Star Trek V posed figures

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:36 PM

How big are these figures? Would they fit in a display with the art asylum stuff or are they just too bulky/tall?

#2 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

they are about 8" tall and come with a very large diorama type stand with the background card that makes it appear in a scene of the movie. I dont like statues that much and wish these were action figures, which would have been infinitely better.

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Jun 14 2007, 06:52 PM) View Post
they are about 8" tall and come with a very large diorama type stand with the background card that makes it appear in a scene of the movie. I dont like statues that much and wish these were action figures, which would have been infinitely better.

What scale are the heads, do you think they could be cast or headswapped onto DST figures? I believe they are plastic, might be able to get some use out of them... Sybok would be cool to make into a DST figure.

#4 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:24 AM

I think they are some of the worst looking "figures" even made other then Sybok! LOL
As you can see I doubt that the heads remove unless you cut them off.

#5 hemble

hemble

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:military models, Star Trek, custom figures

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

A mate of mine got these a number oy years ago he was going to see if he could use them on mego bodies but they are out of scale and the heads are'nt that good.
So he asked me to repiant them and they came out really well, don't get me wrong there was alot of work involved especially for the heads I had to remove the paint with nail polish remover and they have great detail underneath all that paint but still once painted you only get about 80% likeness's of the characters.

Cheers
Ron

#6 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(FHC @ Jun 15 2007, 07:24 AM) View Post
I think they are some of the worst looking "figures" even made other then Sybok! LOL
As you can see I doubt that the heads remove unless you cut them off.

If I cut them off and put the heads on AA/DST figures would they look out of place?

#7 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jun 15 2007, 10:30 AM) View Post
If I cut them off and put the heads on AA/DST figures would they look out of place?

The heads wouldnt be compatible with the DST figures at all IMO. The heads are a lot larger than the DST figures. I didnt like that they came already posed and that the packaging was so flimsy that its nearly impossible to find one without damage.

#8 hemble

hemble

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:military models, Star Trek, custom figures

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

What if you cut the heads of and shrunk them that might work

#9 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

I have these...and man they are rough. Still not sure what they were thinkign when they did them...

Sallah

#10 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

They aren't any worse than the Applause vinyl statues. In fact, I think they were better and that was the market they were going for.

#11 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:37 AM

These had better bodies, but the Applause were much better in likeness. That has to be the worst McCoy ever.

#12 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:08 AM

Yeah, he looks more like Regis Philbin.

Sallah

#13 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

It is so ironic that you posted this link, because I was just going to start looking for picx of those figures for the Ref Site. And I agree, I had to take a double take on the McCoy and had to read the box to see who it was.

#14 startrekfiero

startrekfiero

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, I have the set of these as well and they are certainly not the best figures or packaging.
But you have to remember these were made by Galoob who was known for there hit or miss accuracy in their toys.
I remember going to a convention a few years after these were produced and saw them on a dealers table for a few bucks each at the time so they were not big sellers then. Now I think they are kind of hard to find and there semi high prices probably reflect that fact more than any quality or accuracy which we all agree they lack.
The sad thing is that these are still Trek items and so many of us Trek collectors still bought them anyway didn't we wink.gif

#15 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

LOL....I was like 3 when Star Trek 5 came out. Eek...

#16 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

3!?! Man I feel old... I turned 11 that year.

Ah the summer of 89....the summer of the last true blockbuster. Not Star Trek V (which I actually enjoy), not Indiana Jones, not Ghostbusters 2........Batman. You couldn't go anywhere or do anything without seeing somebody with something Batman on. Sure, Dark Knight has made more money than it did, but the 89 Batman wasn't just a movie, it was an EVENT.

Poor Star Trek V never had a chance....

Sallah

#17 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (sallah @ Dec 22 2008, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3!?! Man I feel old... I turned 11 that year.

Ah the summer of 89....the summer of the last true blockbuster. Not Star Trek V (which I actually enjoy), not Indiana Jones, not Ghostbusters 2........Batman. You couldn't go anywhere or do anything without seeing somebody with something Batman on. Sure, Dark Knight has made more money than it did, but the 89 Batman wasn't just a movie, it was an EVENT.

Poor Star Trek V never had a chance....

Sallah

You feel old because you turned 11 that year? I turned 26 that year! That WAS some year. I ordered the Star Trek V figures from a coupon i got when i went to see the movie. I absolutely loved "BATMAN" and in my opinion there hasnt been one that has topped it yet. Not even the current "Dark Knight", which i dont like. "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" was a great movie that year. Loved it. While i think Star Trek V was the weakest of the TOS movies, i still watch it and laugh. "Batman" was THE event of that year though.

#18 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

I had a whole row of shelves devoted to "Batman" stuff in 1989. I was obsessed!!! My two pet gerbils were named Vicki Vale and Alicia!!!
In 1990, it came down and I replaced it was some Star Trek stuff. I remember my best friend told me he gave me new Star Trek obsession a year before it fizzled out just like my Batman craze. Sadly... the Star Trek obsession is still going strong.

#19 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Dec 22 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You feel old because you turned 11 that year? I turned 26 that year! That WAS some year. I ordered the Star Trek V figures from a coupon i got when i went to see the movie. I absolutely loved "BATMAN" and in my opinion there hasnt been one that has topped it yet. Not even the current "Dark Knight", which i dont like. "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" was a great movie that year. Loved it. While i think Star Trek V was the weakest of the TOS movies, i still watch it and laugh. "Batman" was THE event of that year though.

We are totally on the same page man. The 89 Batman is still the best Batman film by far in my eyes (and I also was not a fan of the conviluted, overly-hyped, way too drawn out Dark Knight). In fact, as much as I love the Trek films, Batman is my all time favorite movie (I even named one of our sons Keaton Christopher....Keaton for Michael Keaton, Christopher for Christopher Reeve).

Star Trek V has really grown on me over the years (much like the motion picture and the search for spock). Isn't it weird that for those early films we got figures for the odd numbered movies at the time of their release and not the more popular even numbered ones? The Motion Picture, Search For Spock, and Final Froniter? Figures. Wrath Of Khan and Voyage Home? No figures (at least not until years after their release...).

Sallah

#20 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

Batman was and is the only movie I went to see alone because no one I knew wanted to see it when it first came out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users