#21 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(Sybeck1 @ Nov 12 2006, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bad when you have to reply to yourself!! tongue.gif tongue.gif

Sybeck, the color of the handle was not gold, it was suppose to be Dark Bronze, (For Reference look at the STTE $9.99 Water Pistol, They got it EXACTLY right) what happened was poor QA on AA/DST's part in checking the factory in China as production began, either they did not know and did not ask, or they did know and did not care, has to be one or the other.

And Rick you know that they were really interested in getting the B/W release as close as possible without any retooling, seems their interest wained in getting it close with the future releases, you know I would have been happy to help out if ask as I was in the B/W release.

No one can say that the market is not out there for these props, I monitor Ebay closely as well as several Props Boards, I can tell you that if a company like AA/DST can produce a prop that will fit in between Kits costing $100's of dollars (Like those at Rodd.com) and those like Master Replicas that sell for Thousands of dollars, there is a market out there of people who will buy them.

Personally, I will be glad to see the stock run out, maybe then companies like AA/DST will have no choice but to move on to something new.

#22 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

I think what we will see Propmaster is that DST won't move on. They have already expressed their distaste for Tek. Its weird ... and I am not pointing fingers ... but Rick says sells rock and DST says they don't justify looking into new items. I am more likely to trust Rick on this as I can see his "Out of Stock" reminder on his page, but we've never seen a quarterly report from DST (and I'm not saying we deserve to or should).

I am just wondering why DST's interest has wained and why there isn't more attention to detail. Certainly it cannot cost that much more to paint the fins on a Phaser, and even if it does, pass that cost onto happier fans. I wouldn't mind paying a little more to get more accuracy (damn ... I just remembered the Ent-E fiasco and all the trouble it brought in the AA forum).

I don't mind having a Phaser around if its selling, but it would go to reason that if this Phaser is doing so well, accurate, decently priced items that are NOT TOS Phasers would do well also.

#23 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

Oh I agree, they have 4 other series plus 10 movies to draw from, so many cool toys and props, But who am I to say..... dry.gif

#24 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Nov 12 2006, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I agree, they have 4 other series plus 10 movies to draw from, so many cool toys and props, But who am I to say..... dry.gif

You're the Don King of the Prop World.

#25 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

I will be ordering this phaser as well, since i have the other three. If it was just a repackaged phaser, i would pass, but since its yet another color AND a Anniversary packaged phaser, i will spring for it. Hopefully this will be the last variation of this phaser unless its comes packaged with a communicator or tricorder at some point.

One other point of interest about the AA Phaser as far as replacing the batteries. My first release AA phaser died a while back, so i decided to change the batteries in it. It has 3 batteries in it and i just happened to have some of them here at the house. I bought a set of"RG13" batteries at one of the local "Dollar" stores sometime ago, and it was a pack of 8 batteries that i thought might come in handy sometime, but had forgotten about them until now. I was pretty surprised that they were the right size and the old Phaser works great now with some new juice flowing to it. Thought i would mention this in case anyone here needs these batteries, take a look at your local Dollar store before you spend a pile of dough for batteries elsewhere. Heck, for a dollar , even if the batteries were dead i wouldnt be out too much.

#26 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:20 PM

I was hoping they would release a Red, White and Blue one for Veteran's Day.... roflmao.gif Now that one I would actually buy.... wink.gif

#27 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Nov 12 2006, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No one can say that the market is not out there for these props, I monitor Ebay closely as well as several Props Boards, I can tell you that if a company like AA/DST can produce a prop that will fit in between Kits costing $100's of dollars (Like those at Rodd.com) and those like Master Replicas that sell for Thousands of dollars, there is a market out there of people who will buy them.

I've been suggesting for over a year now since DST got the license to step up the Trek Tek a bit. It doesn't have to be anything in the $200-$300 range or anything like that. Just a notch or two above where AA's Trek Tek was. The STTE comm showed that a good replica that is not quite up to the level of prop collector quality but above role-play toy quality can do extremely well even with a limited market (in the case of STTTE, a single source item). AA raised the bar on role-play toys and now that DST has the license, they are in a perfect position to raise that bar again. A higher quality role-play toy/replica that is in the $50-$80 neighborhood (depending on which prop it is based on) does have a market and can sell well.

I figure with DST's more limited market, any new Trek Tek will be in the $40 retail range, just like their ship releases. So, now that the price is already a bit higher than it was, DST might as well add a few more bells and whistles. Any of us who are willing to pay a bit more for more Trek Tek would most likely be willing to pay a little bit more than that for more features and we would appreciate those additions as well.

A TWOK phaser with four LED emitter and four LED sequentially flashing top panel would sell pretty weil, I think. So would a boomerang phaser with a lighted power level indicator of some fashion. A good tricorder from the TOS movies or TNG/DS9/Voyager era with a decent number of LEDs that could create an reasoably impressive light show would also be something else many fans and collectors would love to own.

#28 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

But a ST:III-IV Phaser, I think, would sell best of them all. Since such a toy was never made in the past.

