• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#881 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:23 PM

Interesting. Overall your probably right... aesthetically, I don't think I personally had huge issues overall with Discovery... I liked...and still like the uniforms... and discontinuity of bridge and tech overall don't give me hang ups.... I believe my biggest critiques have always been about the writing and character development... which S1 was obvious because of the changes that came along early on... S2 was better. 

I know not everyone likes it but I thought what Manny Cotto did with S4 of ENT was the way for Trek... 3 or 4 ep arcs that the tell a pretty concrete story. This would still work with exclusive content runs... order 9 - 10 episodes, 3 ep per story... 4 if its a longer one. 

#882 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:48 AM

I've said for years Enterprise Season 4 is the best way to do Star Trek, and I think it's one of the best seasons of Trek we've ever gotten. 

Having a couple multi-episode story lines that tie into an overall season arc worked so well. 

#883 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:31 AM

Multi-episode arcs can be repackaged as feature-length, direct-to-video offerings as well.

I understand the angst over the aesthetic of Discovery. I just reconcile it as a high-definition version of Roddenberry's series. If he approved of TMP, I think he'd have been pretty happy with the look of this show.

I'm also tempted to mind-wipe myself, travel back to the '60s, and review this new "Star Trek" show on NBC:

"Well, NBC is jumping on the sci-fi bandwagon with their answer to 'Lost in Space' this September. It'll be a disaster. I hear they already filmed the first episode and the network trashed it. More like Star WRECK."

"Oh boy. They cast a colored guy as a recurring character. I guess they don't get their own ship in the future."

"Another casting rumor confirmed: They're adding a Japanese fella. I guess we've already forgotten Pearl Harbor."

"Make mine LiS! Although I hate that CBS TOTALLY changed the aesthetic of this fine family show by making it in color. That wrecks everything. It's gone from looking like a classy feature film to a gimmicky TECHNICOLOR TV show. Tech-NO-color, please!"

"Pics of the Star Wreck cast has been released and the main character looks like SATAN! McCarthy was right. The godless commies own Hollyweird! At least the captain's secretary is a hot blonde."

"According to a leaked sell sheet, the Satan character is half alien, half human. Someone's really pushing their interracial agenda down everyone's throats!"

"A small glimmer of hope. They got Paul Fix to play the ship's doctor. Loved him in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and on Gunsmoke."

"If anyone saw that episode of Twilight Zone a few years back about a gremlin on the wing of an airplane, the passenger who lost his mind is the CAPTAIN of this spaceship! Ha ha ha! All hope is lost."

"A friend of mine saw plans for the Star Wreck spaceship. He said it's basically an oil can with a disk at one end and two long rockets sticking out of it at the other. There's no way to LAND the thing. So stupid. I'll take the Jupiter 2 any day."

#884 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:35 PM

ok... props to channelling all the modern day angst fans have regarding shows they love in a retro fashion! 

Point well made... which is why its only fair to judge something based on the finished product. 

I think its been said many times by multiple people what a mess Trek continuity really is... has been even since TOS... which was why I found S4 of ENT so delightful because you had a writing team that tried to being some actual continuity to the continuity. 

#885 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:20 AM

I have great fondness for what Coto tried to pull off with Season 4 of ENT. It was the game-changer the series needed a season or two earlier.

I always looked at ENT as a missed opportunity to remake Star Trek like BSG. The cast was already in place; Bakula was channeling Shatner as the whitebread captain, Blalock as the gender-swapped Spock, Billingsly as an alien version of McCoy... they're all there. Just call it "Star Trek" and boldly go.

#886 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:32 PM

I'm bit reluctant to call it a missed opportunity... as I try to judge ea series on its own merits or failures... but when you see what S4 accomplished for the franchise as a whole, your probably right... The temporal Cold War and other long running threads mucked up what it eventually became.

#887 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:44 PM

The sameness from the beginning of Enterprise didnt help it much.

While I think season 1 and 2 had significantly better continuity than Voyager, it was still too episodic.

#888 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:39 PM

I thought the crew was written pretty bland. I like Scott Bakula as an actor but his character is my least favorite captain.

I hope the rumors of a Pike series are true. He is great.

#889 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:25 AM

Aston Mount really shined in DISCO S2.

#890 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

Season 3 is coming October 15th!

https://trekmovie.co...but-in-october/

#891 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:30 AM

Maybe for Christmas I'll re-up for a month to catchup on DISCO and Picard... The franchise is in a state that I'm just not excited enough to pay for it monthly. 

#892 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:13 PM

There's a one-month free trial now. Not sure if it would apply to previous subscribers though.

I took advantage of a similar deal back in April. My wife got hooked on The Good Fight so CBS All Access was her Mother's Day gift.

#893 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, I keep getting the 1 month free trial things... and AA had other things I enjoyed, but with all the new Viacom shows being added to AA  I'll eventually come back for a few months.

#894 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:09 AM

So... if you have an account it it will give you a month for free if you go to renew. If you pay for a year it looks like you get 13 months instead of 12? at least thats how it looks... so that comes to $7.69 a month if you go commercial free. 

I was looking at all the additional content they have... its def a better value now with that.

#895 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

That does seem like a good deal. My daughter's having major flashbacks watching the Nickelodeon content.

#896 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:48 PM

I can't say theres much Nick content I enjoy... but Ren and Stimpy is always fun. Likewise, not much on BET catches my eye... but I do like Comedy Central... a few MTV shows and the Smithsonian channel prob has some interesting content.

#897 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:27 PM

For anyone who insisted they wouldn't watch Discovery unless it was "free," here you go:

https://www.startrek...DI0VPu9iM2eiP7g

Enjoy the censorship and commercial interruptions!

#898 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:54 PM

I'm betting that most people have already found a way to see it for free.

#899 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:30 AM

It might have more to do with CBS not having enough episodes of other series in the can due to the pandemic. Either way, the more who get to see some fresh Star Trek the better.

#900 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

Yep. Long time fans already made their minds up. its a great opportunity to get it in front of casual watchers and maybe get some new fans.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users