70 replies to this topic

#61 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hey all,

So that begs the question, how are we getting the Romulan Commander?

Take care,
Matty-lad

#62 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

Well the Centurion will be the first "troop builder" of this line. It seems to work very well in the BSG line with the cylons and the SG line with the Serpent Guards. Im really surprised DST didnt jump on this long ago.

#63 AdmiralNogura

AdmiralNogura

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hate to be nitpicky but I'm confused. Are we calling this new figure the Romulan Centurion because it was actually labeled "Centurion" at the display? Because the figure seems to be based on the "Romulan scope operator" from "Balance of Terror", not the Centurion. You know, the guy who served on the Praetor's vessel. I didn't think the term Centurion referred to foot soldiers, but rather officers of a somewhat higher rank. Check the pic and see if you agree.

http://memory-alpha....pe_operator.jpg

#64 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 26 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the Centurion will be the first "troop builder" of this line. It seems to work very well in the BSG line with the cylons and the SG line with the Serpent Guards. Im really surprised DST didnt jump on this long ago.

Really? You are surprised that DST ... the company who can't seem to complete crews ... didn't get on the troop builder bandwagon?

#65 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (slayerone76 @ Jul 26 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? You are surprised that DST ... the company who can't seem to complete crews ... didn't get on the troop builder bandwagon?

Its just weird because their other lines most popular figures are the troop builders: upteen million cylons, SG1 serpent guard (reg/elite), SGA wraith & wraith drone. They consistently sell better in stores and sell for higher prices on ebay. It literally took 7 years for Trek to jump on board. I just dont understand how DST cant figure out what makes SG & BSG successful (more unique sculpts, troop builders, diversified waves) and apply that to Trek. I guess TOS Wave 5 is a start and now this Centurion but it might just be too little too late.

#66 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (AdmiralNogura @ Jul 26 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hate to be nitpicky but I'm confused. Are we calling this new figure the Romulan Centurion because it was actually labeled "Centurion" at the display? Because the figure seems to be based on the "Romulan scope operator" from "Balance of Terror", not the Centurion. You know, the guy who served on the Praetor's vessel. I didn't think the term Centurion referred to foot soldiers, but rather officers of a somewhat higher rank. Check the pic and see if you agree.

http://memory-alpha....pe_operator.jpg

Admittedly, I haven't seen any pics from the Con with him being labeled as a Centurion, and that is simply what I've been called him. This is based on my recent viewing of "The Enterprise Incident" where Romulan crewmembers that wore the shawl were referred to as "Centurions," meanwhile the other Romulans that weren't wearing the shawl were not called as such. The Centurions in that episode also wore the helmets, but despite lacking a helmet Kirk was referred to as Centurion due to the shawl. The only other Romulans wearing the shawl were the Commander, and Sub-Commander, so it most likely is a sign of an officer rank rather than a petty officer type.

I apologize if that was an incorrect assumption, it's been awhile since I have watched "Balance of Terror," however, the scope operator may have simply been a Centurion as well.

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 26 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its just weird because their other lines most popular figures are the troop builders: upteen million cylons, SG1 serpent guard (reg/elite), SGA wraith & wraith drone. They consistently sell better in stores and sell for higher prices on ebay. It literally took 7 years for Trek to jump on board. I just dont understand how DST cant figure out what makes SG & BSG successful (more unique sculpts, troop builders, diversified waves) and apply that to Trek. I guess TOS Wave 5 is a start and now this Centurion but it might just be too little too late.

Actually, both AA and DST have tried it before, remember? They were the Borg. Although, both were pretty bad attempts at such as AA's Borg designs were ridiculous, and DST's Borg, well... I think we've all said plenty about that in recent months. It surprises me too that they haven't tried the army-builder way in a more practical way, especially since it would be a reason to include some of the most interesting species out there. TOS has Klingons and Romulans, TNG had Romulans and Cardassians, DS9 had Cardassians, Klingons, Jem'Hadar, and Voyager even had some interesting non-Borg baddies in the form of the Hirogen, and even Species 8472. Granted, we could count the Kazon, but... I don't think anyone really cares for an army of them. Hell, if it meant being able to get a duty uniform version of Hoshi, and a MACO figure or two, I'd buy a squad of Reptillians.

They really should be taking advantage of these... They could use the same sculpt for most of them, and yet no doubt they'd be bought several times.

#67 AdmiralNogura

AdmiralNogura

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jul 26 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Admittedly, I haven't seen any pics from the Con with him being labeled as a Centurion, and that is simply what I've been called him.  This is based on my recent viewing of "The Enterprise Incident" where Romulan crewmembers that wore the shawl were referred to as "Centurions," meanwhile the other Romulans that weren't wearing the shawl were not called as such.  The Centurions in that episode also wore the helmets, but despite lacking a helmet Kirk was referred to as Centurion due to the shawl.  The only other Romulans wearing the shawl were the Commander, and Sub-Commander, so it most likely is a sign of an officer rank rather than a petty officer type.

I apologize if that was an incorrect assumption, it's been awhile since I have watched "Balance of Terror," however, the scope operator may have simply been a Centurion as well.

Lol, no biggie JediGreedo. I just didn't know if I had missed a label saying that or something. I was unaware of the terminology used in "The Enterprise Incident" for the soldiers, nor did I know about the significance of the shawls. When I saw the figure, I just thought, THATS THAT OFFICER FROM "BALANCE OF TERROR"! It's actually a really great sculpt of him, a better one than some of the primary characters done in the past, haha.

Either way, I'm happy to be getting a Romulan soldier. Let's hope a generic Klingon and Red Shirt follow. I'm really getting excited about these TRU Exclusive waves!

#68 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

Cool, who knows, maybe it is indeed supposed to be the scope operator from Balance of Terror and they're soliciting it as a 2-pack now, leaving potentially a shawl-less Romulan as the TRU figure. Now that'd be awesome. biggrin.gif

#69 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

What's up with the dirty Kirk? Is he going to be packaged with the Gorn in a "Arena" two pack or something?

#70 Captain Alex

Captain Alex

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Collecting almost anything Trek, especially props.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

Yep, he is paired up with the Gorn captain. See Kirk and Gorn Two Pack.

#71 AdmiralNogura

AdmiralNogura

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jul 26 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool, who knows, maybe it is indeed supposed to be the scope operator from Balance of Terror and they're soliciting it as a 2-pack now, leaving potentially a shawl-less Romulan as the TRU figure.  Now that'd be awesome. biggrin.gif

Hadn't even considered that! Man, that WOULD be awesome. Bring on the two packs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users