#29 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:20 AM

/\ /\ /\ I know I would buy it. I would also like to have the assault phaser used in STV.

#30 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(Cpt. Phil T. Berns @ Nov 16 2006, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But a ST:III-IV Phaser, I think, would sell best of them all. Since such a toy was never made in the past.

Maybe. It's not a really well known phaser, even among Trek fans. Even in the prop world, it's a very rarely done piece. Although it is probably my very favorite phaser and I would love for them to make a toy of it, I'm not sure if it would sell better than better known phasers like the TWOK (Playmates actually made the TMP version, and made it a bit too big at that), ST5/6 assault phaser (Playmates' version was far too small and the magazine design was not done very well), or a boomerang (again, the Playmates version was too large, waaaaay too large). DST/AA could do a far better job on any of those pieces as well. Although the ST3 phaser would be somwhat easier to design for them. They can just reincorporate the TOS phaser electronics for it. They have to change the sound effects and maybe adjust the timing of the LED flashes to sync up with the new sounds, but everything else can be the same electronics-wise. They would really only have to design the body.

#31 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

Seems like the Star Trek movies have been neglected as far as new Star Trek tech or even figures for the longest time now. I wish playmates would get back the license and rerelease all of their older stuff as well as the stuff the planned but never released and some all new stuff. Its not beyond reason, playmates did relaunch their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line after it was dead for years. I see tons of TMNT crap on the Target and Walmart shelves that never seems to move. If they would release a few things at a time to see how it goes i think it would catch on. Maybe im living in the past again, back when you could go to the store once a week and find new figures without having to wait months to get the next wave, or having to pay shipping and handling charges and buy sight unseen.

#32 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

I would rather DST keep making the stuff they are doing but just add more Trek Tech. DST and AA figures are much better than the stuff Playmated did. I could never go back to that after what we have now. Playmates was good at the time but the torch has been passed. It would be great to see Trek stuff on the shelves of Target and Walmart again but I don't see it happening at least untill the new movie comes out (if then).
I would really like to see some of the TNG thru Voyager style phasers done by DST.

Now is the 40th anniversary phaser just the Bronze handeled phaser or is the new colored one considered 40th anniversary as well?
edit: just checked Newforce's website and answered my own question. The new color is a 40th anniversary.

#33 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

I agree. I really like AA's work on this line. Compared to what AA and DST have released, Playmates' line is subpar, IMHO (their role-play toys especially, in comparison). I don't mind waiting longer for releases as long as the same level of quality and detail remain in the sculpts. I just want to know for sure Trek Tek will continue. I don't mind waiting a year or even two for a release as long as I knew there was something coming down the pipe in the area of role-play and ships. Right now DST seems pretty hesitant in going ahead with either of those lines and that is the only thing that bothers me.

#34 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:55 AM

Hey all,

Sorry to sound thick but does anyone have a proper list of the TOS Phaser that have been released.

I have the original Phaser, White Handled, Bronze Handled and have now seen the new version in the 40th box.

Are there any more or is that it?

Thanks and take care,
Matty-lad

#35 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(Matty-lad @ Nov 20 2006, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey all,

Sorry to sound thick but does anyone have a proper list of the TOS Phaser that have been released.

I have the original Phaser, White Handled, Bronze Handled and have now seen the new version in the 40th box.

Are there any more or is that it?

Thanks and take care,
Matty-lad

I am pretty sure that this is the complete list
1. Black handle, gray body Original issue TOS phaser
2. Reissue of TOS phaser (Same color)
3. White handle,black body (New Force exclusive)
4. Bronze handle,blue body phaser(40th Anniversary packaging)
5. Black handle, blue body (40th anniversary packaging)

#36 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:37 PM

Then they are these 2:

The All Grey Prototype With the Black Phaser 1

Then the rarest of the rare, the #1 Prototype from 2003 Before paint ...It has no electronics . This was the first prototype produced prior to the run beginning in 2003.

wink.gif

#37 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:32 AM

Thank all for this.

One more question. Is there any difference between the original Phaser and the re-issue one?

Thanks again,
Matty-lad

#38 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(Matty-lad @ Nov 21 2006, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank all for this.

One more question. Is there any difference between the original Phaser and the re-issue one?

Thanks again,
Matty-lad

Do you mean the original AA release and the one that just came out in the anniversary packaging with the black handle? The latest one (fourth version) has a blue body and, I think, a glossy black handle. The original release had a grey body and a matte black handle and that one was also reissued last year in exactly the same color scheme.

So the first two releases were exactly the same with a grey body and matte black handle. Then came the B&W, then the bronze/gold handle version with blue body, and now the gloss black handle with blue body. Four versions in five seperate releases.

#39 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(Matty-lad @ Nov 21 2006, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank all for this.

Thanks again,
Matty-lad

If your referring to the list i posted a few posts up, the original and the reissue were exactly the same as far as i know. The packaging was the same to i believe.

#40 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:44 AM

DST did add a sticker to the bottom panel with their info on it for the reissue for any packaging variant collectors out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users