Photo

Star Trek Select

• Please log in to reply
1053 replies to this topic

#521 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

The select line so far is beyond what I thought it would be. I was excited to get more figures but was a little worried at how they would turn out. (I am still a little concerned about Picard). But the two that have come out so far have been some of the most fun I have had with figures in a while. Just swapping parts back and forth to see what looks the best. I don't think  a day has gone by that I haven't "played" with these figures at least once. I have also found great fun in see what other parts from older figures will work with these. I was playing around with parts this weekend and put together what I consider my all time favorite kirk figure from any line ever. I love how it looks.

1373900564_zps19ef6dbf.jpg

#522 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Very nice!

Well... now we know DST can sell us more Kirks cheap!

#523 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Evil Kirk vs Rand would be fun.

#524 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I wonder if we will see new stuff at Comic con?  Im hungry for new ships.

#525 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I hope they show the select after Picard.

#526 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

I have almost every art asylum figure released. That being said, I got my hands on deluxe Kirk and Spock today and they are easily the nicest star trek figures I own! Perfect for display and plenty of options...... I'm in love. Super freaking kudos. Job well done.

#527 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Here is a pic of the new Picard select. It looks decent and the base is great but I absolutely hate that the arms are not articulated. That gives you no option than to display it exactly as you see it. DST please don't ever do that again.

http://www.figures.c...le=dst&cat=6882

#528 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

I'd have hoped that DST would have at least added articulated arms to this figure. I understand that they need to cut costs but there's no way retail will charge us less than $25 for him as they have done for Kirk and Spock. There should have been at least as much articulation on this figure as there was on Kirk and Spock.

#529 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Well, I suppose if you gave him a hat and a cane he could do the alphabet song....

#530 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

There appears to be mid-bicep articulation in this photo.

http://www.figures.c...le=dst&cat=6882

#531 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Ok I guess I should clarify. The lack of any useful articulation in this figure is horrible. such as No shoulder joint, no elbows.

#532 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Even NECA upped their game with more creative ways to hide articulation. That Picard is nothing more than a statue being passed off as an action figure. For me it brings nothing new to the table and will be an easy pass. Sorry if this offends, but that's just not my cup of Earl Grey.

#533 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

Maybe DST spent a boatload to develop Kirk and Spock Select and are using Picard and other simplified Selects down the road to offset the cost.  Kind of like releasing 18 quadrillion phaser variants.

#534 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm almost sure DST made their money back on the Phaser haha...three times over. 

#535 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Maybe they can surprise is with interchangeable arms? That would help it out.

#536 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

Gosh... after all the excitement of Kirk and Spock, he is a let down. But it's kind of what I feared. I would like to see a good pic of his head sculpt though. I'm wondering if the paint is different from what we've seen before? Not sure I'm really into a statue, but I'm not totally writing it off yet.

#537 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

Gosh... after all the excitement of Kirk and Spock, he is a let down. But it's kind of what I feared. I would like to see a good pic of his head sculpt though. I'm wondering if the paint is different from what we've seen before? Not sure I'm really into a statue, but I'm not totally writing it off yet.

And I think that will ultimately kill the line if I'm honest...

I know DST can't do a big select figure every time but I think for the third figure into a new line, it should have been just as elaborate as Kirk and Spock. I like the idea of interchangeable arms though and if they were included, it would go a long way to improving this select but as it stands, I think DST have made a bad decision here.

One of the criticisms levelled at Kirk and Spock was the lack of articulation but that was accepted because of the interchangeable parts and the amount of poses you could get the two into. Furthermore I think basing it on recognisable scenes, as I said before, again went a long way to making Kirk and Spock awesome.

Too soon to be doing the complete opposite of Kirk and Spock and taking away even more articulation.

#538 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

10 to 1 the next Select will be Worf with a Bat'leth Or Data maybe in his Lab or something. Still wish it was Tasha Vs Armus, Or Guinan behind the bar but you never know

#539 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

Quark's Bar with Morn is what i'm hoping for, something big and all out like Kirk and Spock 

#540 tuvok47

tuvok47

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think this new Trek Select line would have to be a BLOCKBUSTER to ever hope to see characters like Guinan or Tasha Yar.  I mean, the original TNG line didn't even last long enough to see them released.  They could be the "zero articulation Khan" of a more popular figure's release I suppose, but that's pushing it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users