• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#81 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:14 AM

I got the enterprise...damn box is kinda heavy!

#82 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:56 AM

You can also see that the pieces aren't nearly as refined or as high quality as lego in some of the pics. It's not as apparent in real life, though. Overall I'm actually impressed with how good it is compared to lego. 

Their minifigs are indeed much better than lego minifigs, and make them look quite old fashioned in comparison. I also like them much more than star trek minimates.

As a note, Mega Bloks, when they put out individual minifigs, has so far in the lines I've collected made them variants from what is in the sets.

This bridge is actually one of the first sets where I was a little irked by the lower quality Mega Bloks bricks.  You can see how the topmost bricks on each console are the flat, smooth, thin gray blocks.  In closeup, and even visible in the pic, they are highly uneven, and it's not because I didn't snap them on well, it's because each one has varying amounts of residual plastic from the mold on the underside.  Since the residual was down inside the recess and hard to get at, I didn't bother taking the time to try and scrape them all even.  With LEGO you would not experience a problem like this.  These inconsistencies occur on other bricks and in other sets too but it stood out more than ever here.

True about the minimates.  Lately, minimates just fall apart the minute I start trying to pose them or even sometimes when I just pick them up.  Which makes their "keychain" TMNT minimates just plain ridiculous (I assume they put the keyring on to get around licensing conflicts, probably with Mattel and Mega Bloks).  The paint is also often really poor and the accessories warp very easily.  Not good.  I actually would like to stop collecting the TMNT line now that Mega Bloks are rocking it!

#83 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:57 AM

I got the enterprise...damn box is kinda heavy!

Let us know how long it takes to put together!  And, if there are any internal features at all...saucer opens up?  Etc?

#84 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

As a note, Mega Bloks, when they put out individual minifigs, has so far in the lines I've collected made them variants from what is in the sets.

That hasn't always been the case, but I wouldn't mind at all if they did a window box set with all the main crew. They could add in Rand and Chapel as exclusive incentives. With Halo and TMNT there's so many different set options to acquire those characters, they have to make the variant figures in the smaller sets to keep things interesting. I know I love that translucent, almost radioactive green Leonardo for the new movie that I recently got! Would love to see them make a Defiant from the Tholians Web with some bricks made of that same plastic!

#85 sharpe

sharpe

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:48 PM

That hasn't always been the case, but I wouldn't mind at all if they did a window box set with all the main crew. They could add in Rand and Chapel as exclusive incentives. With Halo and TMNT there's so many different set options to acquire those characters, they have to make the variant figures in the smaller sets to keep things interesting. I know I love that translucent, almost radioactive green Leonardo for the new movie that I recently got! Would love to see them make a Defiant from the Tholians Web with some bricks made of that same plastic!

I'd love some more of the other characters like Trevelyan, Khan, Mudd, Romulans, Journey to Babel set, etc.

#86 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

If sales are strong is imagine we'd see another line of TOS sets and perhaps the possibility of some TNG sets too. The Enterprise D at the same size as their giant enterprise would be incredible as would a bridge play set.

I'd like to see more in the way of planet scapes

#87 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:47 AM

I found a few of these sets at Books a Million of all places, so maybe they might show up at some of the brick and mortar retailers too. I was so excited to find Star Trek in the wild that I grabbed a couple of extra sets just for the mini-figures! I wish there were other options to get extras of the characters included in the bridge set.

#88 sharpe

sharpe

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

I found a few of these sets at Books a Million of all places, so maybe they might show up at some of the brick and mortar retailers too. I was so excited to find Star Trek in the wild that I grabbed a couple of extra sets just for the mini-figures! I wish there were other options to get extras of the characters included in the bridge set.

How was the price in comparison to Amazon?

#89 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

I got both "The City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Day of the Dove" sets at Books a Million for $16.99/each. I think Amazon had them for $14.99 and I had free shipping with Prime membership. So definitely not a bad mark up on Books a Millions side. If these show up at Walmart and Target I'd dare say they will be a hit.

#90 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

I saw them there, too.  BAM has got a fairly large section that's like an adult collector shop in the middle of the store.  I think that's the type of outlet where we will maybe see these, but probably not at Walmart/Target.  I would actually be surprised to see them at TRU, even, but maybe!

At any rate, you bought two great little sets!  Now you are on that slippery slope, soon you will need the transporter and bridge, too!

