publication and even then many values were fluctuating on a wide range of Trek collectibles both vintage and even semi recent. Many times I would see a specific toy sell 3 or 4 times within a year and the prices could vary greatly making it difficult to come up with an average value. On some examples, I would see a rough example sell for more one week than a MIB would sell for even just a week or two later. I get asked all the time how and why this happens. With eBay, what happens with prices is based on two things. One, what is available in any given week on any given item and two, who is looking to actually bid and buy on an item in a given week. The who is very important in the equation as it is those who are actually looking and wanting to bid/buy on any given item in any given week that creates the prices for an item and it's condition. To use a scenario to help better explain this, lets say that one week someone gets a nice bonus at work and decides to buy for themselves a Trek Mego figure on eBay that they have always wanted and if the example they see during that week they happen to get into a bidding war on eBay then the price can quickly sky rocket. A few days or maybe a week later the loser from the first bidding war then tries again and gets one for themselves, maybe in similar or better condition or maybe not. Then a few weeks or say a month later those two who battled it out and caused the price to climb have now moved on and an even better MIB example of the figure then pops up for auction and if in this 7 day auction period you don't have two very interested buyers like before then the price doesn't get bid up as high even though in this case the figure up for sale is in much better quality and condition.

At any rate, like what was mentioned earlier, if you can be patient then good deals will come along. The price for those loose Mego figures is a good price assuming they are original and have all of their accessories as the starting price of $133.00 for the set breaks down to like $22.00 per figure and even the BIN makes them average out to $40. per figure which is still pretty good values as a whole for them.

Steve Kelley

#16 scifiguy94

scifiguy94

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

Andorian just went for over $400 on ebay.
MEGO ANDORIAN

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (scifiguy94 @ Mar 11 2011, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andorian just went for over $400 on ebay.
MEGO ANDORIAN

This particular item had a virtually flawless package and mint original figure which would usually command higher prices than your run of the mill dented, cracked, bent, ripped or torn packaged figures you run across on ebay all the time. The buyer also may have many of the other Mego figures in similar mint condition, perhaps even paying more for them. One day these figures may go for outrageous prices, the next, somewhat more modest prices. It really does depend on demand and condition when figuring prices for these items.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users