I've been messing around with my Trek Kre-O from 2013.  Definitely not as nice as the Mega Bloks, but still pretty fun.  Shame that Kre-O died so quickly... but honestly if Kre-O had survived, we may never have had Mega Bloks, so I'm glad it happened this way!  Anyway, I discovered today that you can still buy the Kre-O for pretty decent prices.  I never did pick up that Enterprise/Klingon Battlecruiser 2-pack...hmmm....

#91 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Looks like the UK are finally getting these....

http://m.zavvi.com/e...=star trek mega

#92 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

I built my USS enterprise.

I'm impressed. This is a mammoth set, its vast! Utterly and ridiculously large.

It's also heavy. VERY heavy.

Whilst I love it, and completing it gave me so much excitement, there are a few things I'd have done differently but kind of understand why they've been done. The ship can't be removed from its stand without a huge block of plates sticking out from the bottom of the ship. I guess you could call it the ships anchor into the base.

Anyway, it's just insanely big. Insanely big.

#93 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

Here is an album of it from Reddit that was shared by R_Spc.

It really is an impressive looking set.

http://m.imgur.com/a/oXbfh

#94 Shinzon

Shinzon

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:21 PM

Do we know what this license actually entails? Is it going to stay just TOS? I wish it was new trek, or Deep Space Nine/Voyager.

#95 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:35 PM

At the moment it just looks like TOS. Depending on sales of this line it's likely they'll branch out into TNG however I wouldn't count on DS9 or Voyager sets.

#96 Shinzon

Shinzon

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

Is JJ Verse included?

#97 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:25 AM

I'm not sure but my guess is that it's an option for them but ultimately something we won't see.

I think we might see Mega Bloks release Star Trek: Discovery sets though.

But all of this depends on how well their current Star Trek collector series line works out for them. If it's not profitable then we won't see anything else beyond what's already been released.

It's a nice line of collectables if you love construction kits or even if you don't but love model kits or being creative. I mean the Enterprise set is just a one of a kind, once in a lifetime piece of merchandise I think fans have got to have (money and space depending) because it is just such a must have piece for any collection. It'll be one of those sets that in 5 to 10 years time will be worth thousands on eBay and will go down as a classic vintage collectors piece.

#98 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

I just grabbed the TMNT Technodrome, ~3,000 pieces, from Toys R Us.  It's the TMNT equivalent of the Enterprise set, same price point, same collector hype-factor, same general number of pieces.

I'm feeling the pull now toward the Enterprise, if only because I am realizing I may never have another chance to get something like this.  (yeah...right...that's how they always play us, isn't it?)

But something I'm wondering about.  The TMNT collector community is abuzz speculating that the Technodrome is both TRU-exclusive and limited quantity, based on the fact that it's really large (shelf space hog), really expensive (adults only), and the only way to make something like that happen in the toy world is a retailer exclusive.

I haven't seen as much talk about the Enterprise in this regard.  Is it limited, and if so, how much?  Is it exclusive to any particular retailer or set of retailers?

Answers to these questions would help me plan a strategy for when/how I will buy one...

When LEGO are proving a more effective investment strategy than gold and stocks, and Mega Bloks is catching up to them in quality and awesome factor (and beloved franchise licenses), this may be the perfect storm to be sure and pick up at least one, if not more, of these awesome sets.  I'm also planning to somehow make the Ghostbusters LEGO firehouse happen before the year is up...

#99 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

As far as I'm aware the only place you can buy the Enterprise set is on Amazon US and Zavvi in the UK. I'm not certain that it is an exclusive to those retailers though and believe that if retailers were interested in stocking it, they'd be able to. TRU in the UK are so so bad at stocking anything Star Trek related simply due to the popularity of Star Trek among kids.

#100 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

TRU in the US does not stock the Trek Mega Bloks, either.  Perhaps turned off by the KRE-O experience?

I will probably end up ordering it from Amazon.  Free Prime shipping, plus 5% cash back on Amazon Prime Store Card, plus the ability to spend my Amazon Rewards Card points on it...  I just hope that I have a bit of time to do so because I need to give it a rest for a month or two.  This has been an absolutely incredible year for toys from my favorite properties (given the 50th, Trek could have stood to be a lot more exciting, but it is what it is).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users